Storage and the HAB

windquest

As we continue our search for our new home we have a lot of questions, and while I think they should go here, maybe they should be posted in the Landmark forum......I trust a moderator will help us there.
The first question is the concern of the DW. Overall storage looks less than SOB's in the running, but it is hard to tell. Hopefully Landmark owners who looked at other units will have some input here. (we live out of the country and for a while will not be able to see anything ourselves). We were taken back to find out that there is NO storage under the bed.....is that right?
And finally, the HAB with the blow up mattress, doesn't look as good as some other HAB's BUT we are seeing other brands going to this type unit.....How do they really compare?
We are sure that most of you considered other brands, we would love to hear your stories of why you bought your Heartland.
Henry and Bev

jbeletti

Hi Henry and Bev,

Perfect forum to post this in :)

My take...

Storage in a Landmark:

I feel there is a lot of storage. If you plan to full-time in a Landmark, your opinion may be different. Interior storage also depends on the floor plan selected.

The exterior storage, especially if you do not get the Gen or Gen Prep in huge. I have seen bigger in a Teton Homes 5er but can't recall others larger.

Hide-Away-Bed (took me a but to decode HAB):
I have not slept on ours but most posts I have read on this forum and others for this bed as used in Heartlands and other brands is that the bed is more comfortable than a spring type frame in typical sofa beds. Who likes that bar! My daughter slept on the mattress a couple weekends ago and commented that the chamber seams bothered her so we put our comforter on top of the mattress, then the sheet. Worked for her.

Best of luck to you in your research and ultimately your decision.

Jim

pmmjarrett

Not just tired..... RETIRED!!!
Basement on the Landmark, Bighorn and Big Country is huge. Heck you could put an air mattress in there and get a good nights sleep.

Air mattress is much better than the old hide a bed sofa, I hate those things and can't sleep on them. I use an air mattress in my truck in place of the rear seat and sleep very well on it. I also use a comforter on top of the mattress and sleep on top of it.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I can't give you any insight on the Landmark storage capabilities but our 3400RL Bighorn has all we need. We were lucky to get the 2007 year model before the change to the under bed storage. There is on owner that modified his minimal under bed area to make some room for storage. I'll have to search for the thread though. I think Heartland has the largest closet area out there but I haven't shopped in 2 years. The key is to be organized and Going from a 3 BR house and 3-1/2 car garage for me was quite a chore. We put our HAB into storage and use a love seat recliner. If we have the grandkids over, they sleep on a queen air bed. Any guests have the same option. We bought our rig for the 2 of us. If we filled up all of our storage bays, cabinets and drawers we would be overweight. The trailer that is. Here is a link to the modification for more under bed storage. //heartlandowners.org/showthread.php?t=4527 within this thread there is a link to a more specific explanation of how it was done. The mod was done by pickuphunt.

Last edited:

davebennington

We have an older 2006 Landmark/Golden Gate and the storage area is really big. I think the storage area has grown even bigger in the newer units. That said my wife noted just this past weekend that in the living area of the coach there was not enough storage that is low, for storing heavy items (she is from the old school when you stored things under the dinette bench seats) she may have a point as she is in charge of the inside area. I on the other hand do not care for the dinette with bench seat setup.

Dave

jbeletti

Henry and Bev,

Ray's reply reminded me of something I forgot to mention to you. Due to the bedroom slide-out mechanism configuration in the Pinehurst, I have 5' x 5' x 1' deep storage are under my bed. The bed platform has gas struts on it to aid opening and keep it held open.

Jim

windquest

Thanks Ray and Jim for the info. We are only considering the Augusta due to floorplan. So....the slide stuff is under the bed. I checked out the other threads and now my question is....is there ANY room under the bed for some creative storage, and if so, how much? The more I read, the better the Augusta looks......hoping to see our first one in Tampa.....one will be there, right Jim?
Henry and Bev

Ray Robinson

Landmark and Bighorn Sales
Hi again Henry & Bev!

You're right, the slide mechanism takes up most of the space under the bed on the Augusta model. (I can explain in more detail, WHY, when I email you again, if you want me to... There's a very good engineering reason why this is the case on the Augusta!

There is about 2" there that could be used for folded sheets, blankets, etc.. I know you are sailboat owners, so you're already probably VERY proficient when it comes to maximizing use of storage areas! (by the way, I'm looking very hard at a C & C 27!) :)

On the Hide a Bed w/ Air Matress: The only other variations of HAB's I've seen in recent years are the conventional type you have to fold out. They have a 3" foam "mattress" with a nice steel support bar that hits your guests right about the lower back area! These new inflatables are actually quite comfortable - you just won't know how much until you have the rep demo one for you at Tampa - yes we will be there! Try one out and I think you'll agree.

Don't hesitate to continue your seperate emails to me as you have more questions!

Ray

windquest

Thanks Ray,
Yes the more I can learn the better. Please PM me with the info from my last email regarding your opinions. I never considered the fact that there was more storage than weight available, which brings me to a new question and is, are the weights accurate? Your brochure posts some impressive numbers for what you can carry but I am hearing that you can't trust anyone's numbers.....what's the story here on the Augusta and the BH3670?
HENRY

beardedone

Beardedone
We have an 09 Augusta which we picked up two months ago. I tow it with a 08 Dodge 3500 dually (with air bags). It tows like a dream. We have lots of storage and our biggest problem is remembering where we put things. The HAB is not popular with my two adult kids or grand daughter. They have commented on the seams and a "funny" feeling on it. The last night my daughter stayed with us she made a bed on the floor. So we have some extra "egg crate" foam covers which we are taking with us next time to try. Weight wise we put in thermal pane windows and a washer/dryer among other things so we piled up the weight fast but we still have a little room (but I'm not telling DW)

jbeletti

Henry and Bev,

The factory confirmed with me that "YES", you will be able to see an Augusta at the Tampa show. Have fun!

Jim