Perfect Computer For Your RV

Oregon_Camper

Ok...my wife and I found this awesome computer that is a bit bigger that a pack of gum...really!

We used to connect a laptop to the TV to watch movies and watch our Drone / Go Pro video's, but that was a huge pain...cords going everywhere...dog getting tangled in the video cable or power cord. :(

We put together a Blog w/ a video to about it. If you're interested, just click here -- Blog page.

Or if you just want to see the device, here is the link to it on Amazon.

Happy to answer any question. It is SOOOO nice having the PC out of the way. Even a laptop starts to take up space in an RV.

wdk450

Seems spamish or phishing. Ho about a pic or name here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CoDive:
A reasonable guide if you suspect a malicious post is to look at the number of posts made by the poster in their name cube on the left of the original post. Malicious posters will most likely have less than 10 posts to the forum.

Oregon Camper is a trusted, helpful long term contributor to this forum.

This USB stick computer is amazing, but I don't understand how you connect input/output devices - USB buss?

Aandaar

I was also wondering about storage can u add a external drive. Could I run quicken/quickbooks, PC games like SWOTR, etc?

Codive

CoDive:
A reasonable guide if you suspect a malicious post is to look at the number of posts made by the poster in their name cube on the left of the original post. Malicious posters will most likely have less than 10 posts to the forum.

This USB stick computer is amazing, but I don't understand how you connect input/output devices - USB buss?

Most everyone has had a hacked friend. Just being cautious.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
We use those Intel compute sticks to power dozens of digital signage systems across the campus where I work. They are very reliable and use very little power.
Most of them are on 24 hours a day and have been running for about a year and a half so far.

Alan_B

Are these only for internet browsing, or can you also run local programs?

(such as Microsoft Excel or Word).

Oregon_Camper

Seems spamish or phishing. Ho about a pic or name here?

Ok...I guess I can see that, but it isn't.

My wife and I started a Blog about 3 months ago and I got permission to post relevant topics here. I just like doing this stuff, sort of a new hobby. I had to learn video edit, setup a green screen at home (that was a blast), etc.

We are not full timing out of our RV and looking to be the next YouTube star...I just find it fun to share stuff I find help with our RV.

- - - Updated - - -

CoDive:

..thanks. :)

CoDive:

Interesting enough it has 3 USB 3.0 ports available out of the box. But I decided to had a small hub, which also has 2 dedicated charging ports (2.1amps & 1amp)

USB Port #1
two.JPG
USB Ports #2 and #3
three.JPG
View attachment 54191
Micro SD card slot...I have a 64gb card in mine with music and personal photos (but most photos we just view from our google drive)
one.jpg

Finally...the USB hub I use.
four.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

I was also wondering about storage can u add a external drive. Could I run quicken/quickbooks, PC games like SWOTR, etc?

External drive...no problem!! I was using an external USB drive (600gb) for our movies/tv shows. I use this drive to transfer drone videoI take during camping trips as well as Go Pro video we take while riding our dirt bikes.

Can easily run Quicken or Quickbooks. Not sure about intense computer games like SWOTR or Doom like games. I have not tried playing games on this...but I can try one and report back to you.

- - - Updated - - -

Are these only for internet browsing, or can you also run local programs?

(such as Microsoft Excel or Word).

The one I have in an Intel "m5" processor, which can run office with no problems. There is also a Intel "i5" version, which has a lot more compute power, but pulls a bit more power (because it IS more powerfull :) )

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Interesting, albeit expensive. Looks from the video that you need a wireless keyboard to use the TV as your computer. My experience with wireless keyboards at home is not good, so I use a wired one with my laptop at home and its "chicklet" keyboard at the rig. A HDMI cable from the laptop to the TV above it works for displaying stuff, when needed.

Oregon_Camper

Interesting, albeit expensive. Looks from the video that you need a wireless keyboard to use the TV as your computer. My experience with wireless keyboards at home is not good, so I use a wired one with my laptop at home and its "chicklet" keyboard at the rig. A HDMI cable from the laptop to the TV above it works for displaying stuff, when needed.

Nothing stopping you from using a wired keyboard (and mouse), as there are 3 USB ports...but man that would be one long cable back to couch/chair. :cool:

I've been using wireless keyboards at home for years....love them. Not sure which one you used, but my Logitech wireless keyboard at home is a ROCK STAR. The one in the RV is nice, but I wanted to reference a lower cost wireless keyboard in the video, but you could easily drop $100+ on a really nice wireless keyboard.

