Replacing A Roof

Go-Fly

Over the fourth we were camping in a Oregon park with family and friends. A camper three doors down thought it would be a good idea to run up to an Indian Reservation in Washington, buy class 1.3G commercial fireworks, bring them back to Oregon and light them off on top of his picnic tables. You can guess what happen to the roof of my new 2017 3760EL. One rocket had a light launch load or a long fuse but it came down on my roof and went off. Burned a hole were it hit and all kinds of little melted holes in the rubber roof and slide-outs. I'm now looking at a new roof being installed on the trailer and new roofs on all three sides. Burned the paint on my 2017 Ram dually also. The paint on the truck can be fixed. My question is, has anyone had a new roof installed and what are the pit falls that I may run into?

wehavefun

RVROOF.COM

Didn't see any locations listed in the north west but make a call, take a trip, never worry about your roof again!

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

danemayer

Replacing an RV roof is pretty invasive. It includes removing the air conditioners, fans, vents, skylight, ladder, TV antenna and anything else on the roof. Depending on how well the rubber material was glued down, pulling it up may damage the luan under it. The luan may have to be sanded down and possibly replaced.

In manufacturing, the rubber roof is draped so it runs a few feet down front and back and is trapped under the caps. During repair, they'll cut the rubber at the caps, creating a new seam that you'll have to carefully maintain.

When you pick up the trailer after work is completed, you'll want to get on the roof and inspect the caulking around everything that was removed. You may also want to take a garden hose and simulate rain around the air conditioners. They aren't sealed with caulk and if not installed correctly water can leak inside.

Check air conditioner and fan operation to make sure the wiring was put back correctly.

A new roof can run over $10K on larger rigs. Your insurance company may elect to try and recover their cost from your neighbor and they may ask for his contact information. If you had to call the fire dep't or filed a report, they'll will definitely want to know that. Names of witnesses would be interesting too. And if you have large deductibles on your truck and trailer, you may want to try to recover your cost.