Extended Warranties

mikedar77

I am purchasing a new 2018 Bighorn 3760EL and was wondering peoples thoughts on getting extended warranties and which companies are the best ??

Last edited by a moderator:

kowAlski631

Some will tell you that they're not worthwhile. However, we bought an EasyCare extended warranty when we purchased our BH in 2012 (and renewed it last year) which has covered close to $10,000 of repairs over the years.

Oregon_Camper

We are on the other side of the fence. I declined all offers (and the dealer kept pushing and pushing and pushing) for extended warranty and 2.5 years later I am glad we did.

We've had zero issues that I could not fix myself with the help of YouTube and this forum.

I guess it comes down to if you think you can fix issues that pop up, or if you'd rather have someone else do it. I like fixing stuff, knowing I did it right and then knowing what the real issue is and knowing I can fix again if needed. Especially if problems occur while camping and I'm 100's of miles from nearest repair shop.

Lynn1130

This is a subject that comes up often. Check the bottom of this page for "Similar Threads" and you will see a number of threads listed concerning this topic. That should help make a decision. And just to add my two cents worth. Consumer Reports and Dave Ramsey say don't bother.

kowAlski631

By our calculations, we've got at least $5,000 in our pocket that would have been spent on repairs. We're able to do most repairs ourselves, but we would rather have someone else expend their energy. We also get a guarantee that the work has been done correctly. Bottom line, your choice.

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
Remember....Extended warranties are written as a way for somebody to make money!

dave10a

During the factory warranty, extended warranty is like having an umbrella under an overpass. Outside of manufacturers warranty may be worthwhile if you are not handy at doing the repairs. In most cases the odds are in the insurance companies favor. Keep in mind the dealer makes a good commission selling them and the insurance company is in business to make a profit. I don't think the math adds up in the buyers favor. BTY I have been self insured on everything all my life and I am way ahead of the game :)

Lynn1130

Having $5,000 in our pocket makes us happy campers

I am happy that it worked for you but the odds are against the purchaser or the warranty company would not be in business. I have owned three trailers and to date have not had a failure that would have warranted an extended warranty. Actually, the total of all three trailers would not have covered a warranty policy fee for one of them.

Oldelevatorman

Some good points made regarding extended warranties. We had one on our diesel pusher that we owned for eleven years. It definitely paid for itself over that time for as many issues as we had, ac, refer., fogged windows etc.
We'll go without one and do the repairs ourselves that are feasible for us to do. I have a good mobile if something big happens when we're near our home base. If we're not there then we'll figure it out.

kowAlski631

I'd be interesting in knowing what was done for $5,000. Are you willing to tell us? :rolleyes:

More than happy to - we had our washer repaired, inverter/converter replaced, level-up system repaired (including a leg replaced, hydraulic lines replaced and controller replaced), alignment repaired, slides repaired. I'm sure I've forgotten something. Our trailer doesn't sit in one place for long in one place. We have traveled pulling it and spent time in every state (some multiple times) except Alaska, Minnesota, Wisconsin and North Dakota since May 1, 2013.

We pay for our extended warranty monthly, so no large outlay of cash at once. The above list of large item repairs doesn't include the damage caused by Towmax tire blowouts and tire replacements.

Martha

Oregon_Camper

More than happy to - we had our washer repaired, inverter/converter replaced, level-up system repaired (including a leg replaced, hydraulic lines replaced and controller replaced), alignment repaired, slides repaired. I'm sure I've forgotten something. Our trailer doesn't sit in one place for long in one place. We have traveled pulling it and spent time in every state (some multiple times) except Alaska, Minnesota, Wisconsin and North Dakota since May 1, 2013.

We pay for our extended warranty monthly, so no large outlay of cash at once. The above list of large item repairs doesn't include the damage caused by Towmax tire blowouts and tire replacements.

Martha

Thanks...

Thinking this over, it might be a good purchase for folks that full time, as these repairs need to get done ASAP and can't just wait around until I have time to get around to fixing an issue (meaning we just use trailer for fun now...I can sleep in my house and not worry about trailer issues if needed)

pilip

We cancelled our extended warranty because we couldn't bet anything done on our new warranty. We bought our unit (4018 - 2017) in Michigan and tried to get warranty work done here in Colorado (Lazy Days). They had our rig for 3 1/2 weeks and never touched it! there comment was "well we had our own customers to take care of before we take care of other dealers warranty work" Luckily the work to be done was very minor and we were at our home base so no real inconvience, but just really put a sour taste in our confidence in the warranty process.

kowAlski631

There is a difference between a new trailer warranty and an extended warranty. We have had no problems getting things repaired in a timely manner with our extended warranty. The facility sends an estimate to the extended warranty company, they send a person to validate the estimated work, and the work is performed. Start to finish has been a week at most. Maybe we were just lucky.

esscobra

I had xtra ride on previous unit and it paid for itself on repairs - I bought it on my 2017 3760el as well - cost to replace res fridge would cover the cost of the extended warranties - dealers push them b/cause they make good amount of xtra cash on them- shop around to find best price- worked out to be a lot cheaper than I thought and was
hard to pass up as any major repair will had made it worth it- a/c unit , plumbing , level up etc just read through posts to see what repairs cost- if I was only planning on keeping my rig a few years- then maybe not- but the ability to transfer remaining warranty also helped me get the best $ when I sold previous unit before buying my bighorn- and I plan to keep this one for 7-10 years

carl.swoyer

The insurance industry makes money on the idea that not all policy holders will have claims. It a numbers game / gamble.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

kowAlski631

The insurance industry makes money on the idea that not all policy holders will have claims. It a numbers game / gamble.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Insurance is based on elements of risk. The companies risk is that the consumer will need services that exceed the amount they pay for coverage. The consumers risk is that they will need services. Insurance companies are in business to make money - as are all businesses.