5th wheel length

Bob Vaughn

How does Heartland measure the length of their rv's.......Is it from the back edge of the bumper to the front of the cap or to the king pin or the front edge of the hitch???

dlw930

Not sure what they do but my 41' Landmark is actually 43'9" nose to ladder

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

My 40' Landmark is 41' 8" nose to ladder. Kingpin to ladder is "close" to 40'. I don't know what reference points Heartland uses, either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MCTalley

I was told by a Heartland representative one time that the measurement is from the center of the pin on a standard pinbox to the rearmost part of the trailer minus the ladder (i.e. the back cap or bumper). Can't remember who told me that fact, though.

Gaffer

I was told by a Heartland representative one time that the measurement is from the center of the pin on a standard pinbox to the rearmost part of the trailer minus the ladder (i.e. the back cap or bumper). Can't remember who told me that fact, though.

I believe this is correct.

CoveredWagon

Exactly what we were told. Center of king pin

MCTalley

That's for fifth wheels, of course. For pull-behinds, the length is from the center of the ball to the back of the trailer. If you think about it, both lengths represent the trailing part of the unit from the point of connection to the tow vehicle. At least for the purposes of "will my rig fit this site", bumper pulls have the advantage of being closer to actual length.

Also, someone mentioned on the forum recently that they heard that the first two digits in the four-digit model numbers used for units such as the Big Country and Bighorn represents the length from the front of the main frame (where the frame transitions upwards to the upper deck) to the rear, in rounded number of feet (roughly 4 feet less than the pin to rear of unit length). That seems correct given we've had two different 36xx model Big Country units that were both around 40' pin to rear.

Grey Ghost

I have a 29MK Heartland Greystone and it is 34' from nose to toes. I think they measure from the front of the frame, where it starts to go up to the bed room to the rear of the unit. I know that is what I'm paying for when I store it. 34 feet so I measured it myself and yep, that is correct.

Alan_B

Ditto on fifth wheel length, my understanding is center of king pin to back of unit excluding ladder.

(although I admit I have never measured my unit and compared it to Heartland's published spec of 37' 10").