Stromberg Carlson folding handrail

Relayman

had anyone installed a Stromberg
Carlson AC-544 folding handrail on their Big Horn , or Landmark ?
it goes out 36" ,and drops 45" for a more stable hand hold all the way up the stairs

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

farside291

I don't have the handrail but the full set of 4 steps...with a hand rail. Very sturdy and very good quality. I am sure the hand rail would be no different. I have often thought about mounting that hand rail on the opposite side of the steps but it would interfere with the door. FYI, the full steps will slide in the door without disassembly. I slide the steps over the existing steps and they line with the second or top step depending on the site. They have a very nice landing to lock and unlock the door. I was going to say the steps are only about $100 more but I just checked, the steps have gone up to almost $300.

rxbristol

Dave Tyler has one on his Big Horn and I have one on my Landmark. Both our spouses love them. If you order one, make sure you actually call the company and get the shims for the handle install--these are necessary to bring the handle out so it will close.

Relayman

Dave Tyler has one on his Big Horn and I have one on my Landmark. Both our spouses love them. If you order one, make sure you actually call the company and get the shims for the handle install--these are necessary to bring the handle out so it will close.
thank you for the heads up on the shims. will contact the vendor tomorrow.

dykesj11

Dave turned me on to this as well. We put on Torklift steps which we love but this hand rail makes the total entry/exit system really stable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Relayman

Dave turned me on to this as well. We put on Torklift steps which we love but this hand rail makes the total entry/exit system really stable.

Well. Its a done deal. Made my own shims. The shims Strongburg-Carlson supplies in only 3/16"
which won't allow the handrail to fold closed without touching the door handle. Mine are more like 1/2".
2f10828f1ceb69fc6ff4744666f499fa.jpg

dykesj11

Well. Its a done deal. Made my own shims. The shims Strongburg-Carlson supplies in only 3/16"
which won't allow the handrail to fold closed without touching the door handle. Mine are more like 1/2".
2f10828f1ceb69fc6ff4744666f499fa.jpg

That's different than the ones Dave and I put on. It appears to extend further out and has that vertical brace. I like it.

Relayman

That's different than the ones Dave and I put on. It appears to extend further out and has that vertical brace. I like it.

Thanks....We opted for the AC-544
Industrial handrail. it didn't come with shims..so I made my own. The factory shims are only 3/8" thick which wouldnt work for my application. mine are about 1/2".
which lets the vertical brace clear the door handle. Plus there are 4 holes per bracket so I had to drill
more holes. No hole-hole centerline dimensions, but...anyone with a tape measure and a pencil can get er done.

NewHopians

Looks great and sturdy. How does it look close and does mount in the existing handle mounts. I have a 2017 Bighorn Traveler 37SS. Thanks

dykesj11

Looks great and sturdy. How does it look close and does mount in the existing handle mounts. I have a 2017 Bighorn Traveler 37SS. Thanks

I'm going to throw this in. My Stromberg Carlson is a bit different but the mounting blocks look the same. Stock Heartland blocks have two mounting holes while the SC blocks have four. I mounted SC blocks with screws in the original holes and then drilled two more to complete the installation. Fortunately, there was solid material behind the new holes which held the screws solidly.

Relayman

I'm going to throw this in. My Stromberg Carlson is a bit different but the mounting blocks look the same. Stock Heartland blocks have two mounting holes while the SC blocks have four. I mounted SC blocks with screws in the original holes and then drilled two more to complete the installation. Fortunately, there was solid material behind the new holes which held the screws solidly.

Stromberg-Carlson also makes an extended rail system AM-533 , that mounts exactly ,and has the same footprint as the original. It extends out 25" ,and down 36" i believe.

Relayman

ilk post mine folded tomorrow,but in the meantime.
40db8b50c8a5df01a0b6f6a3d77d44f3.jpg

Here is a couple of shots. handrail closed, and a view to show how far it comes down in relation to the steps. Also, one shows a "gap" between the vertical brace and the door handle ( the 3/8" shims from S.- C. would allow it to rub and I didn't want that )
b52a913a4eb8e7a7f59fd80e56992c87.jpg
2d985c76936a2d1ea9c893c0dec4ad6c.jpg
0a39564a3162675bc39610179ae1838d.jpg

Relayman

Thanks that looks really good. What did you use to make your shims?
HA HA HA...I went to Wal-mart, bought a 3/8" teflon cutting board,
put a couple strips of 2" masking tape...took the top bracket off, traced four patterns...cut them out
( drilled the holes first )..cut them out. I also took a knife file..and cut a vertical groove on each so they would not hold water, took some files and "dressed" the edges.
Took the other bracket off as well
( easier to work with ). Used a 1/2" wrench, socket, and needle nose pliers.
Put a thin layer of putty on the camper wall, stuck one shim on...put clear silicone around the screw holes, put the other shim on, put silicone
around the screw holes..put the metal bracket on,aligned all parts, screwed if down a little at a time so the putty can squeeze out. Then kept on screwing it down until good and tight. cleaned up the sides, put the rail on..adjusted it...and you got it !