SOLVED: Generator

TheLazyC

Finally got my out of stock Onan 5.5 EFI generator installed. I did not get any paperwork, instructions, etc.

First question is, does it have an automatic transfer switch?

Second, our only battery (that I know of) was working before the install, now it is completely dead, could not lower or raise electric jack, stabilizers, no interior lights, etc. Stayed plugged up to shore power for an entire weekend and did not charge. What could be wrong with it?

jbeletti

Re: Generator

...our only battery (that I know of) was working before the install, now it is completely dead, could not lower or raise electric jack, stabilizers, no interior lights, etc. Stayed plugged up to shore power for an entire weekend and did not charge. What could be wrong with it?

Ken,

Check to see if one of the DC mini-breakers has a manual reset button on the side of it that has tripped. When this breaker is tripped, power from the converter does not make it to the battery to charge it.

jbeletti

Finally got my out of stock Onan 5.5 EFI generator installed. I did not get any paperwork, instructions, etc. First question is, does it have an automatic transfer switch?...

When the coach is ordered from the factory with the generator, yes, they will come with a transfer switch. I don't know the background on your unit but it sounds like the dealer installed the generator??

Have you tried the generator while unplugged from shore power? If you have and if it provided AC power to your coach, then yes, the transfer switch is installed.

danemayer

If you want to be certain a transfer switch has been installed, unplug the shore power cord from the campground pedestal. Place it safely so it isn't in contact with any conductors or wet surfaces. Start the generator and take a meter reading on the plugs of the shore power cord. If you get a power reading, there is no transfer switch and you need to take it back to the installer to get one installed because that's an unsafe configuration.

TheLazyC

If you want to be certain a transfer switch has been installed, unplug the shore power cord from the campground pedestal. Place it safely so it isn't in contact with any conductors or wet surfaces. Start the generator and take a meter reading on the plugs of the shore power cord. If you get a power reading, there is no transfer switch and you need to take it back to the installer to get one installed because that's an unsafe configuration.

I plan to contact dealer tomorrow, but I was scared to try it without any instructions. I did crank it up after I could not use jack because I had already disconnected all the utilities. I was able to start the generator, which i thought was strange since the battery was completely dead.

The unit was prewired from the factory of course, but have no idea what they installed. If I was Heartland, I would really think twice about who I let represent and resell their products. Sliding patio door is broke on delivery and they said that is the way "all" of the sliding patio doors come from the factory, that is "normal", I asked why does the second door work perfectly that goes out on the side patio? No answer?

I will call tomorrow and see if the installer even knows what he installed, I can use that time to tell him about all the tools he left on top of my battery.

danemayer

I was able to start the generator, which i thought was strange since the battery was completely dead.
It normally takes quite a bit of juice from the battery to start the generator. Any chance you were connected to the truck?

TheLazyC

It normally takes quite a bit of juice from the battery to start the generator. Any chance you were connected to the truck?

No, truck was not connected. My son was in the process of backing it up to hook up and I went to raise tongue but no power, checked the light on the jack and interior lights, etc. I cranked the generator and jacked worked.

After hooking up with generator off, the jack did work while connected to truck, when we got home, still no lights or jack. Had to leave power plug connected to truck until finish.

danemayer

No, truck was not connected. My son was in the process of backing it up to hook up and I went to raise tongue but no power, checked the light on the jack and interior lights, etc. I cranked the generator and jacked worked.

After hooking up with generator off, the jack did work while connected to truck, when we got home, still no lights or jack. Had to leave power plug connected to truck until finish.

You might check the battery with a voltmeter. I'm thinking it must not be dead. Rather, you have some other 12V problem preventing power from the battery getting to the interior lights and other devices.

Take a look at our 12V Block Diagram and Diagnostic Guide.

TheLazyC

You might check the battery with a voltmeter. I'm thinking it must not be dead. Rather, you have some other 12V problem preventing power from the battery getting to the interior lights and other devices.

Thanks, I will go check it. I left it in my hangar with a charger connected on 2amp charge, so that might not help but a lot of good information in the links. I will run back out here tomorrow and check breakers.

TheLazyC

I went out and took a look to see if I could find the "manual" circuit breaker on our unit. I have not idea where it is. I looked behind the panel and we have standard circuit breakers and car fuses. I have a small block that is mounted on the trailer tongue near the battery were the only lead comes out and goes to a small block, then on the other side another lead comes off and goes to a junction box, however there is no reset button on any side of it.

Where else could it be?

danemayer

I went out and took a look to see if I could find the "manual" circuit breaker on our unit. I have not idea where it is. I looked behind the panel and we have standard circuit breakers and car fuses. I have a small block that is mounted on the trailer tongue near the battery were the only lead comes out and goes to a small block, then on the other side another lead comes off and goes to a junction box, however there is no reset button on any side of it.

