Extending Main 50amp Line In

Oregon_Camper

I'm planning to add a GoPower IC-2000 (3 devices in 1 --> 2k Inverter, 100amp converter, transfer switch)

I need to keep this within 10 feet of my battery bank (closer is even better), so I want to install it in the front compartment.

Problem is, I don't think the main power cord coming in (50amp from shore) is long enough to reach the front compartment.

Can you splice 50amp (6/4) wire?

Wanted to get input from the experts here, before I attempt this on my own.

Thanks everyone!! :)

danemayer

You get get 6 awg butt splices at Lowes. But they need to be inside a junction box and insulated.

rahewett

You can get these connectors at an electrical supply house. They are already insulated but you should also put them in a junction box.
ecba0fa9b8315df3856b9c16fd4a06af.jpg
8a772c85e76b8b02930264039c8271b3.jpg

Sent from my XT1093 using Tapatalk

wdk450

On my Bighorn the power inlet is on the Off Door side at the rear, the cable then comes up to the utilities crawlspace in the front (behind the cargo bay) where it connects with the transfer switch, then on to the inside circuit breaker panel. Actually, mine also goes through the Progressive EMS box/contactor, before going on to the circuit breaker distribution panel. Maybe the transfer switch point is much closer to where you want to be for your inverter/converter/switch. If your rig came with the generator prep option (I think most did), then you should have that existing transfer switch in the power wiring path, and could substitute your system there. The power converter/charger is also within a few feet of the transfer switch.

Check out the specs on your converter/charger system checking if the charger is a multi-stage charger. Single stage chargers yield much shorter battery life.

esscobra

I'm planning to add a GoPower IC-2000 (3 devices in 1 --> 2k Inverter, 100amp converter, transfer switch)

I need to keep this within 10 feet of my battery bank (closer is even better), so I want to install it in the front compartment.

Problem is, I don't think the main power cord coming in (50amp from shore) is long enough to reach the front compartment.

Wanted to get input from the experts here, before I attempt this on my own.

Thanks everyone!! :)

"Problem is, I don't think the main power cord coming in (50amp from shore) is long enough to reach the front compartment." why would you need to extend your main shoreower? you have the progressive correct? your shorepower should be going to that-so from that you can run cable to inverter and at same time run cable from inverter to your main distribution panel

Oregon_Camper

"Problem is, I don't think the main power cord coming in (50amp from shore) is long enough to reach the front compartment." why would you need to extend your main shoreower? you have the progressive correct? your shorepower should be going to that-so from that you can run cable to inverter and at same time run cable from inverter to your main distribution panel

You are 100% correct in a normal setup...however my OCD kicked in and I wanted to move the EMS to the front compartment to have it next to the IC-2000.

After much consideration and a lot of measuring distance with some string, I decided to move the IC-2000 to the area behind the pass-through wall. In the end I had to let go of my OCD desire to have everything up front where I could route cables and have it all look great...to having it hidden behind the wall.

Still working on it today...all wires were ran yesterday and removed existing Go Power! 50amp Transfer Switch as well as the Progressive 80amp Converter. (as well as record and photograph everything for our Blog :) )

carl.swoyer

Just curious how much are you spending on all that.
A Magnum Ms 2812 might be something to look at . Self contained, built in transfer, 125 amp programable Charging and pass through technology.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk