Why we "bookdock"

Oregon_Camper

I posted this on a reply in another thread, but then I wanted to share as its own post. :)

360-degree pictures won't work here, so you'll need to click on this link. As you look down the driver side of the trailer....nothing attached! Boondocking at its best!

BTW...when you open this, you'll have to click on the circle like icon in upper right of the image that opens, to enable 360-degree view.

Remember to drag mouse up…down...left…right.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/BcJSKuvMQ0duV7Y02

CDN

B and B
We spend our time in the Forest with Electric. Just did 5 days and nights on our own water, grey and black tanks. Figure we still had 20 gallons of water left on guess-gauge. We enjoy our time away and I agree this is the best! Now if it wasn`t a forest Solar would work for our batteries for cpap machines.

Great location! This is the type of Boondocking that we love to do. We can usually last a week without running out of water or having to dump the tanks.

dewwood

Great video. Where is that area? We have a son living in Corvallis and he goes to the Cascades hiking. We manage to get out there about once a year, sometimes with the camper and sometimes by plane.

szewczyk_john

Can you share the name of the park and what the cost is per night? Just curious as I do a lot of camping this way as well. I got 3 weeks before heading out to a PA owned 15 spot campground that is free for residents. Nothing beats a small boon docking camp ground that is free to use. This will be our first visit to this spot and I am looking forward to it.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Why we "bookdock"

Just curious as I do a lot of camping this way as well. I got 3 weeks before heading out to a PA owned 15 spot campground that is free for residents. Nothing beats a small boon docking camp ground that is free to use. This will be our first visit to this spot and I am looking forward to it.

John, ever go up north to the Allegheny NF? As a kid with my parents, it was our to go to place. And not too long ago, my boys and I spent several days there. you're allowed to boondock camp most anyplace you can get off the road. Lots of "pre-enjoyed" campsites.
Also, out here near us in the Bald Eagle SF are boondocking specific free campsites.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

szewczyk_john

I have not been to the National Forest for some years and never camped up there. Always done day long motorcycle rides. Heading to Emporium in a few weeks with the Road Warrior and then going back up in early October hoping to see both fall foliage and the Elk herds. I want to start exploring different settings within the forest, but I'm always afraid to get into a tight pinch as I do not which roads will allow for our large units. A lot of the recognized camping is for tent or truck campers. We have been meaning to do this for sometime but always put it off for some reason or another but this time we are going for sure. Place is called Hicks Run and it only has 15 sites. Hoping to find more access points during this visit. All we had to do was get ahold of the Ranger Station and the emailed us the permit.

Lynn1130

Very nice. 95% or more of our camping is boon-docking. The only difference is that I don't like neighbors anywhere within a mile of us so it is pretty remote boon-docking. It is nice that we can still do that here in this part of the country.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
I have not been to the National Forest for some years and never camped up there. Always done day long motorcycle rides. Heading to Emporium in a few weeks with the Road Warrior and then going back up in early October hoping to see both fall foliage and the Elk herds. I want to start exploring different settings within the forest, but I'm always afraid to get into a tight pinch as I do not which roads will allow for our large units. A lot of the recognized camping is for tent or truck campers. We have been meaning to do this for sometime but always put it off for some reason or another but this time we are going for sure. Place is called Hicks Run and it only has 15 sites. Hoping to find more access points during this visit. All we had to do was get ahold of the Ranger Station and the emailed us the permit.

Hicks Run. Know where it is but can't say I know much about it.
The PA elk will start their bugles in late September. Used to belong to a camp in the Moshannon SF that is on the southern edge of the elk's habitat. Occasionally I would see one during deer season. The new RMEF visitors center worth the stop!!
Agree just heading off in the woods with a 5er is not for the faint of heart!!! If you pick a base CG then go exploring with your gps and log some waypoints you'll gain that confidence. My dad used to take his 34' MH with horse trailer in tow. He and his buddies would find a wide spot in the road, park, and ride trails on horseback for a few days every so often!
Let us know how your trip goes...