Heaviest 5th wheel on Andersen Ultimate 5th wheel hitch

Jwill18

I'm hoping to get some first-hand accounts of folks who have pulled a heavier 5th wheel on the Andersen Ultimate 5th wheel hitch. It seems to get good reviews but I can't get any clarity from folks who have pulled a heavier 5th wheel. My toy hauler is 17k gross.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
We have an AZ Chapter member named Hippy that tows his Cyclone with an Andersen hitch and loves it. No Issues! Also Paul & Candy from ID chapter pull their Landmark with an Andersen Hitch for a couple of years now and no issues. There are many members including myself that have the Andersen and would not give it up.

Bcf4life

I'm hoping to get some first-hand accounts of folks who have pulled a heavier 5th wheel on the Andersen Ultimate 5th wheel hitch. It seems to get good reviews but I can't get any clarity from folks who have pulled a heavier 5th wheel. My toy hauler is 17k gross.

I've run 17-18k on mine without any issue at all. Full water tanks, full load, and my water tank is up front so i have to run around 90 psi in my air bags with full water as opposed to 55-60 psi when running normal. Trailer unloaded is 3400 lb tongue, not sure with water but obviously much heavier. Hitch handles beautifully with all of it for at least 2k miles so far. Hope this helps, but if you have more specific questions i'll be glad to try to help

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

jleavitt11

retired Utah Chapter Leaders

I have about 6K now pulling my new Cyclone. Loaded were right at 20K. The hitch has been just awesome. I have had several differant types of hitches over the years and the Anderson is by far the best hitch I have ever used. Good luck.

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
6K sounds kind of high. What are you towing with?

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Dumboldles

This response is from observation at campgrounds we have stayed at; I have seen Andersen hitches, both the aluminum and steel models, on all kinds of larger type rigs. If having the opportunity to ask users of the system...all very positive. I sure like mine.

Dumboldles

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired

This response is from observation at campgrounds we have stayed at; I have seen Andersen hitches, both the aluminum and steel models, on all kinds of larger type rigs. If having the opportunity to ask users of the system...all very positive. I sure like mine.

Dumboldles

I'm also hoping to hear more from people hauling heavy or fifth wheels. We recently upgraded our Reese hitch to the Anderson. Have about 1500 miles, towing a 15k 5er. So far, it has been a very positive change. I will be removing the hitch and the adapter this weekend and checking to see if there is any damage to the bed or pin box. But so far, I do not see any issues.
I'm sure when we upgrade trailers in the future, it will be with a heavier model. So hoping to hear back from others.

Thanks

Bones

I'm also hoping to hear more from people hauling heavy or fifth wheels. We recently upgraded our Reese hitch to the Anderson. Have about 1500 miles, towing a 15k 5er. So far, it has been a very positive change. I will be removing the hitch and the adapter this weekend and checking to see if there is any damage to the bed or pin box. But so far, I do not see any issues.
I'm sure when we upgrade trailers in the future, it will be with a heavier model. So hoping to hear back from others.

Thanks

Let me know what you find out about your bed.

Mark-Roberta 051995

My wife and I have had ours for 2 years now towing a 43' Jayco Eagle Premier front living with a 2400 lb. tongue weight and weighed about 13,600. We are now upgrading to a LM 365 Charleston this Saturday and will keep the Andersen. 100% success rate and love how it tows and hooks up. The best part is that I can remove it by myself as the others are about 200 lbs. The new camper will be at about 3200 tongue weight once all completed with washer/dryer in the nose. We have put 5,764 miles since owning the hitch. I purchased the safety chain kit for added protection.

My Bighorn 3270 weighed in around 14500 with a pi weight generally around 3400 when I was using my Andersen. It destroyed the pin box within 7000 miles or so. Andersen wouldn’t do anything about it other than say some pin boxes aren’t strong enough for the pin adapter and deform like that. They did send me a spacer plate to put under the adapter long after the damage was done. I replaced the lippert 1621HD pin box with a fifth airborne. Very disappointed with Andersen, replaced it with a B&W puck mound which is much nicer in use, but a pain to lift into place.

Wmnmy

I have about 1000 miles on the Anderson hitch both with a short bed and now long bed truck pulling a big country 3965DSS with no problems. Easy to hitch up and the hitch came out to be stored in the trailer so I could use my bed with ease . I like it only down fall is I had to take the coupler off the trailer while it is Being worked on at the dealer so they didn't mess it up but it installed back on in minutes.

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
I have the metal funnel on the hitch vs the plastic. Only had La Mesa work on the trailer one time. They did have a forklift with a ball, but they aren't careful....dinged it up a little. The plastic red funnels are not as sustainable vs the metal. Several AZ members have had La Mesa break their funnel more than once, so I am with you. If you are going to have a dealer work on your rig, it is best to remove.