Can you turn the outside park lights on 5th wheel when your vehicle

proudowner

formely cannotdecide
is not attached to it? We always see trailers with those little orange lights on and it looks awesome. Is there a switch or do you have to do some fancy wiring to get them on?

jnbhobe

Just use a piece of 12 guage wire and jump out the 7 wire plug between 12v power and the tail lights. They are side by side at the top of the plug:):):)

nhunter

You can use a four way flasher to flash the lights if you have to unhook truck from trailer in an emergency. You just need the two prong flash and use the same slots as listed above.

fishn2dmax

Wow, WHAT A GREAT IDEA- Clearance / running light flasher that could simply plug into the seven wire plug in the event of a road side emergency where the trailer has to be left on the side of road - or - it could be used for stationary lighting effects by turning off the flasher.

Sound like a fun little project for the weekend.

Thanks!!!

Tom of Ypsi

When out camping you may want to check with your neighbors about flashing lights or trailer lights on all night. Some people find the whole trailer light thingy offensive, awning lights on for a few hours seem to be ok. We did run into one campground, cannot remember where, where they did not allow anything but awning lights but this was mostly seasonal sites.

nhunter

Yopu shouldn't even need that. The flasher should just plug in because the 12V + and clearance light slots are side by each on the plug.

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
I've seen a few campers with this feature and thought it was neat thing, anyone have a step by step diagram?

If you look at the rigs electrical plug with the raised notch at the 1200 o'clock position the terminals you use are to the right and left of the notch......Kenny

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I am not sure, because I have not tried it but here is a diagram of the wire connections for a 5th wheel trailer and more..
http://www.etrailer.com/faq_wiring.aspx

If I am correct the terminals are 3 & 4 and are on the opposite side of the notch and terminal 1 & 2 are on either side of the notch and that is the trailer breaks and ground.

Be sure what terminals you are shorting when you the terminals on your trailer. I believe the 12v is terminal 4 and the trailer lights are 3. But these are on the opposite side of the notch if the drawings on the web pages I find are correct.

FWIW

Jimmyt5

If you get a car turn signal blinker you can plug it in and the trailer lights will blink, I do this sometimes at Christmas time or 4th of July.....

Jim

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
I am not sure, because I have not tried it but here is a diagram of the wire connections for a 5th wheel trailer and more..
http://www.etrailer.com/faq_wiring.aspx

If I am correct the terminals are 3 & 4 and are on the opposite side of the notch and terminal 1 & 2 are on either side of the notch and that is the trailer breaks and ground.

Be sure what terminals you are shorting when you the terminals on your trailer. I believe the 12v is terminal 4 and the trailer lights are 3. But these are on the opposite side of the notch if the drawings on the web pages I find are correct.

FWIW

The link diagram is showing the wiring plug on the TV not the trailer plug. The raised notch or lug on the outside of the trailer plug if at 1200 oclock the terminals needed or at 1100 and 1300 hrs. which is 3 an 4 terminals....Kenny

truknutt

Committed Member
Here's a neat little gizmo (I'm all about the gadgets!) that will either illuminate the marker/brake lights or flash all the running/brake lights.

FLASHCUBE

Jimmyt5

Buy one of these for $2.00 and plug in the end of trailer plug. The lights will flash and you will save $$$$$$.

Jim

Attachments

• turn_signal_flasher.jpg
    turn_signal_flasher.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 44