Exterior Door Damage

BobbyandGenee

So we have an ongoing problem that everyone needs to be aware of. When we picked up our rig from the dealer, the door arm was missing. Come to find out later it was ripped off in a wind burst.

The dealer tried to put new screws in, but they ripped off.

Then they tried rivets. They ripped off on our trip this weekend.

The dealer has showed us that most units have this shock arm at the bottom of the door, where we have it at the top. After our first repair, we watched how the door would pull the frame when it opened, effectively loosening the fasteners.

We are taking it back tomorrow. I feel like the solution is to have bolts that go through the frame to the inside so the bracket stays strong.
fa375229e911f6d673fd8f3e9b3f0838.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TxCowboy

We had this issue with our mobile office, a SOB tagalong. The dealer drilled through the exterior and interior walls, put a metal plate on both sides, then used four long bolts to secure the baseplates. He used a ton of sealant on the outside. While it looks like crap, it has done a very good job of keeping the door in place while not permitting water to enter the RV through the wall.

BobbyandGenee

Sorry for the delay in getting back to this.....been crazy busy working!

So the dealer took my advise. They removed the inside "headache cushion" and drilled all the way through. They put three machine thread bolts through, and nuts and washers on the inside. Put the cushion back on and all fixed! Ironically, they were worried they would have to replace the door frame becuase is way tweeked from the door pulling loose. But after they added the new bolts, is "fixed" the tweek! So they just re did the caulking.
IMG_5451.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_5452[1].jpg
    IMG_5452[1].jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 32