New member with 2010 Heartland sundance 3200re not charging battery

fonz3482

Well hello everyone! Happy to be part of the group but not so happy to join up and have to ask for help on my camper that has decided to give me problems this season. We have had 3 yrs of basic maintenance and low use on our 5th wheel with no real issues and on our last trip all sorts of stuff decided to happen between the camper and truck. So lets just start with the camper. Last trip we were out by the campfire and my wife was showering inside the camper. She came out and said the fridge was off and the lights were dim. So I went to investigate and after checking several things and the internet we found the fridge needs 12v signal to run and the lights are run on 12v also and then charged by the camper. with no testing equipment I pulled the battery and ran to a local walmart and replaced it. All was well up until last thursday while we were camping. I left 1 light on in the bedroom so my wife and I could see when we came in from the campfire. We came in after a few hours and the lights were dim and the battery was dead. Luckily I had a back up and swapped it in. The next day I ran to walmart again and bought a battery charger and a dvom meter. I charged the drained battery and checked the power at the battery terminals. To my understanding it should read 13v or higher if the converter is charging?? I had 12.5v which is probably the battery voltage only. So I pulled the basement storage wall and found the converter. It was warm to the touch and the fan didn't run the whole time I was tinkering with it. I'm guessing the fan should run at all times?? Also it was very hard to remove the mounting screws and see the converter so I ended up removing the bottom 2 stairs in the camper to get to it better. I checked the fuses and both are good. I checked the output and its says 12.5v which again I'm guessing is battery voltage only and no charging power from the converter. So I'm thinking I need a new converter. It is a wfco 65 amp converter model #WF-9865. Is there a place to get reman or rebuilt converters? If I buy new should I buy the same brand and direct replacement or is there a better brand? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Hello Fonz3482, welcome to this great forum. Lots of great people here with great information to share.
It sounds like your converter died. Mind died after 4 years, so it is not uncommon.
I know that Progressive Dynamics will take a trade on a referb, but I don't know about WFCO.
You might want to contact them to find out. WFCO.
Take a look at our Heartland Owners Club as well as thinking about joining us at a rally. Take a look at the navigation bar above.

Peace
Dave

Oregon_Camper

I'd check two things.

1 - On the 12v bussbar, remove the incoming 12v from converter and see if it is indeed dead. You should see 13-13.4 volts coming off converter.

2 - Check the tiny (very tiny) reset button on your 50amp circuit. If this is popped, the power from your converter will not reach the battery.

Captudddddre.jpg

- - - Updated - - -