So what is everyone up to this winter?

jbeletti

Hi all and Happy New Year,

So what is everyone up to this winter? Are you traveling with your trailer? Are you staying at home? Going on a cruise? Air travel? Wintering somewhere warm?

For Nancy and I, no trailer travel. We're in the Knoxville, TN area this weekend looking at land. We had the great fortune this evening of having dinner with Glenn and April - "fireflipper" from this forum. Always nice to meet other forum members and Heartland owners.

We also had a chance to stop by RVs For Less and meet with Butch Burson. What a great Heartland dealer. He goes the extra mile in so many ways to make his customers happy.

Since we are not planning any winter camping, we're going on our first cruise this February. Just a short one. Hope we like it. Ended up using all my United miles for the cruise. Figured we better use them while they are still in business and redeemable.

So what is everyone up to?

Jim

Last edited:
K

Ken Washington

Hi Jim
You will have a blast on your first cruise. Where are you going and for how long? What cruise line and which ship will you be on? We have been on six cruises and start planing the next one as soon as we get off the ship! We are looking forward to spring and the start of a new camping season.

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
Thanks for asking.

We're just counting down the days before we leave for Florida with our Bighorn. It should get a pretty good test with four of us occupying it for three weeks as we tour pretty much the entire state. Then Saundra and I will stay 30 days in Lakeland, and then back to Michigan.

See you in June at the rally.

Tom of Ypsi

Hi Jim,
So far we are not doing anything until April, just planning, then the camping will start in ernest. Will be gone for a few day in mid April, mostly to dewinterize (is that a word) the rig then off to Ga for 2 1/2 weeks. From their gone again for 5 days or so in Mi then off to see everyone at the Rally.
I am trying to talk the DW (Judy) into going to Fl camping but no luck so far. We have a timeshare condo in Marathon, Fl but we are renting it out if anyone is interested and our 3 weeks is also up for sale. It did sustain some hurrican damage, completely lost the marina and a few trees and some roof work needs to be done but other than that not too bad.
Jim, you should have a great time on your cruise. We have been on three and loved them all. Go on a diet first because you will probably come back heavier but it is well worth it. Have fun.
Chuck on your way to Fl heading down US 23 in Mi look for me in Ypsilanti at the US 12 bridge. I will be the one crying and frantically waving looking for a ride if the DW does not want to go.:D
Hope to see everyone in June unless I happen to run into you on the road before.

Cheryl

We are staying at home and working. Have a couple of ideas for this spring - just weekenders. Our real vacation isn't until July. We wanted to go to the Pittsburgh RV show this weekend, but I got sick. Hopefully Nelson won't get the same virus so we can make it next weekend.
We did receive a fantastic surprise Friday morning. Our son graduated from the WV Police Academy as Valedictorian. He knew, but kept it a secret from us. He wanted to surprise us.:D

phranc

Congratulations Nelson and Cheryl.. Indeed an honor !!
Maybe next summer we go on a cruise. If you can call taking the canoe down the Susquehanna R., a cruise...........
We most time go to TheVillages at Turning Stone as a de-winterazation trip.
Thats in Apr and some times we get antzy and go somewhere else if the weather looks favorable. Not many campgrounds around here open up before apr 15........

jbeletti

Cheryl: Congratulations. What an honor. You must be very proud.

Everyone: Thanks for sharing what you are up to and what plans you have coming up.

For those who asked, here's what I know (Nancy planned it all - I just supplied the miles) about our cruise:

- When: Feb. 11-18
- Carrier: Norweigan Cruise Lines
- Ship: Norweigan Dream
- Intinerary Name: Texaribbean
- Ports: Cozumel, Belize, Honduras, Cancun and 2 more I think

I've attached an image of the route. I also just remembered that back in July, I created this web for the trip. It has a few more details on it and I will use that page to recap the trip when we get back (pictures etc.).

Jim

Attachments

• tx06_7d.gif
    tx06_7d.gif
    5 KB · Views: 23

arisce

cdbMidland said:
Thanks for asking.

