Do I buy a new RAM 2500 or not.

Bogie

I have a question I would like to put out there to the collective consciousness.

My RV is a Sundance 245RL. Weight around 7K lbs.

I am considering new tow vehicle of a 2500 Dodge RAM with factory installed 5[SUP]th[/SUP] wheel prep. The concern I have is the height of the truck bed. It’s appx. 6 inches higher than my current TV. My hitch is a Superglide 4100, which means it does not fit Industry Standard Rails (ISR). RV currently sits about 6 inches above the truck sides when hitched.

In my conversations with Pullrite, they said I would have to get the Dodge in bed kit (#4439) , and an adapter kit (#4409) to match my hitch to the Dodge setup. This would raise the hitch about 4 ½ inches from its current position, making the total rise between the new bed height plus the hitch about 10 ½ inches higher than the current setup.

My concern is that this will cause the RV to ride a bit nose high. I can raise the pin box 2 inches higher, but since I can’t lift the height of the RV, I have look at the hitch.

I don’t think I can put Pullrite’s ISR kit #2746 because the under body brackets will probably interfere with the factory prep mounts.

Only other option I can think of is a Reese 30145 rail kit and a new Superglide 2700 which fits ISR. (Did I mention I really like the Suerglide?) The cost difference between these two options is roughly and additional $450 for the Superglide 2700.

So any experience or advice you have would be appreciated. I’m going to talk to the dealer tomorrow about the truck.

Thanks in advance or any wisdom.

farside291

I bought the Ram 3500 version and it was a lot higher than my 2003 Chevrolet 3500. But, I set my hitch height exactly the same as what I had in my Chevy and believe it or not my BC pushed the Ram down almost a full inch more than my Chevy. I am sure the Ram has a much softer leaf suspension than the Chevy. Also, the Ram 2500's have coils in the rear. So they also may compress more. You could find someone who is towing a fifth wheel with an equivalent Ram 2500 and ask to connect yours to their truck to see how it sits.

kf5qby

Another option would be a gooseneck ball instead of the 5th wheel and replace the pin-box to match. You would have to make sure the trailer would clear the bed sides.

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
I have a 16 Ram 3500 SRW with the Andersen Gooseneck and it works great. It has three levels for adjustment and I am set on the middle level with more than ample clearance from the bed rails.
By the way, I was going to buy a new XLT with my 2011 2500 and was 400 lbs overweight for the truck bed with my 55 gal bed fuel tank. So I went with a new truck and full profile Sundance.
Good luck in your decision.

jnbhobe

Look at a 3500 Not much more money and a lot more truck

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

If you're spending money on adaptors spend a few hundred more and get the Andersen. Everyone is swearing by them. This is my first pickup with no rails and it is really nice. I wouldn't get a hitch with rails again. My two cents 🤷🏻*♂️

Bogie

Thanks you all for your input. I took a look at the Anderson Ultimate and it looks promising Also, when you add up the cost of rails and adapter kits for the Superglide, it really doesn't cost more. Go figure. I also like the idea of not having to lift the hitch with a come-a-long to remove it like I have to do with the Superglied.

Next step....visit the RAM dealer.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Unless you plan on going to a much larger 5th-wheel trailer in a few years . . . a 2500 will more than enough truck for your current rig.

'Lil Guy'

With my Ram 4X4 I had the nose high problem Was able to solve it by adding the Correct track to the trailer(2" lift) and adding 1" larger wheels with a higher load rating with taller sidewalls. Like John says, more than enough truck unless you int3end to upgrade later for one of the big heavy rigs.

Bogie

Thanks Lil Guy. Your suggestion regarding Correct Track gives me another option to resolve the problem.

By the way....I brought the new RAM 2500 home yesterday. :cool:

szewczyk_john

I second the opinion of looking at the 3500. They are not all that much more than an equally equipped 2500 and you have so much more room for cargo or future upgrades. You might even be able to find more of a selection in trucks because most dealers that have heavy duty trucks order more 3500s than 2500s, so you should have more to pick from.

Razorbackfan

USN Chief
Nice truck! I like the white look, just remember that you have to buy the gooseneck ball kit to attach the Anderson (110 on amazon with Curt) or if you do mopar its 230 bucks and if you want the chains it's an additional 70 bucks.
I bought the Anderson last week and now I'm having to order the other two kits to make it work.

Bogie

Nice truck! I like the white look, just remember that you have to buy the gooseneck ball kit to attach the Anderson (110 on amazon with Curt) or if you do mopar its 230 bucks and if you want the chains it's an additional 70 bucks.
I bought the Anderson last week and now I'm having to order the other two kits to make it work.

Thanks Razorbakfan. I spoke with the rep from Anderson who told me the same thing.

BigGuy82

Unless you plan on going to a much larger 5th-wheel trailer in a few years . . . a 2500 will more than enough truck for your current rig.

I have a philosophy. ALWAYS buy more truck than you need today. Sooner or later you're go gonna need it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I have a philosophy. ALWAYS buy more truck than you need today. Sooner or later you're go gonna need it.

That may be true . . .

However, for the OP a 2500 is way more truck than he needs.

We bought our 2500HD three years ago as it was way more truck than we needed for our previous Heartland TT, but when we had some major mechanical issues with our two year old TT we decided to upgrade to a 5'ver, but we chose the 5'ver to fit the truck.

Next time we buy a new truck it will be overkill for our Prowler as we plan on upgrading in a few years to a bigger 5'ver when we retire (probably 10 years).

Until then we will keep our Prowler (have had it a little over two years now).

- - - Updated - - -

Looking sweet!

I've been a Dodge truck fan most of my driving days, but wound up with a Chevy last time around

So far my Chevy 2500HD has been great!

I do miss my last Dodge, though . . .

TaosTruckAtGorge-P1020821.jpg