1 Local Heartland dealer "can't" fix units not sold by them (so they claim)

NYSUPstater

Have an issue w/ a trim piece on a slide of a 2018 Big Country. Thought it may be just some screws popped out, but upon removing them see they were broken in 1/2, so there is an issue as to why. Anyways, stopped by a recently opened Heartland/Big Country dealer and asked to speak to service dep't. 1st question was, "Did you buy it from us?". They claim that DMV hasn't "issued" them a service license yet so they cannot do any work on units not sold by them. Saying to myself "this is BS", I ask , "So what you're saying is, you can sell units and fix your own units you sell but not those bought from another facility?". The reply, "Yes, that's correct". I'm no expert in DMV law and Lord knows NY has a bunch of weird laws, but I cannot for the life of me see how they can sell units in the 1st place and repair just "their own" as you have to have a DMV license to see anything at all as a dealership. Personally, I feel they just don't want to fix anything not bought from them. Was told that maybe in a month they will have their license. See ya!

Abear79

Which screws? Some are cut flush so when the slide closes they dont hit the seals or camper.

danemayer

Their excuse sounds like it's made up. But RV dealers are not required to do warranty work on units they don't sell. Some will. Some won't. If they're already busy, they're more likely to decline.

Abear79

Wow, Yeah something not lined up are something. You are thinking the screws sheared off in the coach?

sengli

We ran into this same scenario as well. The local dealer basically told me if you didnt buy it here, sure we will fix it but it wait will be 4-5 months to get you in. When I pressed him, he finally said sorry for your luck, but he wasnt going to help us out.He simply had enough service work with his own units, didnt need the additional work. At that point you are stuck with maybe finding a mobile RV repair guy, and paying the service call. Its really pathetic the way this works, very unlike when you buy a new car for $50k plus.

kowAlski631

We've had great success with independent repair shops. Call Heartland and tell them what is going on. You may be pleasantly surprised with their suggestions.

BusManRG

We've had great success with independent repair shops. Call Heartland and tell them what is going on. You may be pleasantly surprised with their suggestions.
I second that! Rather than driving 90 miles back to the dealer, I gave them a call and asked if we could take it to a local shop. They said I could take it pretty much anywhere I wanted and they would work with whoever I chose. But they did give me some suggestions for shops they had worked with previously. The repair was done the same day we took the unit into the shop rather than having to let them keep it for days until they could get to it. It's the only way to go!

Sandy

terribruce

retired Oregon Chapter Leaders
Well I think I agree with you!! Think its a bunch of bull, but hope you find the right dealer to take care of your issue. Good luck.

Terri

danemayer

Well I think I agree with you!! Think its a bunch of bull, but hope you find the right dealer to take care of your issue. Good luck.

Terri
Most dealers have very busy service departments, often telling owners that it may be weeks or even months before they can do a particular job.

Now flip the problem over. Suppose you had bought locally and your dealer just takes anyone who knocks on the door. First come, first served. Then you find out you had to wait months for service because the guy who saved a bunch of money buying out of state was in line ahead of you.

avvidclif

Be interesting to know how much time those "very busy service departments" are spending on warranty repairs that would never have been needed to begin with if the factory had any kind of QC????

Miller0758

This may be why Heartland suggests you buy locally but, there are times when circumstances change such as us relocating or someone going out of business. In those cases, Heartland should (all manufacturers) work with the purchaser. Companies need to be more than one dimensional and provide support after the sale.

avvidclif

Don't take it wrong, Heartland has great support, better than the other companies I have dealt with. A lot of the problems wouldn't have been there with a good QC dept. BUT then again it's job security for support.:rolleyes: