What truck to buy?

Phidelt83

Hello everyone!
Recently my family stayed in a rented 5th wheel at an RV campground and LOVED the experience so much we have begun thinking about having our own. Our two small children (ages 5 and 3) had a blast also! We own property and have been thinking about purchasing a truck for some time and now we are also thinking about a travel trailer. We spent some time today at our local dealer and fell in love with the Heartland Trail Runner 27 RKS. The floor plan is perfect for us!
My question, and forgive me if it's already been asked a thousand times, is which truck should I be looking at to properly tow this size trailer? Will a 150/1500 do the job or will a 250/2500 be safer? I understand that although the smaller size trucks can handle the empty weight, are the larger trucks (with larger brakes/higher towing capacity) ultimately that much better? I live in Florida so a majority of trips will be on flat ground, but we will venture up the east coast and into more hilly terrain. I do not plan on towing with full tanks, as from my preliminary research has told me, this adds a ton of weight. Also, with little ones and just our desire for creature comforts we will primarily be staying places with full hook ups. Any additional advice for a total noob would be welcomed. Thanks, and it's exciting to be here!!

Bones

Hello everyone!
Recently my family stayed in a rented 5th wheel at an RV campground and LOVED the experience so much we have begun thinking about having our own. Our two small children (ages 5 and 3) had a blast also! We own property and have been thinking about purchasing a truck for some time and now we are also thinking about a travel trailer. We spent some time today at our local dealer and fell in love with the Heartland Trail Runner 27 RKS. The floor plan is perfect for us!
My question, and forgive me if it's already been asked a thousand times, is which truck should I be looking at to properly tow this size trailer? Will a 150/1500 do the job or will a 250/2500 be safer? I understand that although the smaller size trucks can handle the empty weight, are the larger trucks (with larger brakes/higher towing capacity) ultimately that much better? I live in Florida so a majority of trips will be on flat ground, but we will venture up the east coast and into more hilly terrain. I do not plan on towing with full tanks, as from my preliminary research has told me, this adds a ton of weight. Also, with little ones and just our desire for creature comforts we will primarily be staying places with full hook ups. Any additional advice for a total noob would be welcomed. Thanks, and it's exciting to be here!!

I'm not sure exactly the weight on your trailer. When you go shopping go online and check the tow ratings for the 150/1500 and 250/2500. If you can swing the extra payments get a diesel otherwise a gasser should do ok. If you choose the larger vehicle of the two you will give yourself a bit of leeway to possibly upgrade your trailer later down the line. Check out fifth wheel street here to get a better idea for towing. If your in spec with everything your good to go. Enjoy your new adventures.

alexb2000

I also believe you will be much happier with a 3/4 ton. 1/2 tons today are sprung very soft and designed to serve the weekend HD crowd while giving the comfort of a car. We just had another thread on the subject, but I believe you have to take all the tow ratings with a grain of salt.

fastcarsspeed

GVWR of the Trailer runner is 9k lbs. A 150/1500 typically is in the 9200k range towing capacity. Also since you stayed in 5th wheel and now looking at a TT with two children you may decide in two to three years that you need to upsize your rv if you really love it. You would be more comfy in a 250/2500 towing with that camper especially in the hills and not stressing on weight. But again in a couple years you may be looking at going largers so I would weigh your options along with your finances before purchasing a truck of course. Good luck.

Lynn1130

There are a lot of threads here on which vehicle to get but the best place to start and a location recommended by several experts on this site (I am not an expert but we have some who are very knowledgeable) is http://fifthwheelst.com/

As mentioned above think 3-5 years out because if you buy something that just gets by now you will be looking for a new truck again in a few years because you want to upgrade trailers. Most likely you will be in the 15K to 18K trailer range with the second one, if not this one, so buy for that size. You might end up over-trucked now but you will not regret it even with a lighter trailer.

And buy the brand that turns you on not what someone else likes. This question always starts the "I prefer Ford, or Chevy, or Dodge".

Last edited:

gregw

I'm in the 250/2500 crowd. Always had gas until 5 years ago. Switched to Diesel and could not be happier with the towing. Never knew what I was missing. Ultimately it will depend on how much you are going to tow. If you are going to stay home FL most of the time the gasser is a less expensive option.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
It's better to have more than enough truck than barely enough. I would go bigger, because the RV bug is infectious. Once you buy what you think is perfect, use it, eventually you move to something else --- history has shown most people move up in size and weight.

Our journey
6900 TT => 14350 5ver => 16000 5ver

We went from an SUV to a 1/2 ton pickup to an older model 1 ton Dually to a newer 1 ton Dually, since 2008.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

avvidclif

Yep the RV bug bites hard and continuous. I had camped for years with a TT, Class A, and C. Got out of it for several years but bought a small 25" TT to go camping with my son and grandkids. I had a 1500 GMC so it had no problems but I was looking sideways at a bigger trailer after a couple of years so went looking for a truck first. Stumbled upon a deal on a closeout 2009 F350 Diesel SRW. Figured I'm set for life. Uh huh. A short while later the TT morphed into a 29' 5th wheel, no problem. Then a couple of years later it changed into a 32' 5th wheel, still no problem. 2 more years and it changed into a 38' Toy Hauler so I could take my Harley camping. Oops, maxed out and my F350 needs training wheels for me to be real comfortable.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

DocMartin

Better to have more truck and does give you growing room for upgrades down the road. HD trucks do everything better when it comes to towing. Big factor is safety as well. Today's HD trucks also ride very well and can be a daily driver with ease.

Good luck!