Urgent potential safety issue

BobbyandGenee

We are prepping for our trip to Lassen tonight. My wife looks over at the microwave and see's a crack in the trim. The entire microwave had come loose in the enclosure! Come to find out there is a 1" drop under the microwave and it's hanging free. I did an emergency plywood fill of 1" to make it so the microwave now has a level and stable platform. I will contact my dealer for replacement trim. But had that come out in transit the damage would have been not only to the microwave, but anything it hit on the way down! Not to mention if someone unknowingly didn't realize the microwave had shifted and it fell out when the door was opened. I advise everyone to check their units.
374c9af45b2efa678431ec742ee9ec48.jpg
5e3b7cef10c791701a7a2860a9eab580.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BobbyandGenee

The trim is screwed to the microwave.....the trim holds the microwave in the cavity.

BobbyandGenee

After my discussion with the dealer yesterday, I was surprised to find out this problem is not as rare as you would think! They said they get a couple of these a year, usually after the unit has flown out in transit!

The main issue is the flimsy metal is all that holds the unit in. After this trip, I am going to install a small block inside the cavity in front of the microwave feet. This will keep the unit from sliding out. If I get real technical, I could install a small block on the rear also, so the unit can't move at all!

Furious10

Ours hadn't cracked but I removed it to check it out. Yep, just sort of floating in the cavity. We had some sort of metal piece with foam on it in there but the microwave did not rest on it. I'm sure they were trying to leave enough room for ventilation under the unit, but that can be achieved and still be stable. Cut some plywood and reinforced it. One of the feet was broken so I glued that back and everything sits much better and more stable. Thanks for the heads-up.

Greggshere

I'm going to have to check mine. My USB charge ports by the bed quit working out of the blue. Does anyone know what feeds those?

BobbyandGenee

I am curious about that also. The new outlets have USB ports built in. Maybe they are tied to the back of the outlets somehow?

Greggshere

I didn't get around to pulling the stainless microwave bezel today but I did look in there with a flashlight and I saw the metal and foam. Obviously I will need to pull it and do the reenforcement you did. Sounds like a next weekend project. I also still need to figure out that USB by the bed. We used it quite a bit and now it's dead. Anyone have a complete wiring schematic for the Terry?

danemayer

I also still need to figure out that USB by the bed. We used it quite a bit and now it's dead.

Most likely the USB is a function of the outlet itself, not the wiring going to the outlet. You should call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN # ready. Ask them to send you a replacement outlet with USB ports like the one you have.

Greggshere

Most likely the USB is a function of the outlet itself, not the wiring going to the outlet. You should call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN # ready. Ask them to send you a replacement outlet with USB ports like the one you have.

Thank you danemayer, I will do exactly that. The USB in mine is a separate outlet with just two or three USB ports in it, no 110 style outlet, so it is somewhat unique.

- - - Updated - - -

I install these in homes:
TOPGREENER TU2154A 4A High Speed USB Charger Receptacle 15A Tamper-Resistant Outlet w 2 Wall Plates, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0128SSKSA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_xBKMzb2AP0EGK

Thanks Bobby, mine does not have the 110 outlets on it, it is smaller and only with USB ports. I think I'll get a couple of this for my house though. ;)

Furious10

I install these in homes:
TOPGREENER TU2154A 4A High Speed USB Charger Receptacle 15A Tamper-Resistant Outlet w 2 Wall Plates, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0128SSKSA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_xBKMzb2AP0EGK
It would think it would work the same in an Rv. What I have not tested yet is if the USB works on just battery. Unfortunately my rig is in the shop, so I can test that theory.

I've done the same in my house with the ones in Lowe's and I put them in the 1967 Shasta we built. Work great.
I, too, have the separate USB outlet, not the integrated USB/power combined. Mine went dead and I pulled it to look. It started working...JFM, I guess. LOL. :rolleyes:
As a side note: the power recliner has 4 USBs built in, so we have plenty even if the BR one quits again. There are two up front in the storage area under the TV (right side).

Greggshere

As a side note: the power recliner has 4 USBs built in, so we have plenty even if the BR one quits again. There are two up front in the storage area under the TV (right side).

I'll have to take a look at my system in that storage area, if there are some there that will help. Since you moving it helped, maybe it is just a loose connection.

Greggshere

After my discussion with the dealer yesterday, I was surprised to find out this problem is not as rare as you would think! They said they get a couple of these a year, usually after the unit has flown out in transit!

The main issue is the flimsy metal is all that holds the unit in. After this trip, I am going to install a small block inside the cavity in front of the microwave feet. This will keep the unit from sliding out. If I get real technical, I could install a small block on the rear also, so the unit can't move at all!

I took mine out yesterday and apparently Heartland made a change. Mine is sitting on a plywood base and can barely slide out. I did find the right front foot missing though, so when I took the bezel screws out it tipped down on the right front. I looked for something I could use as a foot without running to the store and wound up using a hollow wall anchor and a nut that was the same thickness as the other foot. Once I had it pushed back in the cavity I had to drill new holes for all but the top left bezel screw. It's in there solid now.
IMG_0916.jpgIMG_0917.jpgIMG_0918.jpgIMG_0922.jpgIMG_0924.jpgIMG_0926.jpg

BobbyandGenee

Good fix! I truely am confused as to which units came off the line first and then so on! Unfortunately as I mentioned my contact with Heartland regarding this only led to me gaining knowledge that 266 were made. They don't have a tracker on the vin or serial numbers to tell which came off the line in what order. So maybe after we all compare notes and see what was fixed as they went, we will some day be able to create a timeline!

Greggshere

Good fix! I truely am confused as to which units came off the line first and then so on! Unfortunately as I mentioned my contact with Heartland regarding this only led to me gaining knowledge that 266 were made. They don't have a tracker on the vin or serial numbers to tell which came off the line in what order. So maybe after we all compare notes and see what was fixed as they went, we will some day be able to create a timeline.

My VIN includes Feb2212 and ends in 51124, so To me it seems it was made on Feb 22, but I don't know what year, I assume 2016 or 2017?

Furious10

Good fix! I truely am confused as to which units came off the line first and then so on! Unfortunately as I mentioned my contact with Heartland regarding this only led to me gaining knowledge that 266 were made. They don't have a tracker on the vin or serial numbers to tell which came off the line in what order. So maybe after we all compare notes and see what was fixed as they went, we will some day be able to create a timeline!

I'd like to know this, also.

- - - Updated - - -

I took mine out yesterday and apparently Heartland made a change. Mine is sitting on a plywood base and can barely slide out. I did find the right front foot missing though, so when I took the bezel screws out it tipped down on the right front. I looked for something I could use as a foot without running to the store and wound up using a hollow wall anchor and a nut that was the same thickness as the other foot. Once I had it pushed back in the cavity I had to drill new holes for all but the top left bezel screw. It's in there solid now.

Good job. Looks like we all got this one fixed.