New Reason for Auto/Truck Burglaries?

wdk450

Gang:
I was watching the local Fresno TV news yesterday morning and they were reporting on an alarming number (44) of vehicle burglaries in a certain area neighborhood. The report was most alarming in that it was said that a large number of the vehicles had nothing taken OTHER THAN THE VEHICLE REGISTRATION AND PROOF OF INSURANCE. A law enforcement source informed the reporters that the stolen documents could be used for identity theft. Drivers were advised TO CARRY THOSE DOCUMENTS WITH THEM AND NOT LEAVE THEM IN THE VEHICLE. There has to be a better answer for this.

gregw

I know I'm suppose to carry them with me however never have. Just didn't feel safe doing so. Do have copies in Dropbox easily accessed. Never been cited for not having them not ever pulled over much either.

olcoon

In Missouri, (unless things have changed since I retired), you are not required to carry your registration. I always have, as especially in other states there are 3 things an officer asks for, drivers license, proof of insurance, & registration. This is something else I guess we are going to have to keep an eye on. I'm just wondering if the people who have had them stolen have had any issues with identity theft, after the break in. Another possibility would be that possibly they are somehow altering the original documents, and using them on stolen vehicles, or selling them to someone who doesn't want to fork over the bucks for insurance & proper licensing.