We're just counting down the days before we leave for Florida with our Bighorn. It should get a pretty good test with four of us occupying it for three weeks as we tour pretty much the entire state. Then Saundra and I will stay 30 days in Lakeland, and then back to Michigan.

See you in June at the rally.

We are also going to tour Florida in the spring for about 30 days in our Bighorn 3600 RL. We can't wait. Wishing every one a happy new year and safe travelling. We will see you all at the rally in June.

Cheryl

A whole week cruise - how nice! We went on a Disney Cruise a couple of summers ago, but it was only 3 days. I wish it had been longer. I worried about getting seasick (because I suffer from bad motion sickness just riding on a bus), but I was fine. Make sure to book any "land" activities early and take loose fitting clothes. The food is never ending. One thing we didn't know about, pack a bathing suit in a carry-on. It takes a while for your luggage to get to your room.

JIMnMICK

Fulltimming Workampers
Hi all cdbmidland when will you be in Lakeland because we are staying in Plant city the town right next to lakeland.We will also be working at the Tampa RV Show in the HARTLAND display. We would like to meet some other BigHorn and Land mark owners.

cdbMidland

We arrive in Lakeland on February 18 and leave on March 20 - staying at Tiki Village.

Would like to meet you folks.

When is the Tampa show?

jbeletti

Cheryl,

Hope we're like you and don't get motion sickness. that would be a week long drag. We have all our excursions booked but yeah, they go fast as your ship is not the only one hitting this land activities. Good tip about the luggage - thank you.

Jim

Cheryl

I think you'll be fine. If anyone were to get it, it would have been me. We even had a storm one night and I was fine. You really couldn't feel the up and down movement of the ship. Even when up on deck looking at the water. Someday, I hope to take another one - Alaska would be fantastic.

Brian & Tam

42 Years of Married Bliss
Jim...

Here is another tip for you.

When you disembark the ship, all the luggage will be assembled in one large (huge) room. It would be best to tie something to the luggage handle to help you identify it. We have used red bandanas tied to the handles.

Have fun...

JIMnMICK

Fulltimming Workampers
Cdbmidland the tampa rv show is Jan.18-22 this is one BIG show ,over 1200 rvs. Jim it sounds like the cruise will be blast hope ya have great time. Keep us posted.

BluegrassMan

Hi Gang:

As for me and my DW. Just working, BUT I'm a short timer now. I should be outta there by Jan. I just wish we could head out on the road immediately. She will still work for a while.

sailorand

Past British Columbia Chapter Leader
Here is something to think about for next July. The Ralley. It used to be called The Great Nowth American RV Rally. It will be held in Redmond Oregon, July 19-22, 2007 http://www.therally.com/ We went to the last one there and it was a blast %@00+ rigs and 500 daelers, 1000 rigs to look at and entertainment too.
Maybe a Heartland get together for the west coast??

J

Jim_1899

Jim,
The cruise sounds nice. I am planning on camping a lot in the winter and go bow hunting with my son at Mark Twain Lake, then there is trout fishing, and Christmas in the RV sounds good too.

jbeletti

sailorand,

At "The Rally", did some manufacturers have their own rally within a rally? Are you able to camp in groups if you wanted 25-50 spots? I hear you are pretty jammed pack - is that true? Thanks for any insight. I'd like to attend one sometime. But we are working full-timers :) (not RVing full-timers) so getting to one that far away is tough.

Jim_1899,

The cruise was this past Feb. It was great - we booked another one - Jan. of 2007 (Hawaii).

As for the rest of winter 2006/2007, no winter camping for us in the midwest, but, the cruise, maybe a trip to FL (by plane) for a log home mfr. tour and a trip to MN to see my kids and take them skiing (locally). Web site work, rally coordination. Been over a year now, guess I should finish unpacking those last few boxes :eek: Maybe finish that partition wall around the furnace area in the basement.

Jim

cdbMidland

Since this topic has been resurrected, we are headed for Lakeland FL sometime in January and coming back at the end of March. We will be staying at Tiki Village.

Hope Jimmy and Mickey are still in the area. We enjoyed getting together with them last winter.