Pulling mountains

Capt7383

We will be venturing to Yellowstone this summer and we will try to avoid the Bighorn mountains but will probably still encounter some nice big hills and grades. We will have the Banks speed brake for the decents, but what about going up? Is there any gearing down? Or just pedal to the metal? I have never pulled any mountains before.
3070re big country 14k,GMC 3500 6.6 lly crew cab turbo diesel
Thanks

Sent from my QTASUN1 using Tapatalk

Smitty325

We will be venturing to Yellowstone this summer and we will try to avoid the Bighorn mountains but will probably still encounter some nice big hills and grades. We will have the Banks speed brake for the decents, but what about going up? Is there any gearing down? Or just pedal to the metal? I have never pulled any mountains before.
3070re big country 14k,GMC 3500 6.6 lly crew cab turbo diesel
Thanks

What tow vehicle?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Lynn1130

I set my cruise and let the transmission and engine figure out where they want to be. The computers keep it in the correct gear and at the correct speed.

Piperflyer

Been all over the mountains in the US & Canada with a similar truck and yours will have no problem towing that RV. You'll probably have to look in your mirrors once in awhile to remind yourself that you are towing an RV. Have fun...Be safe...

Smitty325

Don't worry, your turbo should take good care of you. Just don't expect to be a race horse

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Capt7383

Been all over the mountains in the US & Canada with a similar truck and yours will have no problem towing that RV. You'll probably have to look in your mirrors once in awhile to remind yourself that you are towing an RV. Have fun...Be safe...
Thank you

WillyBill

I set my cruise and let the transmission and engine figure out where they want to be. The computers keep it in the correct gear and at the correct speed.

X2 on "Just set the Cruise" and let it decide. That DuraDually will pull that trailer uphill faster than you would believe!!!

Be Safe 'n Have Fun!!:cool:

WB

Bookoo

I am relatively new at this. I knew I had the power to climb walls, but my concern was going downhill .Lost trail pass that establishes the Idaho /Montana line. I set the compression button to automatic and touched the brake once going around a 180 degree turn. My wife and I were giggling in amazement. Relax, have fun and don't over stress. You'll rather drive your truck towing instead of by itself. Maybe it's just me.

wdk450

I had an Exhaust Gas Temperature gauge added to my truck in 2013. Unfortunately, I only have a transmission temperature idiot light. I choose to limit my exhaust gas temperatures to a redline of 1200 degrees, and will slow down to cool EGT readings when I reach that point. I usually take over from the cruise control with EGT's over 1000 degrees. I will encounter high EGT's LONG before seeing any alarming rise in the engine cooling system temperature. I think that monitoring EGT's is what the responsible diesel truckers do.

I think that having your engine management defuel while you are towing/climbing a grade probably with no places to pull over is NOT a situation I want to encounter.

I have heard that aluminum engine components start to melt at 1300 degrees. I have been a LOT more confident when climbing grades after I had the EGT gauge installed. I also use it routinely when about to shut down the engine allowing the EGT's to cool below 400 degrees before shutting off the engine to minimize turbocharger oil coking (oil turning to carbon in the lube system of a hot turbo). Monitoring EGT's will give you a pretty good idea of instantaneous fuel consumption, too.

Right now I am at 170,000 miles on my engine and it seems to be running pretty good.

Gary521

Going uphill will be no problem for the truck you have. I have never used the speed brake you have so I assume it works ok. The newer Duramax have the built in exhaust brake which works extremely well.

Lynn1130

I have an Edge CS which will monitor all four EGTs in the truck along with other items which I would have to go searching for in the DIC list. Tranny temp, MAF flow, boost etc. With this truck I have never seen EGTs on any of the 4 senders that go much over 1K. In the 04, I would see EGTs at or above 1300. My diesel mechanic said drive it and don't worry about EGTs. The engine computer will keep you from going too high. Pretty much it would downshift when it needed to reduce temps. With the 14, the computers shift as necessary and their are 6 gears whereas the 04 had only 4.

It is not a bad idea to monitor EGT and it gives some peace of mind when hauling long grades but we have some 10 mile or more grades in AZ with outside temps at 110 and I have not seen an issue. I do shut down the air conditioner on a few of those just to take some of the load off but even when I have forgotten to do that, I have not had a problem.

As for the exhaust brake. Love it! The Banks Brake on the 04 would almost bring me to a stop coming down a light grade. On long downhills it kept me at 60-65. The turbo brake on the 14 will do the same but I have found it is not as aggressive so I set my speed about 60 on downhills or it will let me get to 70 before going to work if I am set at 65. I don't like getting that high with sharp curves coming up.

These diesels today are pretty much made to do that type of work and are computered up to keep from doing damage to themselves while doing that work. It is when you chip or program them that you can get yourself into trouble if you are not monitoring what is going on. With chips or programs the safety limits are sometimes overridden to give more horse power or torque.

An EFI Live expert told me one time that programming takes a little of the life away from the engine no matter what else you do to try to protect it. They are built and programmed at the factory to not do long term damage to themselves.