Kitchen Counter extension

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
After damaging our dinette table because I forgot to lower the counter top extension while brining in the main slide out, I decided to raise it to be the same height as the counter top. The photos also show the hinges we changed to after the originals broke off. The extension is a bit too heavy for the original hinges. The new counter material on the 09"s may be lighter, I'm not sure though. The hinges came from Menards @ $4.49 ea.

Attachments

• IM000005.jpg
    IM000005.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 338
  • IM000007.jpg
    IM000007.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 321
Last edited:

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Ray, that looks great and is something that has been on my list of things to do. I do have a question though. Do you hinges allow for the extension to fold down or does the whole thing come off for traveling? Nice job.
Peace
Dave

Ray LeTourneau

Ray, that looks great and is something that has been on my list of things to do. I do have a question though. Do you hinges allow for the extension to fold down or does the whole thing come off for traveling? Nice job.
Peace
Dave
Dave, the hinges fold perfectly flat. and closer to the cabinet than the originals. Very nice hinge.

ChopperBill

Do you think the stock hinges if shimmed up and out would do the same thing? A couple of blocks of oak and I would be after that mod.

Ray LeTourneau

Do you think the stock hinges if shimmed up and out would do the same thing? A couple of blocks of oak and I would be after that mod.
Yes the stock hinges will work too. Ours just broke from the weight of the shelf bouncing in the down position going down the road. I think they may have been installed incorrectly???:confused:.

vangoes

The stock hinges are too flimsy to support the weight of the extension. Mine broke in the 90 degree elbow and we never used the extension at all. I've been looking to replace them but have not found any yet. Any suggestions where to get some. Does Lowes/HD have any?

jbeletti

Hi Van and Carol,

Check out the heavy duty hinges pictured in this reply. I think Tom and Sandy Pearcy ordered a set of these.

Jim

wfwilson

Founding Canadian Region Director - Retired
Ray
Today traveling our hinge broke on rough Roads. The ones you purchased at Menard's are they strong enough and how have the lasted so Far for you?
Thanks for your comments
Wayne

Ray LeTourneau

Ray
Today traveling our hinge broke on rough Roads. The ones you purchased at Menard's are they strong enough and how have the lasted so Far for you?
Thanks for your comments
Wayne
Ours have held up just fine. They have been in use for just under 2 years. The package indicates they are rated at 130# but I'm not sure if that's each or a pair. If you don't have a Menards handy, I can get them for you and ship them. $16.00 total unless it costs more to get them to Canada??

TXBobcat

Fulltime
OK.. Ray it is all your fault. My hinge on the cabinet broke at the 90* bend also. Now I need to buy a set. I like the cost of the ones at Menards but Menards is up around the Great Lakes. Any suggestions.

Ray LeTourneau

OK.. Ray it is all your fault. My hinge on the cabinet broke at the 90* bend also. Now I need to buy a set. I like the cost of the ones at Menards but Menards is up around the Great Lakes. Any suggestions.

Gee, I wonder if I can get a quantity discount at Menards.:D:D

cmart

Jim that Landmark is looking bigger and better all the time. Did you take a new picture to put on here????

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
Ray, where did you get the material to build the extension itself? I can't find anything close to a match.

Ray LeTourneau

Ray, where did you get the material to build the extension itself? I can't find anything close to a match.
Lefty, the extension was a factory option at the time of purchase. It was originally mounted lower and the original hinges broke twice. So I fixed it. For good!:D You may be able to get one from the factory???

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Ray, looking at your Mod, if I am right you added a block to the cabinet to push the hinge out so it would match the end of the cabinet. My bracket was mounted to the cabinet. How thick of shim did you add to the cabinet. Your stain and mounting looks very nice..

Meet you at the rally.

Ray LeTourneau

Ray, looking at your Mod, if I am right you added a block to the cabinet to push the hinge out so it would match the end of the cabinet. My bracket was mounted to the cabinet. How thick of shim did you add to the cabinet. Your stain and mounting looks very nice..

Meet you at the rally.
Thanks! I just measured from the underside of the counter top edge to the cabinet and it was a skosh under 1-1/2". I made the blocks 1-1/2 X 2" X 8". I used white oak and natural stain and semi gloss spray.