HELP! Boondocking and ACR-2 propane regulator malfunctioning?

David-and-Cheryl

We have an ACR-2 automatic changeover propane regulator. After filling both tanks (both were disconnected at the same time), the following happened:

• the regulator shows the red "empty" flag for both tags, regardless of the position of the selector lever
  • we can smell propane outside the rig
  • our generator won't start - it generated error code 36, which indicates a lack of fuel flow
  • BUT the refrigerator works on propane, and the propane stove also works

So my guess is that propane is in fact flowing through the regulator, but not at enough pressure to run the generator?

The huge problem right now is that we are boondocking in central Oregon for the eclipse, and must have the generator to charge our batteries for the next few days. If I need to replace the regulator, I'm SOL for the next three days.

It's odd, though, that this happened right after having both tanks disconnected, which is not something I usually do. Is there possibly something that can be reset on the regulator to get it to recognize both tanks again and restore normal propane pressure?

danemayer

Try closing the valves on both tanks and re-open them verrrrry slowly. If you open the valve quickly, the overflow protection device can trigger, restricting propane flow.

David-and-Cheryl

Try closing the valves on both tanks and re-open them verrrrry slowly. If you open the valve quickly, the overflow protection device can trigger, restricting propane flow.

Dan, you're a life saver as usual. That did it. I had actually seen that advice and tried it previously, but I guess I didn't open the valve slowly enough. This time I just barely cracked it and left it that way until the red flag cleared. Then I did the same on the other side. All is working great now.

Thank you for the quick reply and for your help!

David

David-and-Cheryl

So I still have something wrong in my propane system. I had both tanks open, no red flags on the changeover regulator, and the changeover lever set to feed from the right tank.

During the night, I awoke and smelled propane. I went outside and could feel and hear propane coming out of the vent in the right side (standard) regulator. I closed the right tank valve, which stopped the leak, and switched the changeover lever to draw from the left tank.

This morning, the generator wouldn't start. I looked at the changeover regulator and it showed a red flag for the left tank, even though that tank had propane and our refrigerator was still working on propane--just like yesterday. I closed the left tank valve, cracked it open, the flag disappeared and the generator was then able to start.

So, what is causing this? Is the standard regulator on the right side faulty? Should it ever be venting propane? And if it is faulty, would that cause the changeover regulator to show a red flag for the left tank and prevent normal propane pressure in the line? Is the leak on the right side tripping the OPD on the left?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danemayer

1. The regulator on the doorside needs to be replaced before using it again.
2. The dual-regulator can, depending on how it's set, allow the off-door-side tank to push propane out through the leak on the door side regulator.
3. If the leak was severe enough, it could trigger the overflow protection devices on the off-door-side tank, which might explain why you would have to close and reopen after changing the position on the dual-regulator.

David-and-Cheryl

1. The regulator on the doorside needs to be replaced before using it again.
2. The dual-regulator can, depending on how it's set, allow the off-door-side tank to push propane out through the leak on the door side regulator.
3. If the leak was severe enough, it could trigger the overflow protection devices on the off-door-side tank, which might explain why you would have to close and reopen after changing the position on the dual-regulator.

Ok, thanks. That's what I was guessing. Is replacing the doorside regulator something I can do myself? It doesn't look too complicated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danemayer

Installation is easy if you find one with fittings that are the same. Test for leaks at the connection with dish soap to see if bubbles appear indicating a leak.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

gasman

Camp Socializer
David, that usually is a 30# regulator. I would remove it and take it with you to make sure the fittings are the same. These little red regulators leak quite often.