When your tow vehicle isn't quite big enough

fastcarsspeed

I wonder if they had a sway control setup on that? We towed with our expedition and our ultra light trailer for years. But what I learned very quickly when towing the camper home from the dealer was that I needed weight distribution and sway control. Our trailer was only 5k but the expedition does not have a trucks suspension. We could not go over 50 mph all the way home otherwise the trailer would sway. Once I put the equalizer on we could tow without a problem. Not saying this is the case here but why the truck did not slow down is insane. You can absolutely feel that camper swaying. I don't think I ever saw brake lights.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Watch this video a few times. What's sad is that it's a bunkhouse model, which probably means a family. Poor kids will be traumatized for life. That's why every chance I get I try to promote fellow Heartland Owner's new app, www.rvtowcheck.com to learn what you can safely tow with real world information!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danemayer

The audio is interesting. I don't know if that was the driver and passenger, or perhaps the radio. But I was amazed no one was shouting "look at that!!!!"

MCTalley

The audio is interesting. I don't know if that was the driver and passenger, or perhaps the radio. But I was amazed no one was shouting "look at that!!!!"

If you click through to YouTube, the video is published on Duane's (porthole's) account. I assumed that it was Duane filming this.

Those that pull or have pulled bumper pull trailers correct me if I'm wrong. If that had a weight-distributing hitch setup, wouldn't the trailer have likely pulled the tow vehicle over with it? I notice the tow vehicle stays upright through the whole incident.

TravelTiger

It sounds like a "male-targeted" radio show. I was also surprised at no reaction from the driver. But maybe he had been following the person and watch them sway for a while, so he was not surprised my it.

porthole

Retired
If you click through to YouTube, the video is published on Duane's (porthole's) account. I assumed that it was Duane filming this.

Not my video, but it is a white SuperDuty with the dash cam.

- - - Updated - - -

If that had a weight-distributing hitch setup, wouldn't the trailer have likely pulled the tow vehicle over with it? I notice the tow vehicle stays upright through the whole incident.

If it was a weight distributing hitch probably would be the same outcome with the addition of the bars launching from the hitch.

Strong hitch and ball, I'm surprised they did not separate.

fastcarsspeed

I think you are correct. I hate that they give the Expedition a sway control button and people think that will help them with towing. The expedition can tow almost as much as the F150 but you definitely need a weight distribution with sway control hitch. I just don't understand when towing you can feel the sway why the **** would you stay in the gas?

Those that pull or have pulled bumper pull trailers correct me if I'm wrong. If that had a weight-distributing hitch setup, wouldn't the trailer have likely pulled the tow vehicle over with it? I notice the tow vehicle stays upright through the whole incident.

SNOKING

I think you are correct. I hate that they give the Expedition a sway control button and people think that will help them with towing. The expedition can tow almost as much as the F150 but you definitely need a weight distribution with sway control hitch. I just don't understand when towing you can feel the sway why the **** would you stay in the gas?

How many know that one should not brake in such conditions.

"[h=2]How to help stop trailer sway once it starts[/h][FONT=&quot]If your trailer starts to sway on the road, the NHTSA recommends activating the manual brake control override by hand. Applying the tow vehicle brakes will generally make the sway worse. Lift your foot from the accelerator but don’t step on the brake pedal unless you’re in danger of hitting something, according to Estes.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Proper equipment, attention to weight balancing and keeping an eye on the weather and passing vehicles will help make sure the only sway you feel on your camping trip is that of the hammock at your campsite."[/FONT]

Lynn1130

Yes. That driver just kept going, failing to let off of the gas and apply the trailer brakes only.

kf5qby

Not my video, but it is a white SuperDuty with the dash cam.

- - - Updated - - -

If it was a weight distributing hitch probably would be the same outcome with the addition of the bars launching from the hitch.

Strong hitch and ball, I'm surprised they did not separate.

The trailer frame actually twisted quite a bit instead of the hitch or ball failing. That was surprising. I don't think I would trust them enough to use them again after that kind of force.

I wonder if the SUV would have ended on its side with the weight distribution bars? The trailer falling over on the drivers side looks to be what kept the truck from going over as it slid sideways.

porthole

Retired
Drove past this location yesterday coming home from work. The skid and scrape marks that are currently visible are much more pronounced then what is visible in the video. And there must have been a spill of some sort, the shoulder is covered in speedi dri.

Oldelevatorman

Watch this video a few times. What's sad is that it's a bunkhouse model, which probably means a family. Poor kids will be traumatized for life. That's why every chance I get I try to promote fellow Heartland Owner's new app, www.rvtowcheck.com to learn what you can safely tow with real world information!

Saw this on the news here in Mass. Guy said it was a flat tire. I'm saying bs!

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
This guy was probably a newbie who believed everything his RV dealership told him.

All it would have taken to stop this crash would have been a manual pull of the trailer brakes to stop the sway.

Proof of an inexperienced trailer puller . . . and an under-rated tow vehicle.

TravelTiger

Saw this on the news here in Mass. Guy said it was a flat tire. I'm saying bs!

If it was a flat tire, we would have seen a tire disintegrate in the process.

I also believe this guy behind was filming using a cell phone, which means he'd probably seen him swaying way before he started filming.

Lynn1130

No flat tire. They were all inflated until the went over. So I second the BS call.

I hope the guy videoing the crash stuck around to give that info to the highway patrol.

DW_Gray

Ford and some other brands will have the following note in the owner's manual for half-ton or smaller size vehicles.

Note: Make sure to take into consideration trailer frontal area. Do not exceed 36.5 feet² (3.39 meters²) if your vehicle is equipped with the standard towing package, or 60 feet² (5.57 meters²) if your vehicle is equipped with the optional heavy duty package.

From the looks at the rear of the trailer, I'd say it is at least 64 square feet.