Leaking Tanks?

jcochran

I just picked up my new Bighorn from Genera Rv and I am on my way to Colorado where I live. The first night I pulled into a campsite with full hookups I found a bunch of blue(charged black tank water) at the cap on the pipe. I eventually got the hose on and thought that somebody did not get the valve closed all the way. The next day after traveling I found what appeared to be grey tank water because it was brown at the cap. I was able to buy a bucket and drain this initial head off but there was a small trickle that just kept coming. I think it might be a faulty valve but was looking for any trouble shooting ideas before I have to waste a day at a dealer somewhere along the way. I am in Hill City right now near Mt. Rushmore and will be heading to Eagle Colorado.

davebennington

I had what seem to be the same problem, every time I took the cap off the end of the pipe I had stuff there. I found that it is not a leaking valve but water sloshing around from a dip in the pipe. I took the easy way out rather then re-plumb and went to camping world and purchased a slide valve that connects via bayonet just as the cap does and the cap now fits onto the slide valve. This also helps when you have senior moment and pull the slide to empty the tanks and you have not taken the cap off yet.

Dave

Forrest Fetherolf

I added a 4th valve to eliminate unexpected shower when removing the travel cap, sewer pipe extension, and Sewer Solution system.

Forrest

Attachments

• IMPROVEMENTS009.JPG
    IMPROVEMENTS009.JPG
    161.4 KB · Views: 72

jbeletti

Had one on the last 5er and left it on for the new owners. Went out and got me one for the new 5er. Love it. No more surprises :)

Jim

jcochran

This is all great! I will pick one up on the way home. It is kind of a bummer that it happens at all. This is a great forum.

campcar

Good info to know

I have the same problem. Everytime I stop and take off my cap to attach the hose I get a cup or two of water flow out which I could never figure out why. Now I know what is happening. Thanks.

beardedone

Beardedone
When I got my Augusta a couple of months ago I had the same problem but it has steadily improved until now there is very little getting through. It seemed like the gate had to seat into place through repeated usage.

Northern Virginia
I am having the same problem on my Augusta. I think I will buy an auxiliary gate valve as well.

fhollan

Objects in the Tank!

I had an experience last year concerning leakage of one of my tanks. You might take a look at this post on what I found.

nscaler2

Knockout plug

Had the same problem with ours. On one of the trips to the dealer to repair the sagging fresh water tank, we had the dealer look at it. I turned out to be the round piece of plastic that is created when they cut into the side of the tank to install the valve. It was lift in the tank and would intermittently foul the valve so that it wouldn't close all the way. Also had one in the grey tank connected to the kitchen sink. It always drained slow. So far, no more surprises at the cap. However, the final valve you guys are talking about is just good insurance. ;)