Tear in rubber roof

psdl*99

I have a 2009 3612 purchased in March 2008. We have been out 15 times so far this searson and love the unit. Last Friday I hit a low hanging branch (3 inch diameter) dragging it from front to back of the roof. Along the way it tore a long line in the roof liner, tore off a Maxair vent cover and cracked one vent cover. The rubber roof has been patched with a rubberized tape by a dealer for the time being. But the right thing to do is replace the whole roof. My question for this forum:
1. Will the replacement roof be as good as the factory roof?
2. What should I look for in a dealership to do this work?
3. What should I check after the work is done?
4. Any other tips in this effort?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Pete

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
I would check with the dealer to see what tape he used ,if he used Eternabond your in good shape. This is a permanent repair fix and you should not need to replace the roof , will have a patch but who knows but you. Well I guess the forum does but we don't count.;) Replacing the roof is quite a job and expensive. Check this link on Eternabond: www.eternabond.com .. Kenny..

psdl*99

Kenny,
Eternabond is the product that was installed. Even though this may be considered a perm fix I wonder what would happen if there is future water damage. Would I be SOL if I did not replace the roof and there was water damage? I have no problems putting in a claim... that's why I have the insurance. I am more worried about what might happen if I do not replace it and if the waranty or my insurance company will not cover it later.

Pete

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Well a "friend of mine" had a similar incident that required extensive roof repair to the tune of $7,000 and his insurance company, Allstate, paid for it all minus his deductible. He was a very fortunate person in my book. Also tells of how well Allstate takes care of their customers.

Mark

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Pete, I hear and read that Eternabond is great stuff. BUT! Their warranty only covers replacement of the tape to the damaged area if the tape is found to be defective. Not consequential damage. If you are more comfortable putting in a claim and your insurance company will replace the roof then that's they way you should go. Especially if it could be done over the winter when you're not using the rig. I would think your new roof would have a warranty just like the original. Good luck with your decision! Oh by the way, watch out for those low hanging limbs :eek::D:D:D.