JohnDar

Nothing stopping you from using a wired keyboard (and mouse), as there are 3 USB ports...but man that would be one long cable back to couch/chair. :cool:

I've been using wireless keyboards at home for years....love them. Not sure which one you used, but my Logitech wireless keyboard at home is a ROCK STAR. The one in the RV is nice, but I wanted to reference a lower cost wireless keyboard in the video, but you could easily drop $100+ on a really nice wireless keyboard.

With our floorplan, the main TV is directly over the computer desk, so a short HDMI is all it takes. We've used it to stream some programs via the laptop to the TV, or display photos to guests. Must have been using cheaper wireless keyboards/mice. They either ate batteries or quit working when I needed them most. So I went to a USB keyboard & mouse plugged into a hub for the laptop while at home.

Oregon_Camper

With our floorplan, the main TV is directly over the computer desk, so a short HDMI is all it takes. We've used it to stream some programs via the laptop to the TV, or display photos to guests. Must have been using cheaper wireless keyboards/mice. They either ate batteries or quit working when I needed them most. So I went to a USB keyboard & mouse plugged into a hub for the laptop while at home.

What? You mean everyone doesn't have MY floorplan and same issues? LOL :cool:

Not sure why I didn't even consider other floorplans...(smacking myself on my forehead!)

JohnDar

I think they discontinued my original 3670 floorplan back in 2011.

Codive

Thank you. No offense intended. Just concerned about you being hacked and someone else being phished. Thanks for the info. looks cool

Terryd91

There are a lot of options for "stick" computers these days. The Intel version is probably the most stable and has the most options but is also the most expensive. Other manufacturers have made them, mostly with intel atom based processors for a lot less but they are also not as powerful. If you just want to browse the web or check email the atom based devices are great, and are normally around $100. The problem with all the stick pcs is that they are normally very limited on storage and the amount of installed ram. Again, if just browsing the web or checking email they are fine. We initially bought a few to see if we could use them as conference pcs that would be hidden behind the 70" tvs we are using. They ended up not having the processing power we needed. I found that the Lenovo m700 micro pcs to be perfect. I series processors, expandable ram, ssd harddrive,built in wifi with a small whip antenna and a ton of usb ports. They are about the same price as the intel computestick, but offer some expandability. they will fit behind pretty much any tv as they are tiny and you can get a vesa mount. I have a 3 year old daughter who loves movies so i just bring a 4tb portable hard drive with us and plug it in to the pc and she can watch anything i have saved. great for rainy days!

esscobra

if any one is interested in the lenovos- I am a Lenovo partner and custom order them with hdmi out puts to connect directly to tv and with larger ssds etc or get you good pricing and I keep the brackets in stock . I have been selling them as desktop replacements to retal customers fo over 5 years- can still get them with windows 7 installed if you need it- pm wit ay questions

Terryd91

if any one is interested in the lenovos- I am a Lenovo partner and custom order them with hdmi out puts to connect directly to tv and with larger ssds etc or get you good pricing and I keep the brackets in stock . I have been selling them as desktop replacements to retal customers fo over 5 years- can still get them with windows 7 installed if you need it- pm wit ay questions

Where were you when I bought 10 of them lol.

esscobra

guess you wont wanna know about the extra discount for 5 or more and new customer bonus discounts I can get-

porthole

Retired
windows 7 installed if you need it- pm wit ay questions

I use a Macbook, with WIn7 using Parallels.
Deb has always had a Win laptop of which I always reminded her not to accept any download to upgrade windows.

It happened and it wasn't until I got one of the "how of I do this" questions that I saw it.

I never liked having to learn any of the new upgrades, and I especially don't like Win 8-10 etc.

Nice to see we can still get op systems we want installed on equipment

Terryd91

I use a Macbook, with WIn7 using Parallels.
Deb has always had a Win laptop of which I always reminded her not to accept any download to upgrade windows.

It happened and it wasn't until I got one of the "how of I do this" questions that I saw it.

I never liked having to learn any of the new upgrades, and I especially don't like Win 8-10 etc.

Nice to see we can still get op systems we want installed on equipment

For now... the 7th gen intel chips are windows 10 only.

All require windows 10:

• Intel seventh (7th)-generation processors
  • AMD “Bristol Ridge”
  • Qualcomm “8996"

10 isn't horrible to get used to, 8 and 8.1 i hated because of the metro interface that was not fun to manage.