reinstall retainer ring on a 210 Sealand

Bobby A

I've been hitting my head against the wall trying to figure this out. I've finally got the nerve to rework my old Sealand 210 toilet with the ball kit and seal kit. It wasn't to bad a job until I got to the end to replace the plastic half clamp they call it. After the install, the 2 half clamps don't want to come together like they are suppose to. Does anyone know what I'm talking about and how to fix it? I am missing something and can't figure out what, there is about a 1 1/2 inch gap from the two half clamps coming together around the bowl and base, which makes it leak. Please help !! I'm getting tired of beating myself up !!

Thank you,
bobby A

wdk450

Be sure that the 1/2 clamp pieces are not upside down. The mating fingers at the end of the clamps should be on top (as I remember from recently working on this). I found that having a 1/4 inch socket on an electric drill bit made screwing the clamp band together real easy.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Be sure that the 1/2 clamp pieces are not upside down. The mating fingers at the end of the clamps should be on top (as I remember from recently working on this). I found that having a 1/4 inch socket on an electric drill bit made screwing the clamp band together real easy.

I found when I replaced the seals a few years ago that the screw clamp bolt has to be at the rear of the bowl. Otherwise it would not tighten the sections properly. And as Bill said, make sure the plastic clamp ring sections are aligned and seated correctly. Be sure the bowl isn't offset, too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bobby A

Thank you to the both of you who chimed in to my delimma, it was was to windy yesterday to work on this, I will make another attempt to tackle it this afternoon, Good thing I have a spare toilet or I would be s**t out of luck, no pun intended LOL !! I have one more question for the both of you, after reading the manual, it says something about a floor seal. I don't think when I replaced the toilet 3 or 4 years ago there was a floor seal on the original one from the factory. I never had any leaks, can you guys comment on this please ??
Also, I did call Dometic and they said to make sure the 1/2 clamp fingers should be at the front of the toilet, and there would be a small gap in the rear, but that is o.k., does this sound right guys ?? Thanks so much,
Bobby A

Last edited:

JohnDar

Yes on the positioning of the clamp ring sections. As for the floor seal, my 210 manuals do not show one. It does show caulking around the base after attaching it to the floor flange. With the way it's installed and HL's noted lack of attention to detail, it's not likely that it was done like that at the factory.

Bobby A

Yes on the positioning of the clamp ring sections. As for the floor seal, my 210 manuals do not show one. It does show caulking around the base after attaching it to the floor flange. With the way it's installed and HL's noted lack of attention to detail, it's not likely that it was done like that at the factory.

Thanks John,
So, your 210 did not have a rubber floor seal on top of the floor flange ?? I'm sure when I removed my 210 a few years back mine did not have one either and I thought that was odd, and wondered why I did not have any leaks around the base. I just figured that the opening of the toilet went directly over and into the holding tank. However, talking to the Dometic rep yesterday she said if there wasn't a floor seal I would have leaks on the floor, which I have never had, she even gave me a part number and I ordered one from Amazon just in case, my memory isn't like it use to be.
Sorry we haven't got together this year, we have been playing catch up from last year lack of being able to do things around our site, but we've got it done this season. Now just Dr. Appts. till we leave back to Fl. right after labor day.
Thanks for all your help, and the rear stabilizers are still working, thanks to you.

Bobby A

JohnDar

Maybe Dometic needs to look in the manuals that came with the toilet. No mention or drawing of a rubber floor seal in the parts illustration or list. Just a bead of caulk around the base after attaching it to the floor flange.

We're in Indian River to the end of the week. Be back up here on the 27th until around Sept. 17 or so. Dr. appts for us, too, along with a few FD shifts. Gotta keep my foot in the door a little longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wdk450

I am guessing that the floor seal is NOT considered part of the toilet by Dometic, but rather a needed installation accessory. This is just like the residential toilets where the wax seal does NOT come with the toilet, but is bought separately.

JohnDar

Slight correction. If you look at the instructions on Page 3 of the manual, they mention positioning the floor seal over the flange bolts. But don't show a picture of it. In the parts list I have, there is something identified as the Floor Flange Kit for the Model 210, P/N 385311267. Picture just looks like a ring, no bolt holes in it.

Could be it was installed and stuck to the bottom of the pedestal when you removed it.

https://manuals.heartlandowners.org/manuals/Plumbing/Toilet/Sealand/SeaLand_Toilet_SC_210.pdf

Bobby A

I am guessing that the floor seal is NOT considered part of the toilet by Dometic, but rather a needed installation accessory. This is just like the residential toilets where the wax seal does NOT come with the toilet, but is bought separately.

Well Dometic says I need one or the toilet will leak, but Heartland did not install one at the factory and I used the toilet for 4 years with no leaks. Not sure what to make of this ??

UPdate,
finally got the 1/2 clamps to seal, fingers in front as you said and retainer ring nut in rear and about a 1 inch gap that the 1/2 clamps don't come together, no leaks there anymore. Its all back together and only a very small leak from the new seals. Not sure if I was supposed to put vasoline around the new seals though. I may be able to live with a very small leak as it will drain into the holding tank. I'm done messing with it for the day. Any advise would be appreciated.
Blessings,
Bobby A