calcium?

diamondl

We have been traveling and/or full timing for 35 years or more and have stumbled on a new hitch in our giddyup. Suddenly we have a white (looks like oatmeal) showing up in the faucet screens, valves, and worst of all the commode valving. It's not too bad for the faucets, but to take the commode out and apart to clean these little pieces of something out is a pain. Does anyone know what they are and how to get rid of them?
DiamondL

Lynn1130

Hard water. There are water softeners that can be attached to your water line and pretty much eliminate this issue. A search of someplace like Amazon will give you some choices.

rxbristol

Yep, hard water. Here at the SKP Ranch in NM, where we are currently staying, has very soft water due to their reverse osmosis system, but folks stated that before it was installed, most RV water systems would clog up within two years.

Lynn1130

They are using RO for the entire park? I hope they came up with a new system that does not waste water like the regular RO. We have limited water here in the West.

diamondl

All this is well and good for the future (and I'm looking at water softeners now), but what about the lines and holding tank now? There's a lotta crud coming down the line.

Lynn1130

I cannot imagine that the lines have restricted in this short of a period and the metal parts are more likely to gather calcium than plastic lines. We have some of the hardest water anywhere here in Arizona and damage does not happen in a few months. Soft water running through the lines will help clear some of the calcium that may have started to accumulate.

Also what you could be seeing is plastic filings from construction on the tanks during building. Most of us have had that and it will plug screens so they have to be removed and cleared but once most of it has flowed out you will not see more.

Smitty325

We have been traveling and/or full timing for 35 years or more and have stumbled on a new hitch in our giddyup. Suddenly we have a white (looks like oatmeal) showing up in the faucet screens, valves, and worst of all the commode valving. It's not too bad for the faucets, but to take the commode out and apart to clean these little pieces of something out is a pain. Does anyone know what they are and how to get rid of them?
DiamondL
It could be calcium carbonate, which (while harmless to humans) leaves this residue you describe. Small communities use it to line the inside of aging water pipes to extend their life.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk