Underbelly Water Leak

red4re

OK - after fixing all the other water leaks - shower, outside shower, sewer flush, kitchen sink - I thought I had all my water problems fixed.

I come home yesterday and notice a water puddle under the RV. It had rained earlier in the day, and the rest of the driveway was dry by the time I got home. So I get the creeper out and roll under the Sundance to check it out. Near the back, where the eletric jacks are, the underbelly was sagging quite a bit. I pushed up on it and it was full of water and gushed out anywhere it could find a way.

When I get home tonight, I am going to tackle trying to see where it is coming from. I get no water inside the rv that I can find. It has been parked for about a month and we have received a lot of rain in the last two weeks here in Texas. I have never taken off the underbelly, but it looks like just a few screws. What is on top off the underbelly? Insulation? Any ideas on how it could fill up that way? I have the bunkhouse in the back, and all my understorage is dry, so it has to be running in somewhere. I am not hooked up to water. No water lines in the back of the RV either. Fridge is off and AC is off.

thanks

Red

red4re

Thanks for all the replies! ;)

I got an answer from www.rv.net with some helpful instructions.

Basically, the underbelly material is too short and was not secured up under the back of the coach. Water was getting in by draining down the back of the rv and rolling under and going straight in the underbelly. I took the screws out of the back part and let the underbell drain. Of 8 screws I removed, 7 were broke. I guess they were overtorqued at the factory. There was just enough thread holding them in to keep the underbelly from coming loose. I am putting it back together tonight and sliding in a piece of sheetmetal to keep the underbelly tucked under so this will not continue. It looks like the underbelly is about a 1/4 inch too short.

I am going to check all the other screws as well. I am sure there are more broke. I also need to caulk the underbelly in the front because if I am driving when it is raining, the same thing will happen in the front. It will catch water while going down the road.

I hope the Factory takes note of some of these minor issues and can have better quality control in the future. Like the song says - It's the Little things.

red

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I had to put some more screws in the back of mine too. It was cut about 1/4 inch too short. When the screws were put in it didnot go through the material. I had to reattach it and instead of 2 screws I put 4 scews with large washers on them to the material would pull through the screws. I have not had any more problems since.