Home Base for Full-timers

rxbristol

We recently bought into the Original SKP Ranch Co-Op in Lakewood, NM and could not be happier. Currently, there are a few lots for sale and I know there are Escapees members out there that might be interested in a home base and not have to wait years on waiting lists or pay high prices. So, here are the highlights:

The Ranch has a lot to offer:

• Paved Roads
  • 50 x 70 Sized Lots
  • 118 Total Sites
  • Upgraded electric
  • All sites have FHU’s
  • Large Dog Park
  • Our Own Post Office (1 mile down the road)
  • Free WiFi
  • Prices Range From $7,500 to $17,000 (price depends on lot improvements)
  • Wide-open Views
  • Most Sites Have Casitas or Sheds
  • One Free Storage Lot For Your Trailer/Boat or Extra RV
  • Reverse Osmosis Water to the Whole Park
  • Maintenance and Office Manager
  • Adult RV Park
  • Low Electricity Rates (.09 cents per KwH)
  • Laundry Facilities
  • Large Community Center
  • Exercise Room
  • Air Gun Shooting Range
  • Wood Working Shop
  • Metal Shop
  • Card Games
  • Everyday Happy Hour
  • Monthly Birthday Celebrations
  • Men and Ladies Social Gatherings
  • Bingo
  • Potlucks
  • Low Humidity
  • Dark Skies
  • Bird Sanctuary
  • NO traffic noise
  • No Mosquitos, Fleas, or Ticks
  • January Average High is 56 Degrees
  • 310 sunny days at an altitude of 3,380 feet giving cool mornings and evenings even in the middle of summer.
  • Here is a link to a YouTube video on the "Ranch"---go to the 5 minute mark to see the RV area: Link

The local area has two major towns—Artesia and Carlsbad which has:

• Hospitals
  • Shopping
  • Super Walmarts and Other Local Grocery Stores
  • Community Arts
  • Museums
  • Hot Air Ballon Festival
  • Hand Crafters Art Show
  • Shooting Ranges
  • Bowling
  • Antique Mall
  • Water Park and Splash Park
  • Local Winery and Brewery
  • Carlsbad Caverns and other cave explorations
  • Brantley Lake State Park (boating and fishing) and Lake Carlsbad
  • Canyon Hikes
  • Sitting Bull Falls
  • Living Desert Zoo and Gardens

Other attractions close by:

• Skiing
  • Cloudcroft
  • Lincoln National Forest
  • Whitesands Monument
  • Ruidoso Downs
  • Roswell (UFO Capital)

B

BouseBill

Did you actually purchase the property (space) and have a deed? From what I read on the web page it's a long term lease??

"Many of the lot owners, or more precisely the leaseholders, place their lots in the rental pool so that other Escapees or guests of members can enjoy staying at The Ranch."

rxbristol

Just out of curiosity you don't mention but there must still be a monthly fee of some kind?

There is a yearly fee (can be paid quarterly) depending if you want to let the Ranch rent your site out while you're not at the Ranch, or not. If you allow the Ranch to rent your site while your not in the park, the yearly assessment is $1,100, but if you don't want your site rented out, then the assessment if $1,375 a year. This pays for all the infrastructure, etc.

Last edited:

rxbristol

Did you actually purchase the property (space) and have a deed? From what I read on the web page it's a long term lease??

"Many of the lot owners, or more precisely the leaseholders, place their lots in the rental pool so that other Escapees or guests of members can enjoy staying at The Ranch."

You lease the lot. This actually has its advantages because you become a member in the Co-Op and that gives EVERYONE voting rights on how the Ranch runs. There is a yearly elected board and several committees that keeps the Ranch running smoothly. The Ranch hires one full-time maintenance person and office manager. There is also one work camper that cleans the Ranch House, bathrooms and laundry. It is a long-term lease...In accordance with the By-Laws, "Upon the death of a person named on the membership tools, said membership shall automatically revert to the Corporation and the decedent's estate shall be compensated on the same basis as provided in Article IV, D.1 of the By-Laws and shall be paid to the member's estate or heirs for his or her investment in the Corporation." In other words, your "investment" never evaporates and can improve because, even though the lots cannot go below a static value, it can increase based on improvement assessments or demand.

The above answer may be more than you wanted to know. :cool:

danemayer

You lease the lot. .... In other words, your "investment" never evaporates and can improve because, even though the lots cannot go below a static value, it can increase based on improvement assessments or demand.

The key question on leasing is what happens in a bankruptcy. Do the leases survive the restructuring? Looking from afar, I have no idea how it would work, but it might be worth checking with a NM real estate attorney.

rxbristol

The key question on leasing is what happens in a bankruptcy. Do the leases survive the restructuring? Looking from afar, I have no idea how it would work, but it might be worth checking with a NM real estate attorney.

