Rodent/Pest Control

wolfrat1

A general frustration question. None of the items I've used so far do anything to control pests. Dryer sheets, the drop packets sold at camping world, general rv or anyplace else. Does anyone have a tried and true method for pest control? I'd like to hear it before I put my trailer up for the winter. Really gets frustration wasting money on things that don't work...

Thanks in advance...

klp605

Mouse Free is what had been recommended to me. Told it is easy to apply. Available on Amazon.

Also curious to know what other Heartlanders have found to be successful.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Mouse Free is what had been recommended to me. Told it is easy to apply. Available on Amazon.

Also curious to know what other Heartlanders have found to be successful.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I've been using MouseFree for several years. It works. You do need to apply it each year. I spray it on in the spring. It can be brushed or rolled on, but spraying is easier and quicker.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bob.jr

I have used shredded steel wool and ammonia. Works most of the time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

CoveredWagon

How big a Rv will a gallon of Mouse-Free cover ? It's fairly expensive stuff. And where does one apply it ?

JohnDar

How big a Rv will a gallon of Mouse-Free cover ? It's fairly expensive stuff. And where does one apply it ?

Their literature says a gallon will do a 24ft. trailer. Obviously, my 3670 is considerably longer than that and I use about 3/4 of a gallon. You only need to apply it to the exposed frame and the struts or jacks that contact the ground. I also brush a little on the power cable near the trailer connection, the water hose where it rises into the UDC, and spray the sewer pipe where it exits the frame. I do not spray the entire underbody.

I even brush a little on the lower area of the Shepherd hooks the wife hangs her plants and bird feeders on to keep crawling insects off.

I originally bought the two gallon option to get the sprayer, since I didn't have one. Actually, that would preclude having to clean a better spray gun that you use for paints, etc.

Per info from the company, it will not lose its potency in storage. And the odor is not strong, even when applying it. It does leave a gel-like coating on the surfaces, but it can be wiped off with a rag.

If you use it and drive through dirty, dusty areas, it will probably collect dirt. But it does have a rust preventative quality since it does coat the frame and stays there.

Your mileage may vary and I am not a paid spokesman.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Fwiw, we have used "Fresh Cab", I assume it works, but it looses it's potency after about a month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnDar

Thanks John, there goes another $140

A boat is a hole in the water you pour money into. A house is a similar one in the ground. A trailer is simply a platform you pile money on and drag around for all to see.

alexb2000

I just had a family move into the roof (between the ceiling panels and roof). We would lay in bed and hear them running, scratching, etc. I wanted to stop that real quick before they damaged something so I took down the vent trim and put a mouse trap baited with peanut butter against the insulation. It worked, each day was like Christmas morning taking down the vent trim to see what we caught over night. Generally I leave Tom Cat poison blocks all over the lower portion of the trailer and that works until they eat them all, which caught me by surprise and I didn't get them replaced quickly enough.

This winter I am going to put one of these under the pin area...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSk79YcuIRQ

My mercy has gone down quite a bit since I've had to rewire at least one trailer a year on my property because of chew damage.

CoveredWagon

A boat is a hole in the water you pour money into. A house is a similar one in the ground. A trailer is simply a platform you pile money on and drag around for all to see.

I'm learning faster than slower 😱 Just had to buy a repeater for the TPMS.

B O A T = Bring another thousand.
Aviation AMU = Aviation money unit, 1 AMU = $1000. All parts cost many many AMUs

rxbristol

I use preventive measures. I spent a whole day taping and sealing all holes and seams under the RV--and there were lots of them. Then I use brass wool (does not rust) around my electrical cord entrance hole and make sure the UDC hole is blocked (they can get around the seal between the UDC and bay). Two mice got into the RV when we were in Santa Rosa (we were only there for one night) because I did not use the brass wool around the electrical entrance, but they cannot resist peanut butter on a mouse trap.

Rottiesmom

New York Chapter Leader - retired
I feel your frustrations we use to have issues with Mice with our SOB brand when we store it in the winter (and it was in a woody area), however a friend told me to put "Bounce" dryer sheets (not all dryer sheets work) I put them all around under cushions, on the bed mattress in drawers, around water line and electrical openings and the pantry (after removing all foods), I put the steel wool around openings for electrical and plumbing also and have used Oregano in coffee filters and spread them out throughout the camper especially by any openings they can get in. I also remove any items they can use for nesting at the end of the season, i.e. sponges, paper towels, comforters etc. We have never had an issue with Mice again. During the camping season we use units that you plug into your outlets we have one inside the camper and the other is in the outlet in our basement and I can honestly say we have never seen a mouse or critter in the unit since. Good luck with your search.

itinerants

I feel your frustrations we use to have issues with Mice with our SOB brand when we store it in the winter (and it was in a woody area), however a friend told me to put "Bounce" dryer sheets (not all dryer sheets work) I put them all around under cushions, on the bed mattress in drawers, around water line and electrical openings and the pantry (after removing all foods), I put the steel wool around openings for electrical and plumbing also and have used Oregano in coffee filters and spread them out throughout the camper especially by any openings they can get in. I also remove any items they can use for nesting at the end of the season, i.e. sponges, paper towels, comforters etc. We have never had an issue with Mice again. During the camping season we use units that you plug into your outlets we have one inside the camper and the other is in the outlet in our basement and I can honestly say we have never seen a mouse or critter in the unit since. Good luck with your search.
I found mouse turds one drawer under using one of those plug in units. One day later using a traditional trap in the drawer with the deterrent unit still plugged in, I had the culprit. I wasn't impressed.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

NYSUPstater

With old coach, I'd use, drier sheets, moth cakes and as of recent added those smelly things you get at RV store to the arsenal. Plus would place 3-4 alum baking pans with charcoal to aid as moisture collector. 1st thing is to make sure you have no food in RV. Giving it a good last time cleaning inside is optional. We store ours in a building that owner has corn/soybeans in. Only 1x did we have visitors over the winter, but were gone upon p/u in spring. Been in same barn/building since 2005. Reason was, I failed to use the sheets/moth cakes or so. Also, like others have said, seal up any/all holes with steel wool or such. Come spring time, inside has a combo smell of moth cakes and the smelly (peppermint??) things. Open windows and let air out for a couple days.

Or can use method in link below.......
- - - Updated - - -

Cat with AK-47 - YouTube

alexb2000

Mint, mice don't like it

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I just had a funny experience the other day and then I read your post. I found my labradors digging in the garden, something they never do unless there is an animal around. Well they dig for a few minutes and out run a family of mice.

The mice were living in a bed of mint.;)

dave10a

I use moth balls in cat food tins place in strategic location around the trailer. Never had a rodent problem and the moth ball smell is temporary and air out quickly.