WHY?! Is there a 70" wide King....

PoppaJR

I guess the real question is why would anybody have a custom bed made that is dang hard to replace, when 10 more minutes at the drafting table or CAD would have resulted in a standard size slide and thus a standard size mattress that would have been easy to find when you replace the object of torture that comes from the factory.
Thanks for your input.

danemayer

A residential king size mattress is 76" wide. The people making the design decisions on RVs obviously think that the 72" wide RV king bed doesn't hurt sales, while adding those 4" elsewhere helps sales. They might be thinking that once you fall asleep, you won't notice the missing 4".

If you are shopping for a mattress that better suits you, and is 72" wide, they are available from various suppliers.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
WHY?! Is there a 70" wide King....

There is such a thing as "RV King" from mattress suppliers. We have a Comfort Aire (sleep number) RV King mattress that fits perfectly in our Big Country.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PoppaJR

A residential king size mattress is 76" wide. The people making the design decisions on RVs obviously think that the 72" wide RV king bed doesn't hurt sales, while adding those 4" elsewhere helps sales. They might be thinking that once you fall asleep, you won't notice the missing 4".

If you are shopping for a mattress that better suits you, and is 72" wide, they are available from various suppliers.

Not 72", It's a 70". We can buy a custom or squish a 72" into a 70" space. I gather y'all don't have a clue either. I have a King at home, normal 76", no problem. 72" king? Great! I'd be thrilled with that. Guess I can get a slide expander... just sayin'
Seriously, thanks for your input.

alexb2000

Not 72", It's a 70". We can buy a custom or squish a 72" into a 70" space. I gather y'all don't have a clue either. I have a King at home, normal 76", no problem. 72" king? Great! I'd be thrilled with that. Guess I can get a slide expander... just sayin'

My side tables are very tight right up against the bed platform. The 72" mattress I linked worked perfect, it doesn't push up or press hard against the side tables. The mattress we took out was a 70". I suspect the platforms were designed for a standard 72" RV King and the mattress they supply is the cheapest one they could source and thus slightly undersized.

All I know is we upgraded, it was simple, it fit perfect, and we sleep really well now.

danemayer

Lots of owners have installed RV Kings in that space. Ours came from LastingImpressionsFoam.com. No problem fitting.

We have also installed inexpensive stick-on floor tile to the wood so the mattress will slide easily to change the sheets.

Attachments

• RV Bed Tile and lift.jpg
    RV Bed Tile and lift.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 54

farside291

Or, if you don't want to deal with the King RV size mattresses, cut the platform and replace with a standard full size Queen mattress. Makes making the bed soooo much easier and more walk space around the bed.

BobTheBuilder

The base of the platform is 64" wide. Assuming you cut down the OSB platform, and a queen is 60" wide, how do you deal with the protruding edge?

Dumboldles

Or, if you don't want to deal with the King RV size mattresses, cut the platform and replace with a standard full size Queen mattress. Makes making the bed soooo much easier and more walk space around the bed.

Thats what we did and works great.

Dumboldles

farside291

You cut it, I cut about 5 inches off each side. Have someone follow behind your saw with a vacuum though. What a dusty mess. Sets off the detectors in the RV.