Good point, but I will say the financial books are open for all to see and they look really good.

Nuclearcowboy

Sounds like a piece of heaven in the middle of nowhere - I grew up in that type of country. You didn't mention if water was furnished - could be $2 a gallon 😀😀

rxbristol

Sounds like a piece of heaven in the middle of nowhere - I grew up in that type of country. You didn't mention if water was furnished - could be $2 a gallon 😀😀

Yeah, if you love big city life this is not the place for you, but Carlsbad does have a Harbor Freight (the smell of testosterone and oil):rolleyes:. The reverse osmosis system supplies the best water around--all included. :)

rxbristol

If you want to bring back memories, Escapee members can stay here at great rates:

Daily = $20 + Elec
Weekly = $125 + Elec
Monthly = $350 + Elec

AND for first time stayers, here's a link for a coupon where the rate is $50 + Elec for the week!

rxbristol

Wow Rex, sounds good. We'll look at the website. Thank you for sharing.:rolleyes:

Terri

Parts of the website are outdated, and it's in the works to get it going again...just takes time, but it has been updated for what sites are up for sale.

So many people have had their lots for years and years, but unfortunately, some have passed on or have moved to be closer to family due to health issues or spouses passing on. Because the Ranch had a waiting list until just a few years ago and so many of the individuals had been here for years, the Ranch has become a hidden gem.

LBR

"Upon the death of (a) person named on the membership tools, said membership shall automatically revert to the Corporation..."

Unless I'm reading this wrongly, if a husband/wife jointly owns it and EITHER one passes on, it reverts back to the Corporation?...no rights to survivorship?...that wording is scary, IMO.

dlw930

Rex, we spent last Thanksgiving at Dreamcatcher SKP park in Deming. We visited with a couple from San Diego that have a lot at the Ranch. Can't remember their names, but he's involved in professional drag racing. You may know them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rxbristol

"Upon the death of (a) person named on the membership tools, said membership shall automatically revert to the Corporation..."

Unless I'm reading this wrongly, if a husband/wife jointly owns it and EITHER one passes on, it reverts back to the Corporation?...no rights to survivorship?...that wording is scary, IMO.

I know for a fact that joint ownership is secure. The lot we purchased was from a women whose husband had passed--they had joint ownership. The key thing is that both of you sign the lease and your Escapee number is for both of you or each of you can have your own Escapee membership number.

rxbristol

Rex, we spent last Thanksgiving at Dreamcatcher SKP park in Deming. We visited with a couple from San Diego that have a lot at the Ranch. Can't remember their names, but he's involved in professional drag racing. You may know them.

Don't know anyone, that's currently at the Ranch, who professionally drag races, but it's only about 1/3 full...most people are out on their summer jaunts and will return this fall and stay for the winter. I know someone who lives here full-time that used to race, but he was doing that back in the 50-70's.

We looked at the Deming SKP park, but it was like a large parking lot in a weird area.

When will your adventure end in the great wilderness?

dlw930

Don't know anyone, that's currently at the Ranch, who professionally drag races, but it's only about 1/3 full...most people are out on their summer jaunts and will return this fall and stay for the winter. I know someone who lives here full-time that used to race, but he was doing that back in the 50-70's.

I think that's about when this guy raced. He's probably in his 70's now, maybe early 80s. I got the impression he has family that still races. Real distinguished-looking guy.

We looked at the Deming SKP park, but it was like a large parking lot in a weird area.

Yes. It is. Our GPS took us through town to get there instead of taking us to the proper exit. Got to see the whole town. :-/. SKP park was ok for a night or two, but I wouldn't want to spend months there.

When will your adventure end in the great wilderness?

It will be in our hearts forever , but we should be back in the Lower 48 by Sept. 1. Planning to catch the Montana HOC Rally at Red Lodge on our way south.

SNOKING

We have two lots(memberships) at a large RV park in NW Washington. There are a lot of snowbirders that make this their summer sunbird location.

www.lakeconnorpark.com Park has 1400+ sites on 360 acres.

You purchase a membership and pay a quarterly billing for electrical and dues. Dues are currently $86.50/month. Security, activities, water and garbage is included. Phase three lot all have septic systems. Yesterday we had a golf cart poker run with around 200 golf carts taking part in the event.

Our drivers license list this as our residence, and we have a separate mailing address at a Mail Zone outlet 3 miles away. Mail Zone will forward mail to us while snowbirding. We do that on request, rather than automatically.

Here is a picture of our second lot across the road that we purchased last August. We just built a new 10' x 12' shed on it. We use this lot for parking and guest.