Big Horn quality

THoltz

Hello To All,
This is my first post to this site. I am not a current Heartland 5th wheel owner but am strongly considering a purchase soon. Does anyone have any opinions or experience they would like to share regarding Big Horn or Big Country 5th wheel quality, good or bad? Thanks!

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
In my opinion, Heartlands quality is as good, if not better than the other manufacturers. What I think is better is their level of customer service. I don't belong to any other owners forums but I think this one is the only one that is monitored and responded to by factory representatives. They also use this forum to make improvements and changes. We've had our 3400 for 2 years and it's been back to the dealer once for an adjustment to the awning and we've had 2 days worth of service after the owners rally in Goshen in 2007. I admit, I do a lot of my own work but it's mostly to modify or improve something, not to repair. I don't think you'll find a bigger bang for your buck. Sign me a Happy Heartland Owner.

SmokeyBare

Welcome to the Forum THoltz...

I'd like to suggest that you spend a day or so reading the many posts that are in the forum... there is a wealth of information within the hundreds and hundreds of posts. I believe if you do, you'll form your well informed opinion as to the quality of the Heartland RV's.

Many different subjects have been covered quite well inside the forum... some you may be surprised at... some you'll no doubt be very pleased to read about. Good Luck with your research.

Welcome to the best RV Forum around !!

My thoughts:

We spend quite a bit of time before we decided to order our BigHorn... even visited the factory... which I always recommend do... It helps to better understand the way they are put together... and where the many components are located within the RV it self.

We Live full time in our BigHorn... nearly two years now in fact. It's our Home... and I can proudly say... I am even more pleased with the decision to own a Heartland product than ever... This Company in my view... is dedicated to making their customers happy... they go far and above what other companies are willing to do... They listen to their owners... taking in the many suggestions that are offered from the owners... and are willing to take the time to respond to inquiries that are posted with in the forum's posts.

Good Luck in your Quest for information !

lgcole1

I have read this forum for the past two months with great interest and learned lots, so I figure I should contribute. I just picked up my 09 BH 3670 fully loaded and spent the first camping experience in it last week. I am happy to say that there were no issues worth mentioning to report. The quality was superb and everything in the unit worked very well. I did the complete PDI as was pointed out in this forum and found it to be worthwhile. After one week of camping in my Big Horn, I recommend it highly. I hope I feel the same way after I spend the winter in Georgia.

lgcole1 junior member

My short experience

I am the proud new owner of a 2009 3580 and thus far extremely happy. Did tons of research and looked at every possible manufacturer that I could lay eyes on. Kept coming back to Heartland as the choice for us. Better half loved it as well. Once I found this forum that pretty much sealed the deal for me.

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Welcome to all of you new owners and soon to be owners.

My 2 cents here kinda speaks for itself in my signature. We recently upgrade from a Bighorn to a Landmark. That is how much I think of their quality and commitment to the customer. Enough said.

Please keep the rest of us informed of your experiences,

Mark

geeksrus

IMHO the quality of by Big Horn is better than average in its price range but we've had problems with certain things:
1) squeaky kitchen floor
2) noisy fan in fireplace
3) crappy Apollo 1/2 oven
4) Chinese bomb ST tires

Regarding # 1 & 2, we went to the Elkhart factory service center in April to have these looked after but the problems still exist.
Regarding # 3, it just went out on us right after the unit's warranty expired & based on other's comments you have to wonder why Heartland installs such a piece of CRAP.
For # 4, I replaced the ST's with Michelin Xribs due to the horror stories regarding ST's .

Also, I wish that my unit had come with 7,000 pound axles instead of 6,000's.

Overall I'm happy with the unit's quality but there still is room for improvement.

EH!

rjr6150

We researched for three years and attended the Denver RV show each year and kept coming back to the BH. Have had ours since late March of this year and other then a few minor issues which are dealer is working on now would definitely purchase another one.

azbound

We purchased our 2009 BH 3400RL in Dec. have spent 5 months in it so far, Jan thru Mid Apr. in AZ, July thru Aug. in McCloud, Ca. The trailer isn't perfect, however the issues have all been minor and the dealer and Heartland have been great. As for the axles we ordered ours with 7000lbs axles, the cost of the upgrade wasn't that much. Would I buy another Heartland RV, in a heart beat.

THoltz

IMHO the quality of by Big Horn is better than average in its price range but we've had problems with certain things:
1) squeaky kitchen floor
2) noisy fan in fireplace
3) crappy Apollo 1/2 oven
4) Chinese bomb ST tires

Regarding # 1 & 2, we went to the Elkhart factory service center in April to have these looked after but the problems still exist.
Regarding # 3, it just went out on us right after the unit's warranty expired & based on other's comments you have to wonder why Heartland installs such a piece of CRAP.
For # 4, I replaced the ST's with Michelin Xribs due to the horror stories regarding ST's .

Also, I wish that my unit had come with 7,000 pound axles instead of 6,000's.

Overall I'm happy with the unit's quality but there still is room for improvement.

EH!

Thanks for your honest opinion. I believe that most,if not all, trailer axles are under rated. Also, why don't they just put a quality set of tires on to start with? The hassle of a blowout not to mention the safety impact just isn't worth saving a few extra bucks. Thanks again.