Build your own budget backup camera system?

Nlambert

Has anyone done this?

Our 2013 Prowler 31 PRET didn't come with a backup camera or a provision for one. I've researched the Furrion and Rear View Safety versions and while they seem to be good options, they aren't budget friendly. My idea was to mount a similar camera to the back and pull power from the running light. I planned to add a wifi booster in the bedroom that is wired to the camera and use an app to view the camera on a spare Samsung tablet that I have. This would ensure that distance won't be an issue for a wireless system. Has anyone done something similar? I would be into the project for less than $75. My concern is whether or not it would work. I would hate to attempt this and end up spending the money on the Furrion system anyhow.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Has anyone done this?

Our 2013 Prowler 31 PRET didn't come with a backup camera or a provision for one. I've researched the Furrion and Rear View Safety versions and while they seem to be good options, they aren't budget friendly. My idea was to mount a similar camera to the back and pull power from the running light. I planned to add a wifi booster in the bedroom that is wired to the camera and use an app to view the camera on a spare Samsung tablet that I have. This would ensure that distance won't be an issue for a wireless system. Has anyone done something similar? I would be into the project for less than $75. My concern is whether or not it would work. I would hate to attempt this and end up spending the money on the Furrion system anyhow.

We have the Furrion and love it. The problem with your concept would be speed. How will the signal get from the camera to the tablet? Is there any delay? If so, I wouldn't trust it.

With the Furrion high speed camera, there's very little delay if any (like a few milliseconds). You can actually trust what you see behind you to help facilitate lane changes as you drive, just like a rear view mirror. It's really worth it, in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nlambert

Good point. I watched a couple of Youtube videos where someone did something similar using this method, but one of the mini cameras for a car. The delay appeared non-existent on a 24' run of cable to the Wi-Fi transmitter. The iPad was about 15' at most from the transmitter. How that factors into over 40' I honestly have no idea. I did own the Furrion backup model some time ago and it would lose signal as soon as we got over 30mph. It did however lack the antennas.

My main goal is to save some money in the process as we can't run out and get a $300+ camera system with our kitchen remodel going so I had hoped to find an economical solution in the meantime.