Class 8 tow rig

We have a 2018 RW 427, currently pulling with a 2017 Chevy 3500 diesel duallie with Allison transmission. We are looking at a Volvo VNL780 as an alternative tow rig. Does anyone else us a "big rig" for their tow vehicle? What are your experiences? CDL? Insurance, taxes, performance?

SNOKING

Done correctly it is licensed at a MH. Bed, port-a-potty, sink and microwave. Get in it and drive. Go to Escapees site to learn more. Chris

crazybanshee

You will not get an argument from me. Been doing this way for 14 years. Now my F350 just pulls my car hauler or enclosed trailer. This is our new rigIMG_0135.jpg

bsackettkc

I'm currently pulling my Cyclone 4200 with a 2013 Volvo 780 since last year and will never go back. The difference in pulling and ride comfort is amazing.

In Missouri I was able to get it re titled as a MotorHome. No CDL........No weigh stations..........No log books. Just drive it like you would a any other RV.

Looking at Alabama, not a whole lot of info on converting a HDT into a motorhome. As mentioned before, head over to escapees.com and go to the HDT forum. You'll find a lot of info there.

bsackettkc

What is the mpg?
And how much does the tractor cost?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

MPG all depends on how heavy my foot is. If I keep it around 62 i get around 8mpg.

Cost is all about miles. The lower the miles, the more you'll pay. Some folks buy them with higher miles that have had a good service history and spend about 20K + - and have really good trucks.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I'll bet you can't get the $20 oil change at Grease Monkey with one of those . . . :eek:

LBR

We have a 2018 RW 427, currently pulling with a 2017 Chevy 3500 diesel duallie with Allison transmission. We are looking at a Volvo VNL780 as an alternative tow rig. Does anyone else us a "big rig" for their tow vehicle? What are your experiences? CDL? Insurance, taxes, performance?

We have an older Class 5 CC Ford that is soon to get replaced. I initially wished for a Class 5 or 6 M2 106 Freightliner of the 2005 -2009 years. We had since shifted gears because of a few caveats it would carry as opposed to a new Class 4 Ford for the same $$$, more accessible service centers in our travels, turn-key warranty, and spec'd nicely for hauling our 20,000# CY. It is a very tough pill for me to take downgrading from a Class 5 to a 4, but that's just me. DW and I did tons of researching on the 2017 & 18 Fords and could write a blog on it...lol!

Insurance was an issue as the truck was on our Commercial business policy towing our personal second home...didnt like the thought of dealing with 3 companies plus possibly someone elses in case of an accident, so I looked for a company to cover the truck, trailer, and toy on one policy...not the easiest because of the truck...ended up going with National General and the Good Sam Roadside Assistance policies. NG considers our 5 Series as a semi-tractor, but everything is insured for $1100/year.

I don't run with a CDL and sales taxes are not an issue for us in Oregon.

The other thing I've experienced is a couple of naysayers on here that thinks their Class 2 and 3 pickups are the "ultimate towing beasts", and I'm sure you'll hear from one in attempt to sink your HDT boat, or at least burst your bubble.....good luck with that...lol!!

wdk450

How do you handle the problem of runs to the supermarket, sightseeing, etc. with the semi?

crazybanshee

Ours is registered as a motor home in Colorado and no CDL required. Most places have RV parking when on vacation. Disney land and Universal studios have plenty of parking. The truck does not take up any more space than a 1 ton dually. I do not park in the spot outside the front door. I can walk.
Oil changes are done about every 12 thousand miles. Or once a year. The international had 400,000 miles and $20,000. The Volvo had 480,000 and was $45,000 so prices vary by brand, miles and age.

alexb2000

Class 8 tractors are the most efficient way to move some weight on our road system. The parts are actually cheap when compared to the cost of maintaining a modern diesel pickup.

For example I just bought a 6.7 powerstroke fuel filter on Amazon for $53, half the dealer price of $102. I could buy a Cummins ISX fuel filter for $20 all day long and it is MUCH easier to change.

I've had several million mile class 8 trucks that ran great and were ready to work. Yes they had an inframe and a lot of maintenance, but they were still running strong. Million mile pickups are rare because they are all long gone with way fewer miles.

If it suits your needs and you plan to drive many miles they would make sense.

carl.swoyer

I'm not sure that I can justify the cost of a large tractor. Although short money on a used one I'm not interested in tire replacement time or anything else that would need repair and costly maintain.
Just my thoughts.
I've been all over the country with 05 Duramax lly crew cab long bed. 224,000 miles still going strong and I still get 11 to 12 mpg.
10632c85ca7932e233a834dbb7294a4d.jpg

Rooster58

I'm not sure that I can justify the cost of a large tractor. Although short money on a used one I'm not interested in tire replacement time or anything else that would need repair and costly maintain.
Just my thoughts.
I've been all over the country with 05 Duramax lly crew cab long bed. 224,000 miles still going strong and I still get 11 to 12 mpg.
10632c85ca7932e233a834dbb7294a4d.jpg

You can get a really nice class 8 for around $20k. Spend another $5k or so and you have the ultimate tow rig. A $20k medium duty or similar truck won't be nearly as nice and won't last nearly as long. It is cheaper than you would think to own a class 8. That is the route I'm taking when I go full time. I do have an advantage though when it comes to buying one. I'll just buy from my boss. I know they are all maintained extremely well. Before o got my 17 model I was driving a 2009 that had 1.6 million miles on it. Still ran and drove awesome. Tires on a class 8 will last in the hundreds of thousands of miles if taken care of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk