New Syracuse - Electrical gremlin

OSIN

Hi we took delivery of our syracuse about a week ago. (Our 3rd RV) During delivery I spent 2 days checking all the items that were supposed to be PDI'd...including testing every outlet to make sure we had correct wiring. We worked through the issues they said they checked, and thought I'd left with a 98.3% bug free rig. I knew of a few items where they had to order parts, (including a storage door they smashed) but the rig was still usable.

After settling in on our 300 Mile Shakedown run, we noticed the (2) outlets on the ends of the island were no loner working.

I checked the breakers, they seem good, reset the bathroom GFI, but still no luck.

I'm headed back for some warranty work soon, but wanted to see if anyone out here has the answer

Thanks

Paul

wdk450

RV production lines use insulation displacement connector outlets. They make an electrical connection by sliding an insulated wire down a metal connector V shape, piercing the plastic insulation, and making contact with the copper wire (like a Scotchlock connector). That is a possible cause of a bad electrical connection that will reveal itself with trip road vibrations. There are also interconnect boxes under the rig, and cable flex joints at the slides. A useful tool to have for both electrical disconnects and rig electrical safety (detects the "hot skin" condition) is a non-contact electrical tester. These are available at home improvement stores and detect the radio field from an energized conductor.

Here is example of an IDC connector:IDC outlet.jpg Here is a non-contact voltage tester: noncontact voltage tester.jpg

OSIN

Thanks for the tip, I'll check these out. I had no idea these were not an everyday residential outlet with screw connections.

Paul

RV production lines use insulation displacement connector outlets. They make an electrical connection by sliding an insulated wire down a metal connector V shape, piercing the plastic insulation, and making contact with the copper wire (like a Scotchlock connector). That is a possible cause of a bad electrical connection that will reveal itself with trip road vibrations. There are also interconnect boxes under the rig, and cable flex joints at the slides. A useful tool to have for both electrical disconnects and rig electrical safety (detects the "hot skin" condition) is a non-contact electrical tester. These are available at home improvement stores and detect the radio field from an energized conductor.

Here is example of an IDC connector:View attachment 53766 Here is a non-contact voltage tester: View attachment 53767

RoadJunkie

Paul, there a junction boxes beneath the slides and attached to the frame. I have found poor wire nut connections in these boxes.

wdk450

Thanks for the tip, I'll check these out. I had no idea these were not an everyday residential outlet with screw connections.

Paul

Paul:
I found the deficiencies with my outlets when I ran an electrical space heater with one of them (heavy electrical load). The pilot light on the heater flickered when plugged into 1 outlet but not at another. I made a project to replace all my outlets with screw type ones.