Replacing ice maker line

travlingman

I am in the process of installing a SS braided ice maker line. Have the line ran from under kitchen sink through underbelly and into slide up to the fridge. Now is my question. Is there any other way other than pulling the fridge out of slide to hook up the new line? Is there a trick someone found when doing theirs to hook it up?

CoveredWagon

I am in the process of installing a SS braided ice maker line. Have the line ran from under kitchen sink through underbelly and into slide up to the fridge. Now is my question. Is there any other way other than pulling the fridge out of slide to hook up the new line? Is there a trick someone found when doing theirs to hook it up?

I believe you'll find the line attaches to the fridge at the service panel on the outside of the Rv it should attach to a solenoid valve. Blue if I remember correctly.

Ace11

I just ran the SS Line last week - My 2017 3875FB doesn't have the access door either - I ( with the help of jestalkn) unscrewed the bottom plate and (4) bolts holding down the front of the Refrig and pulled ( and pulled some more) the refrig out - yes - a pain in the butt - scratched up the molding a little ( ok - a lot) - But got the sucker all installed

Yes some swearing was involved like most of my projects ! !

jbeletti

When changing out the 1/4" poly line with the SS braided line - yes, always better to go all the way to the water solenoid on the back of the refer. But, if pulling the refer out to do so is just too daunting, *connect the SS line to the poly in the lower cabinet next the refer. I did this on 2 RVs and it held for the length I used those units.

* I used a Compression Union to connect the SS line to the 1/4" poly line. You'll discard 1 nut and ferrule from the union. See product image in a picture 10 of 37 in post 374 in this thread.

CoveredWagon

I wonder if a person could attach the new ss line to the old poly line under the sink and pull it through to the fridge ? ��

Ace11

I was able to pull is down thru the Island and over to the Frame of the Camper - From there you need to thread it thru the Frame - under he slide - behind the Rang and over to Refrg - Maybe can do with one person - but it does get hung up and you have to go back and forth - When you get done - your glad its over ! ! !

travlingman

Can you explain more on just how you did it. I need to do mine on my BH? Thanks

I bought a 25' braided line and started at the connection at sink. I used a connector I bought at Lowe's to hook the new and old lines together. The only problem I had was getting it started under the sink. The line goes down into the underbelly and I couldn't get it to go more that a few inches where the connection would get hung up. After searching with my fingers, I used a camera and found the old line was ran between the pex going to sink and a power line that had the black plastic wrap around it. This was causing the connection to hang. I was able to use my fingers and pull the wrapped line away and then push the new line through. After I did this, I was able to pull the line through from the frame. Once at frame, I removed a couple of screws from underbelly and got my hand up to push connection through frame.

I followed old line over to the other side of the slide where the line goes up into it. I used a drimel tool to make the opening a little larger to pass new line up into slide, and then pulled up to fridge. The 25' line would just barely reach the fridge, so I added a 5' piece to make it easier to connect.

I was expecting the hard part to be getting the fridge out, but it was easy. Up top remove the decorative board and the frame behind it. There is then a "L" bracket on back of fridge connecting it to wall with 2 screws. I removed the 2 screws in the wall. Under the fridge, take off the plastic piece and there is a screw on each side by the front casters attaching it to floor. I removed these. I had some old 2" x 4"'s and some 2" x 10"'s laying around and found that laying the 2x10 on top of the 2x4 was the perfect height for a platform to roll the fridge out onto. I put some cardboard to cover the wood molding and it rolled out easily. Make sure the fridge electric cord and old water line are pushed through hole in cabinet to the fridge side so they don't get hung up when you pull fridge out.

When I hooked up the new line, I made a small bracket out of some scrap sheet metal(actually and old bracket for drapes) and bent it around the new line and then connected to back of fridge to hold the line and keep it from pulling against the connection to the fridge.

I know this sounds like alot, but it was easy. Without the initial problem of getting line to start under the sink, it would have been an easy afternoon project by myself. It also gave me a reason to by the inspection camera(new toy) at Harbor Freight. Think it was around $30.

Piperflyer

Travelingman, I broke out a sweat just reading this fix. I'm gonna have to think if it's worth the trouble or just buy some ice cube trays. Thanks for the help.

travlingman

Piperflyer,

I know my write up makes it sound hard, but it isn't. I probably went into to much step by step, but it is really easy. Check under the sink, see if you can get it pulled through, and in a little bit you will have ice and cold water in the front door of the fridge.