Hamm Radio Info

Kevin and Henny White

Past California-Central Chapter Leaders
We have a BigHorn 08, 3670 My husband is a Hamm Operator KG6UGF for any of you out there. We are looking for some good info on how to mount a rather large(long) antena:confused: Any ideas :confused: I just can't look he is talking about drilling:eek: Has anyone done this before of course someone has JUST TELL ME IT WILL BE OK AND SO WILL I.MAYBE I SHOULD JUST GO SHOPPING:)

sislv

Tom & Sharol
Ham Radio Antenna Mounting

I saw a multi-band vertical mounted on the top of the pin box of a fifth wheel trailer while in Florida two years ago. I'm not sure what ham radio bands the antenna covered but it looked like the base mount was a standard heavy duty mobile spring mount. If I were to want an HF (high frequency) antenna, I would consider this type of antenna and mount.

Rickhansen

My wife and I are also Ham's (KC8BQY and N8WQY, respectively) and Scanner listeners. We are full-time in our 3670RL. The Bighorn is a little bit restrictive for a good Ham Shack and highly respectable Antenna Farm, so I appreciate the intentions.
I recently ground-mounted an 8' multiband (Austin-Ferret) scanner antenna that is working out well. I took a 5-gallon plastic bucket, drilled a 1-1/4" hole through the bottom. I used an 18" plastic plumbing tailstock as a sleeve, and filled the bucket with 50 lbs of readi-mix concrete. Slide it through the hole and seal with duct tape, pour in the dry concrete, wetting it as you fill the bucket. A small section of mast-pipe slides down inside nicely without too much free play. It's portable, stable, and costs about $12 from any big-box home improvement store.:D

If the converter output in the Big Horn is as dirty as the one in my Sundance, you will want to mount your HF antenna as far away from your trailer as possible. I use a Tar Heel screwdriver mounted on my TV and keep the truck away from the trailer with a 75 foot run of RG8X.

It is interesting to note the manual supplied with my converter clearly states its use (converter) in a residential area will cause harmful interference to other electronic and/or communication devices.

Jack - N2JV

First licensed 50 years ago this month.