hot water smell

davebennington

I have never had this problem in the past with any of my other units. There is a bad smell from the hot water. I have flushed the hot water heater several times but still get the offending odor. Does anyone else have this problem? How did you cure it? I have thought about dumping baking soda mixture in the hot water heater to see if that will work.

Dave

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
Dave found 3 recipes on the net for the bad smell...usually caused by bacteria buildup. I have never done this but here they are....Kenny

1:Fill tank with 2 parts vinegar to 1 part water...let stand an drain.
2:Fill tank with 5-6 oz. bleach per 10 gallon of water...let stand an drain
3:fill tank with 1 /2 cup baking soda per 1 gallon of water....let stand an drain.

davebennington

Mrcomer - The rod was changed at the beginning of the season and when I pulled it to drain the tank it still looked good.

Katkens - How do you get the solution in the hot water tank? I was thinking about taking out the high pressure valve and dumping it in that way.

Dave

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
Mrcomer - The rod was changed at the beginning of the season and when I pulled it to drain the tank it still looked good.

Katkens - How do you get the solution in the hot water tank? I was thinking about taking out the high pressure valve and dumping it in that way.

Dave
I believe removing the pressure relief valve would be the easiest way. I guess you could also shut the valves off at the water heater exit line and fresh water tank pickup and use the pump winterizing tube to fill the tank with solution. Then you could open the fresh water tank valve to to finish filling the heater tank.....Kenny

fljlcw

I was unable to get the relief valve out on our 06 3400rl so I took the anode out and put in A 3 inch nipple than attached A 45 degree coupler to that and finally screwed in A 12 inch nipple you can put A small funnel in there and I pour in 2 or 3 gallons of straight vinegar and let soak for 30 min. or so than slowly turn the pipe down and drain vinegar back into jugs remove pipe and turn your water back on and flush out tank than replace anode

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
I was unable to get the relief valve out on our 06 3400rl so I took the anode out and put in A 3 inch nipple than attached A 45 degree coupler to that and finally screwed in A 12 inch nipple you can put A small funnel in there and I pour in 2 or 3 gallons of straight vinegar and let soak for 30 min. or so than slowly turn the pipe down and drain vinegar back into jugs remove pipe and turn your water back on and flush out tank than replace anode

That's a neat solution. Thanks for sharing.

davebennington

fljlcw

WOW,

Great idea I think I will try that today when I start the hot water heater cleaning project. I really did not want to try to get the relief valve out.

Thanks

Dave