RV Lock for compartments trouble

Graz160

I just bought the new 4.0 for the front for of our 2016 Bighorn. It installed beautifully.

Then I tried to install the 4 new compartment door locks. Not so easy. First, I discovered that Heartland installs the inside cover with 4 screws and 4 pop rivets. I really don't want to remove the rivets. So, I slipped the new lock in under the old cover. It seemed to fit fine. Then I screwed in the battery cover on top of the inside cover. All seems good, until I tested the latch operation. It stuck and would not come back out. So, I backed the screws out until it popped out.

But now it is so loose, it rattles. Not acceptable.

jbeletti

The RVLock for the baggage doors are designed to completely replace the OEM handle. That means drilling out those little pop rivets. I did that in my last coach on 2 handles. Then I used the supplied screws in place of the rivets. Worked for me.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Drilling out the rivets isn't a difficult job at all, and your lock will work as intended. We love ours!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LBR

I just bought the new 4.0 for the front for of our 2016 Bighorn. It installed beautifully.

Then I tried to install the 4 new compartment door locks. Not so easy. First, I discovered that Heartland installs the inside cover with 4 screws and 4 pop rivets. I really don't want to remove the rivets. So, I slipped the new lock in under the old cover. It seemed to fit fine. Then I screwed in the battery cover on top of the inside cover. All seems good, until I tested the latch operation. It stuck and would not come back out. So, I backed the screws out until it popped out.

But now it is so loose, it rattles. Not acceptable.
Drill out the pop rivets, discard the plastic, and enjoy your locks as they were intended to operate is my suggestion...they are a great addition to any RV.... congrats on your purchase.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

When drilling out the rivets, use a larger drill bit like 1/4" or so and just drill off the head, then pop the rest of the rivet into the hole with a small punch.

Graz160

Thanks everyone. I drilled out the rivets with a ⅛" and it worked perfectly.
However, I ran into another couple of problems.
First, there are gaps on the lower front of the new locks. They are small, but must be fixed. I called RV Locks and they are going to look at fixes.
Second, the off-door side compartment isn't closing on the right side latch. The new locks are thicker and are hitting the partition that lies between the storage area and the utility area. All I can think of is to cut out the black rubber seal that is there.

LBR

First, there are gaps on the lower front of the new locks. They are small, but must be fixed. I called RV Locks and they are going to look at fixes.
Second, the off-door side compartment isn't closing on the right side latch. The new locks are thicker and are hitting the partition that lies between the storage area and the utility area. All I can think of is to cut out the black rubber seal that is there.

Oversized gasket (post #62) https://heartlandowners.org/showthread.php?p=552457

I cut an opening in my ODS partition for lock to clear.....saved some of the black material from cutout piece, cut and glued on fresh wood left after cutting patrition out.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
RV Lock sells (or may send you for free) a vinyl gasket (sticker) that fits and covers the hole.
61d9a62b6f496ff5c66b2473ad192370.jpg
8f770d8736aab11b83c1f09267fe06b1.jpg

porthole

Retired
I would think since the factory hardware is standard across the industry, that a 'bandaid' approach really isn't the answer.

RV Lock sells (or may send you for free) a vinyl gasket (sticker) that fits and covers the hole.
61d9a62b6f496ff5c66b2473ad192370.jpg
8f770d8736aab11b83c1f09267fe06b1.jpg

richheck

Seasoned Member

I had to cut the seal from the partition and also relocated the battery compartment of the lock just above the lock. I have contacted RVLock in question to a longer wire harness to ease this fix.