Replacing Olevia TV Question??

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
I have the 2008 3600RL with the Olevia TV on a swivel bracket...after looking closely it appears that the bracket was specifically designed for the Olevia TV, as it seems to be recessed into the bracket exactly. Is this true?

If so, can the TV alone be replaced, or does the entire bracket need replacing? Are the holes for mounting the TV to the bracket "standard" like they are on other "universal" TV mounts? In other words, if we did replace the TV are the mounting holes in the same place like they are on other TV's?:confused:

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Ken & Kathy, I'm sure Jim or the factory will respond but I'm almost positive the mount on the Olivia is not brand specific. All LCD's have standardized mounting holes as do all mounting brackets. There should be 2 sets of holes on the bracket for mounting. You should be able to retain the existing bracket.

kakampers

Jim, I understand that most brackets are universal. However, when you look at the bracket on the Olevia, the back of the TV is actually "recessed" INTO the bracket...like nothing I've ever seen, and it is and EXACT fit. It appears this bracket was made specifically for this TV to "nest" into.

All other TV's basically have a flat back...this one does not!!!

kakampers

Thought I'd send some pictures to clarify what I'm talking about. You can see how the TV back is actually "inside" the metal frame of the bracket, as the back is not flat but actually "raised".

You can also see how the TV is mounted by 6 screws...not the usual four. My biggest concern is the the mounting holes won't line up with another brand of TV....I think we can fill the "void" in the outer edge of the bracket using plywood or something.

000_0033.jpg

000_0030.jpg

P.S. Don't look at all the dust back there...didn't see it till the flash went off!! LOL:D

Shadowchek

It is probably universal but if not you can drill some new holes in the bracket to put the tv exactly where you want it. When I went searching for arms to mount my bedroom tv on they were all universal. I took a tape measure down to the store and measured the bracket holes then started measuring them on the tv's. That was a lot of fun trying to fid one with a long enough arm to mount it on the side where ther was a sold cabinet to mount it to. I had to put blocks of oak wood behind the bracket mount to make it long enough. It seems there is always a twist to a mod.
The only way to truly know is to get some measurements off of your mount and go to a store and compare. It isn't fun and it takes too much time but it is nice to no what you buy is going to work.

Greg

tcbrady

Hi Ken and Kathy,
The TV bracket that we use is a universal bracket. However, I believe a couple "universal" TV brackets exist. My recommendation is that you take a picture of the TV bracket and the back of the Olevia TV when you go to purchase a new TV. Olevia TVs are sold at Best Buy, Circuit City, etc so they should be able to match you up with a TV that will work with your current bracket. Good luck!

kakampers

OK...well the Olevia POS finally bit the dust last Monday. Stopped working pretty much all together. Couldn't change channels, source input...anything...not with remote, buttons on the front NOTHING!!! Gave up and bought an Insignia (Best Buy Brand)...have had great luck with this brand and reasonably priced. Went from the 26" to a 32"....NICE!!

The swingout bracket on our 08' was a bit of a challenge...but here's what we did. If you look at the pictures previously you can see that the Olevia had a "raised" back panel that actually fit perfectly into the large swing-out metal bracket and then was attached using six small screws to the center metal panel...I think this was a VESA 75 or 100 connection, as the screws were really small. The problem...all other TV's out there have flat backs and would not "seat" into this bracket.

The solution...we purchased a slim-line, stationary wall bracket that took either the VESA 100 or 200 connection. It's made for 26" to 40" flat panel LCD TV's, and can hold 80 lbs. As you can see in the picture below we bolted the bracket to the top edge of the swing-out bracket directly (placement at the top edge is required to make the TV bottom edge clear the bottom of the cabinet), and used spacers that came with the wall bracket, to bolt it to the metal plate of the swing-out partway down, which required some drilling of new holes into the swing-out bracket. This allowed the TV to hang perfectly vertical. The TV then just hangs onto the new bracket, using M6 screws and spacers that come with the new bracket, and it has it locking bar to keep it from "bouncing" off the bracket.

It does sit out a little farther than the Olevia, but it looks good. This TV is also two inches taller and approximately 2.5" smaller in width...as you can see by the second picture...However it works SOOOO much better than the Olevia...I can live with seeing into the cabinet. Actually without the flash from the camera, it's dark back there and you really don't see in anyway!

Hopefully this will help anyone else with an 08' and the swing-out bracket if they want to replace the "thorn in their side" Olevia!...Good Luck!

100_0039.jpg

100_0041.jpg

Last edited:

jbeletti

Nice replacement/upgrade Kathy. Thanks for documenting for everyone who may one day need/want to replace their Olevia set. I heard they stopped production but their website is still up so who knows...

We like our Jensen (after the exorcism) sets but I am sure those Samsungs we use now are even better.

Happy camping KaKampers!

Jim

kakampers

Really wanted the Samsung...just couldn't justify the extra cost when the Insignia has such a good picture...maybe sometime WAY down the road when we get our Landmark!! LOL

Delaine and Lindy

We have three Samsungs, a 46" in the living area, 40" in the bedroom both are 1080P's. Our 5th wheel also came with a 32" Samsung, push a button and it pops up from behind the fireplace. Delaine done a lot of research and determined that the Samsungs were what we needed. With HD the picture is awesome. We have had Sony's in the past and think the Samsungs are as good or better. GBY.....

markandrenita

Ken and Kathy, Well done on your solution and thanks sooooo much for posting the pics. Your other posts helped us a lot and this one is another great post!

Clear skies,

Mark and Renita

TomMar

Retired Texas-South Chapter Leader
All;
Thanks for the heads up info on replacing the Olevia. I have already started thinking of how I would be able to replace the one we have in our BH3600RE, not because of problems but the brand is unknown. One comment/hint I would like to offer is that we have had the same problem kakampers had with all of the buttons locking up and not responding, but I found that when I reached in through the access panel and manually turned the television off everything reset. The buttons and all functions then worked as designed. This has happened twice in the 5 months we have had the unit and it was usually when I was messing with the remote.

regards to all

Tom and Marti None

kakampers

Tom...we tried to reset manually, however, we were not able to get it working again...really not too sorry, we really love our new TV! Everything except having to spend the money...oh well, at least I can figure out the menu on this one!!:D

HOSS

I have the original Olivia TV in our 3670BH and have not had any problems in the nearly 3yrs of use. But I would like to replace with a bigger flat screen Samsung in the near future. What is the largest size I can go with out it becoming a major change? The pics I have seen so far on this thread is going to be useful, but DW seems to thank that I need more help. She has seen my work! LOL.

navyAZ1

Our Olevia TV quit in under a year and ASA replaced it with a Jensen, problem being the Jensen is 7" more narrow than the Olevia was so we now have a 3½" opening on each side of the TV cabinet opening. I also had to drill new location holes for the screws to use the existing swing out mount. Then one year later the Jensen died called ASA to see if I could get a new one at a pro-rated price since we were obviously out of warranty. They were great and told me "that TV should last longer than that", and they sent me a new one at no cost and even paid the postage for the return of the faulty TV. We are still looking at the 3½" hole on each side but I'll come up with a solution one day, since I'm retired I feel I don't need to rush into any huge problem solving situations!

Ron

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We replaced our 26" Olevia with a 32" Sony. The 32" is slightly more narrower by about 1/2 inch on each side and about 1/2 inch taller. But it fit in the same hole and the wall mount bolted right onto the back of the Sony. Easy swap out. I could not fit into the same hole anything larger. All you have to do is measure the size of Olevia and then measure the new ones you are looking at. The Olevia had the speakers mounted on the sides and Sony speakers on built in the rear of the TV and that made the difference.