Drilled and slotted rotors

Mattman

I have read drilled and slotted rotors are better for towing. I also heard from some guys that towing can crack them. Anyone have any experience either way or scientific data either way?
Thanks

sean.harp

On the TV? I'd depend more on the engine exhaust brake myself and not worry about the rotors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alexb2000

Agreed. I have gone down all the major passes in the Rockies only touching the brakes to let the transmission know what speed I wanted to descend. Using brakes to descend when towing is a formula for disaster.

Mattman

You guys are taking this off topic from my question. My question has to do with the rotors. If I had a newer diesel engine with that technology I wouldn't be asking that question. I will qualify it by saying older gas powered trucks used for towing.

porthole

Retired
I have read drilled and slotted rotors are better for towing. I also heard from some guys that towing can crack them. Anyone have any experience either way or scientific data either way?
Thanks

If you keep searching and reading you will probably find almost as much negative to positive comments on the benefits of drilled or slotted rotors.

Brake pad composition has come a long way where there is little to no benefit of the ventilated rotors and possibly more harm then good.

If it was my Excursion, I would just buy quality pads and rotors.

alexb2000

You guys are taking this off topic from my question. My question has to do with the rotors. If I had a newer diesel engine with that technology I wouldn't be asking that question. I will qualify it by saying older gas powered trucks used for towing.

Sorry, I just now see your tow vehicle in your signature.

I have put on several sets of EBC brakes with good success. They require that you use their rotors with their pads. The "yellow stuff" pads with their rotors produce MUCH improved stopping distances and are recommended for towing. The only downside I have seen is some squeal when they are new and they produce brake dust.

https://www.summitracing.com/oh/sea...2/make/ford/model/excursion?retaillocation=oh

kf5qby

They will allow the brakes to run cooler and cool down quicker.

The downside is if they warp you will not be able to have them turned (resurfaced). They will have to be replaced. Same thing if you get uneven wear on them. Just something to keep in the back of your mind.

I ran a set on my old 4x4 Durango. I did a lot of off-roading and they did help keep the brakes cooler.

I personally never had any cracking but I have seen drilled rotors that did crack.

Gary521

I have a race car. The purpose of drilled and slotted rotors is to allow venting of gasses that build up from brake pads on a race car. ( if there are any gasses there ) Supposedly, the gasses may inhibit the braking process. However, with a trailer, no one is going to build up gasses that would inhibit braking. Drilled and slotted rotors are mostly for show anyway. Don't waste your money. The only type of rotor that will help is one that has been cryo treated and that rotor would go on your tow vehicle. They will not help the braking process but will help with wear. To help with braking, the pad composition is way way more important that rotors in comparison.

The rotors from Titan or Kodiak are vented anyway. There is a gap in the rotor walls that allows air to pass. The air passes from the center of the rotor to the outside. This is how rotors are cooled. ( in addition to the outside surface ) In some racing rotors, the vane between these walls is curved to aid in this air moving process. In my car, I have a duct that blows air on the center of the rotor to aid in the cooling process. My rotors are not drilled or slotted but I do have special pads and I have no braking issues.

Apropdoc

Utah Chapter Leaders-retired
Matt, I had drilled and slotted brakes from a big brand and all they did was cook off with light use (yes trailer brakes are good). I went to Autozone and got the Duralast Gold setup all the way around and they are great!, I can even turn the rotors if I need to.