Bikes?

gpcvg

We just purchased our second Bighorn fifth wheel. This is a new 2017 3760EL and it doesn't have a receiver for our bike rack in the back. Our used Bighorn had a rear receiver installed when we bought it. Camping world told us that if we put one on the rear or mounted on on the hitch, it will void our warranty. If it does void the warranty, we will have to figure out another way to take our bikes with us. So how does everyone carry their bikes? I know we could put them inside the fifth wheel but where would you strap them down and not mess up the finish inside? I have seen pictures of the hitch mounted receiver and thought that was a great idea but I don't want to do anything that will void our warranty or mess our fifth wheel up.

Thanks for the replies in advance.

RDsStudio59

I would have a hard time believing Camping World is in charge of the Heartland warranty.
Call Heartland Customer Service direct and ask them for yourself. Have your VIN number handy and call Monday morning.
877-262-8032

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Camping World may not have given you the entire warranty story.
If you had a hitch installed and had a warranty problem they would have to prove that what you did caused the problem.
So if, for example your slide fell out on the ground, the burden of proof would be on them that your hitch installation caused the problem.
It's spelled out here in the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.
And on a side note, I had a frame problem two years after the warranty expired. I have a rack on the back of my coach and a receiver hitch mounted to my pin box. There was no question when Heartland/Lippert repaired it for free.

Peace
Dave

ram22

Install a front receiver hitch on your tow vehicle. Google Curt hitches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danemayer

Camping world told us that if we put one on the rear or mounted on on the hitch, it will void our warranty.

Verbal explanations of the warranty from either Camping World or even Heartland employees don't change what's covered and what's excluded. You can read the actual Heartland warranty in your trailer manual.

However, Lippert warrants the frame and that's where any issues related to receiver hitches might show up. I don't think I've ever heard of frame problems caused by carrying a bicycle.

Nevertheless, when I was buying a Lippert designed 1-1/4" receiver hitch directly from Lippert, to install on the frame designed and manufactured by Lippert, using brackets already attached to the frame by Lippert, a Lippert employee was quick to tell me over the phone that installing the hitch would void the Lippert warranty on the frame. She explained that Lippert says that because they have no way of knowing what I'm going to attach to the receiver hitch. I guess they're worried about me towing a Space Shuttle.

CDN

B and B

sengli

I put a hitch on the front of the truck. Had a hitch on the back of the fiver, and drug my bikes four times due to hitch bouncing.

Attachments

• IMAG0272.jpg
    IMAG0272.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 79

dave10a

I put a hitch on the front of the truck. Had a hitch on the back of the fiver, and drug my bikes four times due to hitch bouncing.
I agree that this is the best place. I have a bike rack similar to the OP's. I had a welder beef up the hitch to minimize the bouncing, but still bounce albeit about half as much. After many miles of travel, both of my bicycles had the paint wore of where J hold down rubs on the bikes- they have to be really tight on the bike frame bar. I have completely abandoned the this in favor of a ladder bike holder which most likely will do a better job transporting the bike with no bouncing and paint damage. I don't know what the Lippert receiver hitch is intended for, but it aint bikes :)

jjwink

I agree that this is the best place. I have a bike rack similar to the OP's. I had a welder beef up the hitch to minimize the bouncing, but still bounce albeit about half as much. After many miles of travel, both of my bicycles had the paint wore of where J hold down rubs on the bikes- they have to be really tight on the bike frame bar. I have completely abandoned the this in favor of a ladder bike holder which most likely will do a better job transporting the bike with no bouncing and paint damage. I don't know what the Lippert receiver hitch is intended for, but it aint bikes :)
Ladder is definitely NOT made for bikes-- or people. We had to replace ours recently because ours came off while bringing bikes home from AZ. Most RV ladders are for decoration/ emergency use😉🤔😏. We promised Heartland Service we would never put a bike on there again! Have a good bracket welded on( had this on previous rig).

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
What would be nice would be to have two receivers welded on the back bumper or frame with a bike rack that has two receiver fittings.

Then we wouldn't have a bounce and loose with our bikes on the back of our trailers.

Maybe I should invent one . . . then maybe I could retire! :p

TXBobcat

Fulltime
In 2010 I installed a bike rack on the pin box of my Bighorn. I have a long bed which gives me plenty of room to turn and not hit the back of the cab. The original design was given to the forum some time ago so I am not the originator. I hope this helps..

DSC_0094.jpg IMG_0044.jpg

BC

LBR

In 2010 I installed a bike rack on the pin box of my Bighorn. I have a long bed which gives me plenty of room to turn and not hit the back of the cab. The original design was given to the forum some time ago so I am not the originator. I hope this helps..

View attachment 53644 View attachment 53645

BC
This is probably the way we are going also...been looking into it today and reading the pros/cons of the pinbox mount from years past.

DIYJunkie

I use Thule 821 Low Rider Bicycle Mounts attached to a 1x4 that spans the two floor tie downs in my fiver. No problem with two bikes.

Attachments

• Thule 821 Low rider Bicycle fork mount.jpg
    Thule 821 Low rider Bicycle fork mount.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 41

dave10a

Ladder is definitely NOT made for bikes-- or people. We had to replace ours recently because ours came off while bringing bikes home from AZ. Most RV ladders are for decoration/ emergency use😉🤔😏. We promised Heartland Service we would never put a bike on there again! Have a good bracket welded on( had this on previous rig).

My ladder seems to be secure enough to hold the weight. Without have any real life experience with bike on the ladder, I think I will look harder at the front hitch, but I am a little concerned about air-flow to the radiator. Thanks for your experience.....

- - - Updated - - -

This is probably the way we are going also...been looking into it today and reading the pros/cons of the pinbox mount from years past.
How does that effect sharp turns for a 6.5 ft or short bed?

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
a6c236c0a4b393271ddcf77297b22448.jpg

We don't take bikes often. But with a wheel rack and taking the seat and front wheel off, bikes fit in basement.
e41d962443cbed9e4da8629ade856afe.jpg
dfc7aba2b34add97cdad7fcde39e209e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LBR

My ladder seems to be secure enough to hold the weight. Without have any real life experience with bike on the ladder, I think I will look harder at the front hitch, but I am a little concerned about air-flow to the radiator. Thanks for your experience.....

- - - Updated - - -

How does that effect sharp turns for a 6.5 ft or short bed?
I Googled 'fifth wheel pinbox bike mount' and read many old articles...one guy had a short box truck with either 2 or 3 bikes on his pinbox and was OK...even showed a pic jackknifed....IDK, prety sure that is what Im going to do tho....no way will I compromise blocking the radiator/tranny airflows, turn signals, headlights blockage etc.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Did you buy that or have it made? If you bought it, may I ask where? And thanks.

I picked up a 9" Receiver, 2" angle, air tubing & 90* for the air into the pinbox. Marked were I needed the holes for 8grade bolts and had someone weld it for me.

I really like it..

BC