Where else could it be?
It's near the battery. If that "block" is covered by a rubber boot, it's actually a group of mini-circuit breakers all jammed together.

Attachments

• circuit breaker reset.jpg
    circuit breaker reset.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 27

TheLazyC

It's near the battery. If that "block" is covered by a rubber boot, it's actually a group of mini-circuit breakers all jammed together.

Still need some help....

I found ONE terminal that looks like your photo but it does not have a reset button. I also checked each side of the terminal and both show 12v.

We still do not have any power coming from the battery, cannot use any lights, jack or stabilizer unless connected tot he truck or shore power.

No breakers appear tripped and no fuses appear to be blown.

Only thing that has changed is dealer installed generator to prewired system.

I tried calling Heartland today but they close at 3pm.

Anymore suggestions?
IMG_1591.JPG.jpg

danemayer

Still need some help....

We still do not have any power coming from the battery, cannot use any lights, jack or stabilizer unless connected tot he truck or shore power.

Anymore suggestions?
If when on shore power, 12V is getting from the Converter to the jacks and stabilizers. the manual reset breaker is not tripped. Power should be getting to the battery.

Did the dealer install a battery cutoff switch?

Use an ohm meter to check continuity between the negative battery cable (disconnected from the battery) and frame ground on the trailer.

Take the battery out and get it tested at an auto parts store or auto service center.

TheLazyC

If when on shore power, 12V is getting from the Converter to the jacks and stabilizers. the manual reset breaker is not tripped. Power should be getting to the battery.

Did the dealer install a battery cutoff switch?

Use an ohm meter to check continuity between the negative battery cable (disconnected from the battery) and frame ground on the trailer.

Take the battery out and get it tested at an auto parts store or auto service center.

There is a battery cut off switch in the storage box with a "key" hanging from it, it is set to off, not sure if it is new or came with the camper. I did not know how to read it Off meaning the battery is off OR off meaning the switch is not activated. I took it that if it was set to ON, it meant the battery disconnect was turning the battery off. I think there is alway a battery disconnect on the switch panel.

Thanks, I will try each of those suggestions.

Where should the battery disconnect be turned to OFF or ON?

danemayer

I'd start by trying the battery cutoff in the other position to see if the battery gets charged and if it will power the interior lights and other things.

porthole

Retired

Battery switches are either off or on, or in some cases, off-1-all-2.

If you have a rotating knob battery switch, when it is "off" the circuit is disconnected or open.

So if you had a generator installed it is very likely the installer turned your battery off and forgot to turn it back on.

TheLazyC

Battery switches are either off or on, or in some cases, off-1-all-2.

If you have a rotating knob battery switch, when it is "off" the circuit is disconnected or open.

So if you had a generator installed it is very likely the installer turned your battery off and forgot to turn it back on.

That makes good since. I was just scared I would screw something up. I will turn it on when we disconnect tomorrow and see if that was the problem all along.

Thanks

dgano1147

Question. We have a 5500 onan generator that we have less than 5 hrs. on and want to sell it. Anybody know of good site to sale it on?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

dgano1147

I plan to contact dealer tomorrow, but I was scared to try it without any instructions. I did crank it up after I could not use jack because I had already disconnected all the utilities. I was able to start the generator, which i thought was strange since the battery was completely dead.

The unit was prewired from the factory of course, but have no idea what they installed. If I was Heartland, I would really think twice about who I let represent and resell their products. Sliding patio door is broke on delivery and they said that is the way "all" of the sliding patio doors come from the factory, that is "normal", I asked why does the second door work perfectly that goes out on the side patio? No answer?

I will call tomorrow and see if the installer even knows what he installed, I can use that time to tell him about all the tools he left on top of my battery.
Our 2015 edge 357's sliding door worked perfectly. Not all sliding doors come that way. That would be crazy.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

TheLazyC

Update: Mystery solved. Thanks for all who pointed me in the right direction. I normally consider myself pretty smart but my last RV has me all worked up about any issues.

Turned out that the battery shut off was turned to off. I only saw the switch when searching for the manual circuit breakers, which I never found. But while looking in my only outside compartment, and sticking my head inside, I found the battery disconnect above my head and on the right. You cannot see it from the outside, have to stick your head in the compartment and look up.

After disconnecting from shore power and before connecting to truck, I tried the jack and all over things 12v and we had power.

Now I just need to to my patio sliding doors to actually roll on the rollers and move smoothly and I will be a complete happy camper ( and get my coax cable wired correctly)

camping@AnvilCampground.jpg