Fuel station questions

deonb

Hi, I have a couple of dumb questions about the fuel station on my RW427:

a) How do I actually fill it up ... ? The inlets seems very small for a gas station's gasoline nozzle - or do they actually fit? I haven't owned a gasoline vehicle for a long time so sorry if this is a silly question.

b) I was planning on always using ethanol-free gasoline since it lasts longer. Is this a good idea, or not really needed? I will still of course run the generator every month, but some gas might stay in there for 6 months or so.

c) In addition to ethanol-free should I treat the fuel with Sta-bil?

d) Do I need to activate the 15 minute timer to fill up? I tried filling the large tank from a 5 gallon portable container before, and it started to spill out immediately even though that tank was empty. The generator tank however fills up fine.

LBR

Hi, I have a couple of dumb questions about the fuel station on my RW427:

a) How do I actually fill it up ... ? The inlets seems very small for a gas station's gasoline nozzle - or do they actually fit? I haven't owned a gasoline vehicle for a long time so sorry if this is a silly question.

b) I was planning on always using ethanol-free gasoline since it lasts longer. Is this a good idea, or not really needed? I will still of course run the generator every month, but some gas might stay in there for 6 months or so.

c) In addition to ethanol-free should I treat the fuel with Sta-bil?

d) Do I need to activate the 15 minute timer to fill up? I tried filling the large tank from a 5 gallon portable container before, and it started to spill out immediately even though that tank was empty. The generator tank however fills up fine.

A) unleaded fuel nozzle fits fine

B) yes on the ethanol gas...I don't like to fill the generator feed tank more than I know Iwill need until next fuelup. Once gas is in that tank, only easy way to rid it is burn it....6 months is OK, but try not storing it much longer.

C) I will always use Stabil in the generator tank....may also start using Seafoam in it.

D) you don't need to turn the timer on....because of how you described this, if you are sure you read the proper tank level when toggling the selector switch, I think the selector switch is miswired...a real simple fix. If a tank reads empty, but won't take fuel but other one takes a lot, selector tank wires probably need swapped.

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
You may have had difficulty putting fuel in the tank if the nozzle wasn't in far enough to hold the spring loaded flap open.
If your rig has two fuel tanks you might consider only putting fuel (with Stabil) in the aft tank (the one with the hose and nozzle). That way it's easier to drain at the end of the season and you can pump into the generator tank only when needed!

porthole

Retired
The mis-wried fuel level switch is not that unusual.

Whenever I put fuel in the tank of the Cyclone it gets a fuel stabilizer with ethanol stabilizer. even if I plan on burning the fuel right away.

Just a habit. Fill up, add the stabilizer.

Ethanol free fuel around our area is a myth.

WillyBill

The mis-wried fuel level switch is not that unusual.

Whenever I put fuel in the tank of the Cyclone it gets a fuel stabilizer with ethanol stabilizer. even if I plan on burning the fuel right away.

Just a habit. Fill up, add the stabilizer.

Ethanol free fuel around our area is a myth.

@Porthole,

If you have Sinclair stations in your area you might check there for non-ethanol fuel. Here in the Inter-Mountain West they are the only ones I can count on to have it. All of their station's premium is non-ethanol. Other brands are VERY hit & Miss so I don't even bother unless I stumble on them by accident. Almost all small engines nowadays spec non-ethanol BTW. I only use the stabilizer at the end of the season that way.

WB

deonb

@Porthole,

If you have Sinclair stations in your area you might check there for non-ethanol fuel. Here in the Inter-Mountain West they are the only ones I can count on to have it. All of their station's premium is non-ethanol. Other brands are VERY hit & Miss so I don't even bother unless I stumble on them by accident. Almost all small engines nowadays spec non-ethanol BTW. I only use the stabilizer at the end of the season that way.

WB

I've always had good luck with the stations listed on:
https://www.pure-gas.org/

We have one in my neighborhood that is the size of a truck stop.

porthole

Retired
I've always had good luck with the stations listed on:
https://www.pure-gas.org/

We have one in my neighborhood that is the size of a truck stop.

For us in New Jersey - we just don't bother.

Only 3 SInclair's in the entire State that I know of, and I do not know if they carry E- free.

I use the app linked above when I travel on the bike, but that is still no guarantee you can use it.

In NJ 5 stations are listed, 2 are marinas and one is an airport, one is a motorcycle repair shop. Most have a caveat of the fuel containing lead, which you can't use.

Then therw is the $5 to $10 a gallon cost.