ATF: Mallard - M32 Second A/C with no prewire

Captainmike

I have a 2017 early production model M32 with 30 amp service. Is it possible to convert it to 50 amps and route the wires for a second AC unit in the bunkhouse? I really don't want any wires hanging off the top that I have to plug into a separate outlet. Thank you in advance.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I would not want to convert to 50 amp service as that would be a lot of work. I would involve a new shore cord and plug on the trailer as well as new wire from that plug to the breaker panel that may also need to be replaced. New breakers there at the very least.
You might consider looking into some plastic raceway that sticks to the ceiling, comes in white and does a good job at hiding wires.
Then install a male plug to the outside of the trailer and use a good extension cord to run the AC.
Here are a couple of ideas for that.
Cable Raceway
RV 20 amp male plug this is a 30 amp but they do make a 20 amp. You get the idea.

Peace
Dave

I know that this is an older thread, but we just had our 2017 M325 upgraded from 230 amp to 50 amp. Our Dealer did the work of replacing the main cable and control box as well as the 50 amp exterior plug. We had originally added a separate 30 amp plug for the second AC, but had it wired into the new control box as well. Total Cost was $1,800. Its been great to run the appliances we need with popping the breaker..

Captainmike

I know that this is an older thread, but we just had our 2017 M325 upgraded from 230 amp to 50 amp. Our Dealer did the work of replacing the main cable and control box as well as the 50 amp exterior plug. We had originally added a separate 30 amp plug for the second AC, but had it wired into the new control box as well. Total Cost was $1,800. Its been great to run the appliances we need with popping the breaker..
Thank you so much for the info

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Captainmike

Who did you get to do the work? Did they have to take the ceiling and part to put the second pre-wire in for the a/c?

Captainmike

Who did you get to do the work? Is there anyway you could send me some pics? I would really appreciate that!

camping world in Raleigh did the work and did a good job. they even rewired the 2nd AC from add 30amp plug to the 2nd leg of the new box. not may picture to post as there is not much to see..

Captainmike

Is all of the wire from the second air conditioner hidden? And how did they route it if you know? Sorry for all the questions I just happen to have a short run from where my second air conditioner will be located 2 the main breaker box. There is also a real nice Channel running down the middle of the camper, ie air conditioning duct. I was thinking I could possibly route the wire down the air condition duct and then into the cabinet where my breaker box is located. I hate modifications that look like modifications. Thanks Mike
Thank you

They hid all the wiring. they ran it in a channel in ceiling over the bathroom and down to the breaker box. They were not going to do that originally but once they got in there, they found the channel and off they went.. I have 3 CWs within 2 hours and i talked to all 3 and had them all 3 quote the job. there was an 800 swing from lowest to highest bid. in the end i went with Raleigh team because they asked me how i wanted things done and didn't try to BS me about the process (turned out they were also the lowest bid) I was actually kinda shocked at the high level of service and impressed with the work.. this was camping world after all..

Is all of the wire from the second air conditioner hidden? And how did they route it if you know? Sorry for all the questions I just happen to have a short run from where my second air conditioner will be located 2 the main breaker box. There is also a real nice Channel running down the middle of the camper, ie air conditioning duct. I was thinking I could possibly route the wire down the air condition duct and then into the cabinet where my breaker box is located. I hate modifications that look like modifications. Thanks Mike

Captainmike

They hid all the wiring. they ran it in a channel in ceiling over the bathroom and down to the breaker box. They were not going to do that originally but once they got in there, they found the channel and off they went.. I have 3 CWs within 2 hours and i talked to all 3 and had them all 3 quote the job. there was an 800 swing from lowest to highest bid. in the end i went with Raleigh team because they asked me how i wanted things done and didn't try to BS me about the process (turned out they were also the lowest bid) I was actually kinda shocked at the high level of service and impressed with the work.. this was camping world after all..
Great info! Thank you so much.