Ford F150 and Mallard M325

DSweet

Hello all. I'm new to this site as I just purchased a 2018 Mallard M325. I'm not new to camping and towing a trailer however.
Does anyone pull a M325 with a Ford F150? Trailer empty weight is 8025 lbs. My truck towing capacity is 9100 lbs. This doesn't leave me much room for supplies etc. Just looking for someone who may be towing a similar set up.
2015 Ford F150 with 5.0 V8. Lariat super crew with 6.5 ft bed. Using Blue Ox hitch and 1000 lbs weight distribution bars.
2018 Mallard 325.

Thanks for the info.

justafordguy

Welcome to the site, can't wait to see some pictures of the M325.

That's going to be a lot for that F150 to handle. It will have plenty of power but that's a lot of weight. You need to load it for travel and go to a truck scale. Once you have all the actual numbers we can better help you decide if it will work.

DSweet

Welcome to the site, can't wait to see some pictures of the M325.

That's going to be a lot for that F150 to handle. It will have plenty of power but that's a lot of weight. You need to load it for travel and go to a truck scale. Once you have all the actual numbers we can better help you decide if it will work.

Thanks for the response. I agree with everything you say except I can't take it out to scale until I purchase it and take delivery. Then it's mine. I'm not gonna buy a new vehicle again. May just need to go with our 2nd choice of units.

Would You go with that unit or go with something lighter?

Stenz

In my opinion that's getting pretty heavy. I would consider a lighter unit.

If towing in the mountains on steep grades is something you will be doing, you will need to consider weight.

kf5qby

With the published dry eight of the that trailer and your stated tow capacity you only have about 700lbs of cargo capacity available on the trailer before you max out the truck. Water weighs just over 8 lbs/gallon. If you keep your fresh water tank full that would be most of your cargo capacity. Not to mention black and grey water. This does not give you much room for anything else. I would look for a smaller/lighter trailer.

NH-Duck

I purchased a M33 last year which is similar in size and weight to the M325. I towed it twice with my Silverado 1500 which also had a 9100# tow capacity and I must say it was. really pushing the limits so I decided upgraded to a 2500. The other thing to keep in mind is the max payload of the tow vehicle which is often exceeded before the max trailing on 1/2 ton trucks. This is not to say it can't be done it just doesn't make for a real pleasant driving experience.

Good luck.

DSweet

I purchased a M33 last year which is similar in size and weight to the M325. I towed it twice with my Silverado 1500 which also had a 9100# tow capacity and I must say it was. really pushing the limits so I decided upgraded to a 2500. The other thing to keep in mind is the max payload of the tow vehicle which is often exceeded before the max trailing on 1/2 ton trucks. This is not to say it can't be done it just doesn't make for a real pleasant driving experience.

Good luck.
Thanks for this info. Couple of updates. The empty weight on my unit is 7700 lbs., which is lower than the advertised weight on the Heartland site. I also don't carry any water. Fresh or other wise. We usually get a site for the season so there is towing only twice a year and it about 70 miles from home to site. So since we are at one place for a while we can ferry items needed back and forth as we visit to keep towing weight down. Lastly, as part of the purchase, the dealer offered to deliver the unit to our site. They really wanted to make a deal before the end of the month.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
It's better to have more than enough truck than barely enough. You will not enjoy the travel experience if you are overloaded and the truck is not handling properly.

Look into this app, it's great for determining realistic towing numbers.

Www.rvtowcheck.com

It was created by a Heartland Owner, because of his own experiences.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

avvidclif

Thanks for this info. Couple of updates. The empty weight on my unit is 7700 lbs., which is lower than the advertised weight on the Heartland site. I also don't carry any water. Fresh or other wise. We usually get a site for the season so there is towing only twice a year and it about 70 miles from home to site. So since we are at one place for a while we can ferry items needed back and forth as we visit to keep towing weight down. Lastly, as part of the purchase, the dealer offered to deliver the unit to our site. They really wanted to make a deal before the end of the month.

Under those circumstances I would probably stay with the F150 and just not get in a hurry.

justafordguy

If the dry weight of that Mallard is 7700 and you will only move it a short distance twice a year and only when it's empty, then then your F150 will do fine.

rideoutr

I also have a 2018 Mallard M325 and tow it with an F150, but its a 2018 F150 5.0 with over 400hp and over 425 ft torque capable of towing up to 11,600 lbs. I use the e2 hitch by fastway that provides you with faster and easier weight distribution and sway control, goodbye old chain style hitches. The weight distribution piece of this hitch is a life saver, it keeps the weight of the truck and trailer well distributed and I can get the truck within 1/4 of when its unhitched. I take our Mallard M325 to the Adirondacks in upstate NY and it pulls like a dream.

Peteandsharon

Hi all,

I am in the same boat in that I have a new 2018 F-150 with the 3.5L Ecoboost with 470 lb. ft. of torque. I am looking for a travel trailer to pull with the Ford and I'm currently looking at a smaller rig with a dry weight around 6300 lbs. Pulling the weight of the trailer is not a concern but I am concerned about the hitch weight which is around 770 lbs. I understand the concept of the weight distributing hitch but what I'm not real sure about is exactly how much of the weight gets distributed back to the trailer wheels and how much gets distributed to the four wheels of the tow vehicle. For instance if I end up with a loaded hitch weight of 900 lbs., how much of that weight would I actually be putting on the truck? I still have a max payload that I am trying to keep under so this info is important.

Thanks all,