locking the propane tanks?

VTA_slug

I bought a 2017 cyclone 3600 and it has 2 propane tanks. One on each side. Now the doors do not have locks on them. Do they make locks for the doors or for the propane tanks? Just wondering on the options and solutions to keep people from stealing the tanks.
Thanks

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

DIYJunkie

I have a 2014 Torque 270HG with a tank on both sides behind doors that door not lock. I am able to lock the belly bands. Possibly the doors do not lock so that the valves can be accessed quickly.

danemayer

Locking the doors would be dangerous. In an emergency, access to close the tank valves quickly is necessary.

You could anchor a cable or chain to one of the walls and use it to secure the tanks.

pegmikef

I don't think I have ever heard of a propane tank being ripped off from the propane compartment, but I can see where it might be a problem in storage lots that don't have full time surveillance. I would think a lock on the belly band would keep honest people honest.

pjones1969

I lock the belly bands, like mentioned above you would want quick access to the valves in an emergency

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jbeletti

One time at a Heartland rally, a landmark caught fire inside and I ran over to it and turned off the propane tanks while others attended to the fire. Had the propane cabinet doors been locked and the fire been larger could've been a bigger problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We had a propane tank that was sitting beside our rig, by the front leg, walk off one time. Next door to us, a migrant pipeline worker was hitching up to move on. We made eye contact as I was leaving the rig. (I waved!) I was dressed up, going to a concert. Hubby's truck was also gone. We noticed the missing tank the next day. I think it was a crime of opportunity. We have another spare tank, but we keep it cable-locked to a nearby picnic table.

Many of our neighbors have spare tanks by their rigs.

I've never heard of folks having one stolen from inside the compartment.

gregw

I believe that mechanical code requires the gas shutoff valve to be accessible at all times. No locks on the doors but at the bands on the tanks.

Bogie

I run a bike cable and lock through the handles of mine. Not the greatest, but should deter a casual thief and it's still easy to shut off the tanks.

carl.swoyer

I saw two doors in the dumpster at an Rv body shop, and they had the locking handles, now I have the ability to lock my propane Doors.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

NYSUPstater

Not an expert, but do agree w/ the others that the tanks need to be accessible in an emergency. Old coach had no means to "secure" them in trailer. BC's tank's have the bands that can accept a small padlock. One could always get a HD locking cable and somehow manage to loop it thru the tanks handle and around someplace on the coach.

RoadJunkie

Funny....I have 2 tanks...but only one side has a lock.

Me too, off door side propane door has a lock in the handle, the door side does not. I believe this is caused by the fact that some models have the batteries in the lockable compartment instead of propane.

Nuclearcowboy

Locking the doors would be dangerous. In an emergency, access to close the tank valves quickly is necessary.

You could anchor a cable or chain to one of the walls and use it to secure the tanks.
I actually went to Home Depot and picked up two heavy duty cables. I attached them to the tanks and padlocked the other end to the frame holes of the front Lippert jacks. Works great - it would be a real task to try and steal them and I still have quick access to shut tanks off in an emergency. By the way, when we picked up our unit, the passenger side door also was lockable, but not the driver side. Dealer changed out the lockable latch with one that won't lock. They stated that it was actually against some manufacturing code to have these doors lockable.