Fireplace Electrical Cord - fell down a hole

NYSUPstater

I wrote about this a few weeks ago that I unplugged the BR FP in our 3560 SS to plug in a fan and unbeknownst to me, the cord simply fell back into the hole to floor below where FP is after I unplugged it and let it go not knowing it would do this. Thought I'd be smart and use a spring "claw" to retrieve it. No luck as floor is lower than claw is long. Looked at it a bit more closely and it seems the stone facade was put on after the FP was installed, thus don't see how to remove the FP to get cord. Am thinking of using 2 coat hangers. 1 to come down thru hole w/ a hook on end and the other to see if I can find the end of the cord and feed into the hook of the other. There is approx 1/4"-1/2" gap on bottom of FP that I can see things. Does this seem about right or does someone have a better idea?

Garypowell

In my experience you are correct. The fireplace is put in and then brick is installed around it.

Brick facade probably started as one piece. You might not be able to get it off that way.....but you can try. Mine was simply stapled in place. If it wants/needs to break.....do it in a space between bricks. You'd be surprised how easy it is to reinstall and the breaks disappear.

Now the fireplace. Once the brick is off you lift up and pull forward. There are screws behind it and the fireplace has teardrop holes.

Then tie a string to the outlet (and tape or fasten it someplace to retrieve the plug in the future) and then reinstall the fireplace.

"Reinstall" that's the tough part......it took me about 20 tries to hit the screws again.

Good luck.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I wrote about this a few weeks ago that I unplugged the BR FP in our 3560 SS to plug in a fan and unbeknownst to me, the cord simply fell back into the hole to floor below where FP is after I unplugged it and let it go not knowing it would do this. Thought I'd be smart and use a spring "claw" to retrieve it. No luck as floor is lower than claw is long. Looked at it a bit more closely and it seems the stone facade was put on after the FP was installed, thus don't see how to remove the FP to get cord. Am thinking of using 2 coat hangers. 1 to come down thru hole w/ a hook on end and the other to see if I can find the end of the cord and feed into the hook of the other. There is approx 1/4"-1/2" gap on bottom of FP that I can see things. Does this seem about right or does someone have a better idea?

Is there a spot inside the cabinet you could remove a panel or cut out an opening or drill a 4" hole to gain access. Or you could enlarge the opening your working in now.

Have you tried using your phone to stick in there and take pictures to get a better idea of where it's laying.
How about a longer claw grabber ?
The long coat-hanger might work too. It might take 10 tries but you'll eventually get it.

I wish I was there to give it a shot.

Jerrod

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

That's pretty cool Jim I just might get one of those. I have one of these scoop camera but it's hard to see the screen.
2a629571c851703c4dd6c2d1f9788b8b.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

olcoon

Don't know how good they are, but if you've got a Harbor Freight nearby, they sell cameras like that. HERE is a link to it, didn't read the reviews, but 99% of the ones I scanned through had 5 out of 5 stars.