Propane Quick Connect hookup to Grill

rocrider50

Perhaps this has been discussed before. I have a 2017 Cyclone 3800 that has a port on the side of the trailer that goes to the propane tank. It is a quick disconnect port. Can I hook up a grill to that port that uses full size propane tanks? If so where would I get a jumper hose that goes from the tank fitting on the grill to the quick connect on the camper? Sams club has a nice stainless steel two burner grill that connects to a 20lb propane tank (assume that my 30lb would work as well).

Last edited by a moderator:

danemayer

Quick connect on the trailer is after the pressure regulator. So you need a grill that is expecting low-pressure and doesn't have its own regulator. If you buy a grill that works with a full size tank, or even a small 1 lb. tank, it probably has its own regulator. Two regulators will not work.

WillyBill

@rocrider50,

We bought the same grill you looked at in Sams I believe. I removed the regulator and bought a rubber PROPANE hose at a hose specialty store with a threaded fitting on one end to screw into the grill where the regulator went (I think it was 1/4" MPT) made it about 12' long (my choice) and had the special propane quick disconnect put on the other end. The QD is not stocked by all hose shops and may have to be bought elsewhere. The hose must be designed for propane as the propane molecules are much smaller that other types of gases and will soon begin to leak.

Hope this helps,

WB

redevil

quick connect works great, now I'm trying to find a quick connect splitter so that I can use my Camp Chef setup and the stove on the outside kitchen as well. Found one brand Torjik but still $$, so looking for other options. I thinking building one from a bbq supply store will be more expensive based on individual parts as well.

Anyone see other types of Y or splitters for rv quick connects?

rocrider50

@rocrider50,

We bought the same grill you looked at in Sams I believe. I removed the regulator and bought a rubber PROPANE hose at a hose specialty store with a threaded fitting on one end to screw into the grill where the regulator went (I think it was 1/4" MPT) made it about 12' long (my choice) and had the special propane quick disconnect put on the other end. The QD is not stocked by all hose shops and may have to be bought elsewhere. The hose must be designed for propane as the propane molecules are much smaller that other types of gases and will soon begin to leak.

Hope this helps,

WB

Your the best, this worked perfectly! Removed regulator hose and replace with strait propane QC hose. Easy

rocrider50

@rocrider50,

Hope this helps,

WB

It is amazing how easy this was to fix. I have been fed a line of it is hard and takes a special grill since last year. Amazing that this isn't a little more widely known. I suppose no one wants to tell you to remove a hose. Fear of leaks maybe?

There have been countless grills I could have purchased and had this solved all summer. Thanks WillyBill for making the seemingly hard simple. It's a great grill and for $99 it's better yet.

WillyBill

It is amazing how easy this was to fix. I have been fed a line of it is hard and takes a special grill since last year. Amazing that this isn't a little more widely known. I suppose no one wants to tell you to remove a hose. Fear of leaks maybe?

There have been countless grills I could have purchased and had this solved all summer. Thanks WillyBill for making the seemingly hard simple. It's a great grill and for $99 it's better yet.

@rockrider50,

You are very welcome. I have had my setup like this for over a year already with no problems. Except....the cow wandering through hunting camp last year got caught up in the hose and broke the fitting(Nipple) that was screwed into the back of the quick disconnect on the trailer so when I came back to camp I hear the regulator on the propane bottle squealing. Had to drive 100 miles round trip to find the fitting I needed. Only lost a quarter bottle of propane though. The moral here is-I suggest unplugging the hose from your trailer when you are not using it. Even people can trip on it and break something at the least convenient time. Don't ask me how I know....:p

(Leak check with soapy water any gas fittings after installation-just good safety practice.)

Happy Trails,

WB

porthole

Retired
As long as,your grill doesn't have a regulator

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

I took the regulator off my Weber and used a fitting, also from amazon to attach a quick disconnect. I am alos using a standalone regulator which solved the low pressure problem with my Weber.

Using several fittings to tap into my propane tank connection I used the following items.

Low pressure regulator

Quick connect fittings Several of these, on the trailer, grill extension hoses etc.

90 degree reducing elbow, 1/8" - 1/4"

3/8" flare to 1/4" male pipe fitting

10' propane extension hose

Propane 1/4" fitting. Although these look like air fittings they are not and are slightly different. Some also have a restriction in them and do not work well. These are designed to open up the seal inside the quick connect.

Standalone regulator and hose for using a separate tank