Front Cargo - Locked out

IP076

So, I store my mountain bike in the front bin where the batteries are and where the generator would go if installed. It's a tight fit, but with the bike broken down it works pretty well. After the last drive, I think the bike shifted inside and now something appears to be blocking the lock. I can't turn the key to unlock the bin.

Is that area accessible by removing the forward panel in the basement at all? I'm not sure how that works with fire barriers. Any other ideas? I was looking at taking the hinge off, but I don't think that's possible either.

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by a moderator:

CoveredWagon

So, I store my mountain bike in the front bin where the batteries are and where the generator would go if installed. It's a tight fit, but with the bike broken down it works pretty well. After the last drive, I think the bike shifted inside and now something appears to be blocking the lock. I can't turn the key to unlock the bin.

Is that area accessible by removing the forward panel in the basement at all? I'm not sure how that works with fire barriers. Any other ideas? I was looking at taking the hinge off, but I don't think that's possible either.

Thanks for your help!

i have to lean into the hatch (put a little ***** into it) right by the lock to get mine to be able to turn the key. Have to do it to lock or unlock, every time. Works every time. I thought I'd break the key off at first.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
If above doesn't work, drill out the lock's core, then replace it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IP076

Thanks guys, leaning into it is the norm, this is past that.

I'm going to wait a day or two, I'll be back on the road. Maybe I can get it to shift around a bit before I go the nuclear route and drill it out. ;)

Mrsfish

Thanks guys, leaning into it is the norm, this is past that.

I'm going to wait a day or two, I'll be back on the road. Maybe I can get it to shift around a bit before I go the nuclear route and drill it out. ;)

This doesnt help your situation, but might make the outcome better. Take advantage of the drilled out lock and replace those common keyed locks with baggage slam locks. One of the better upgrades we have done

Thenomads

IPO76,

Thanks for asking this question, I store my lawn chairs in the front compartment.

On our outing this weekend I discovered the lock would not turn, I leaned, pushed, prodded and even threw it in reverse and hit the brakes with no success.

You would think that when I previously found scratches on the lawn chair from the latch that I would have realized their might be the potential for a problem.

Does anyone have a recommendation on a drill bit size?

IP076

This doesnt help your situation, but might make the outcome better. Take advantage of the drilled out lock and replace those common keyed locks with baggage slam locks. One of the better upgrades we have done

You mean replace the front (below the overhang/kingpin) latch with a latch similar to the ones that access the other compartments, like the pass through basement?

That would be a decent amount of cutting.

- - - Updated - - -

IPO76,

Thanks for asking this question, I store my lawn chairs in the front compartment.

On our outing this weekend I discovered the lock would not turn, I leaned, pushed, prodded and even threw it in reverse and hit the brakes with no success.

You would think that when I previously found scratches on the lawn chair from the latch that I would have realized their might be the potential for a problem.

Does anyone have a recommendation on a drill bit size?

I asked this same question on another forum, they said start with 1/4". If you get lucky, that might be all it takes.

Mrsfish

You mean replace the front (below the overhang/kingpin) latch with a latch similar to the ones that access the other compartments, like the pass through basement?

Yes, that's what I'm saying. We had the 2 baggage slam locks added and removed and plugged the center lock. We had them done at the rv dealer and have been very happy.
- - - Updated - - -

IP076

Yes, that's what I'm saying. We had the 2 baggage slam locks added and removed and plugged the center lock. We had them done at the rv dealer and have been very happy.
- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the clarification. Any issues with them getting mucked up with road grime from tire spray perhaps? It's a decent idea for sure.

Mrsfish

Thanks for the clarification. Any issues with them getting mucked up with road grime from tire spray perhaps? It's a decent idea for sure.

have had zero issues. Really like that they are a non common keyed lock, unlike the pass through locks. Some people like the rv electronic locks a lot - me, I'm afraid of the electronic lock not working (bad circuit board, batteries, etc) just when I want to get in. Manual baby!!

LBR

have had zero issues. Really like that they are a non common keyed lock, unlike the pass through locks. Some people like the rv electronic locks a lot - me, I'm afraid of the electronic lock not working (bad circuit board, batteries, etc) just when I want to get in. Manual baby!!
The electronic locks operate either by a fob or keypad. They also have keys for manually locking/unlocking them also, so no need to fret over a bad circuit board or batteries.

olcoon

Drilling out the lock may or may not work. What I'm thinking is that if you drill it out, you may have the same situation that you started with, unless the lock mechanism falls apart on the inside. If your's is like mine which most of them are (HERE is what mine looks like), for the lock to work it's got to turn the tab on the inside. Sounds like you've got something jammed against the tab not allowing it to move. Driving down the road may jar it loose, but then again it may just jam it in tighter. You might possibly be able to access the front basement from the main one, you'd just have to investigate to see if it's possible.

One thing that I've noticed on rigs that you can put a generator in the front compartment, is that there are tabs on the floor that looks like they can be removed fairly easily with a saw, or whatever. Looked like they are just held in place by small tabs of metal and are circular. Possibly you might be able to remove one or two, and get your hand in there and move the bike around while someone turns the key in the lock. You might have to pull down the chloroplast in the front, I don't know. If you do remove a tab and are able to get in there, you could probably take a small piece of metal, and screw/bolt it down to cover the hole. Possibly even screwing it on from the underneath so if it happens again, it'd be easier to remove it. But doing that would probably leave the sharp ends exposed on the floor of the compartment.

rhodies1

I would drill it out,the tab is held on by a small bolt,once you drill straight thru the lock ,the tab will fall off allowing you to open the door. Have seen this done before.