GoPower IC2000 - WOW...this thing is awesome!

Oregon_Camper

You guys might have seen my earlier topic on how to increase my 50amp power line into our RV. Well...that was to power this new toy. :cool:

If you've ever considered adding a 2000w Pure Sine Wave Inverter to your RV, you might consider this as an option. By using this device you can avoid having to wire in a sub-panel and transfer switch...plus you don't need to remember to turn off your converter if you're using this while the inverter on (avoiding power loop cycle). It will also replace your current converter.

Oh...I'm having a blast with my new "green screen"...you'll see that put to use in the opening segment of the video. Yep..I'm kinda geeky, but I know it. :)

Anyhoot....here is a link to our Blog if you want to read more about it, but if you'd just like to watch the YouTube video...click one the image below.

Hope you enjoy it.

IC-2000 - YouTube & Blog Icon.jpg

Here is the before layout for my system.

one.jpg

Here is the after layout for my system.

two.jpg

Last edited:

Alan_B

Jim, as I understand your "after" diagram, the shore power and solar system (via the battery bank) are feeding the IC2000, which is then powering the 120v and 12v systems in the RV.

Could you also connect an on-board generator to the IC2000 as another input? Then the IC2000 would sort out all three inputs and feed the rest of the system?

One other question: what is the function of the Energizer 1,100 watt inverter in the system?

Thanks

dave10a

Jim, as I understand your "after" diagram, the shore power and solar system (via the battery bank) are feeding the IC2000, which is then powering the 120v and 12v systems in the RV.

Could you also connect an on-board generator to the IC2000 as another input? Then the IC2000 would sort out all three inputs and feed the rest of the system?

One other question: what is the function of the Energizer 1,100 watt inverter in the system?

Thanks
If you have shore power and generator, you will need to keep your existing transfer switch and connect that output to the input on the gp-ic-2000.

SNOKING

Nice write up/video on inverter/charger. On our previous 30A SOB 29' 5er, I had a Freedom 10 1000W inverter/50A charger with built in 30A transfer switch and a remote panel. All in a similar installation, however working with a single leg 30A AC system.

One additional step I took was based on the fact that my Honda generator at the time was a eu1000i that would not power the charger in the Freedom 10. So I left the converter in the trailer and install a 15A marine input on the side of the trailer and routed it thru a AC switch so the old converter could charge the batteries while dry camping, while the Freedom 10 would run the micro wave, DW hair drier, TV's and sat equipment etc.

The nice thing was the generator could run out of fuel and be allowed to cool before refueling while the inverter kept the TV and Sat equipment online!

If our nevercold 2118 fails, I will follow your lead and install this same setup and a residential refer. I will most likely leave the 80A converter and install a separate input for our new eu2000i to charge batteries while dry camping.

Thanks, you just saved me a lot of research. Chris

Oregon_Camper

The "transfer switch" for this is internal for the Shore Power and Inverter power. If you have a permanently mounted generator in your RV (we don't) then you would simply add an external transfer switch to handle the hand-off of power between shore and your generator. I carry a small external Yamaha generator (hardly ever use now that I have so much solar) that I just plug in the the shore power cable to and therefore no need for a second transfer switch.

If you're interested, I also did a video on how to wire a transfer switch...you can watch that by clicking here. Oh...this was my first attempt with a 'green screen" so you can see some slight halo effect, as I was still learning how to light and edit video's in Adobe Premier.

Thanks

Good eyes...:)

That was installed within the first month we owned the Bighorn. We had to find a solution for the Theater Chairs, as they only open/close on AC power. I installed this and ran a single romex line to the back of the Bighorn and installed a separate 120v outlet I also ran cabling for a remote on/off switch next to that outlet. This way we can open/close our theater seats when we dry camp.

Now that I have the IC2000 installed, the Energizer inverter is no longer needed. I'll leave it in for when we sell this RV, because I'm taking the IC2000 with me. :)

Oregon_Camper

If our nevercold 2118 fails, I will follow your lead and install this same setup and a residential refer. I will most likely leave the 80A converter and install a separate input for our new eu2000i to charge batteries while dry camping.

Thanks, you just saved me a lot of research. Chris

IMHO...I'd think you'll be better off, especially while dry camping, by just using your Honda generator and allowing the IC2000 to handle all the charging and inverting algorithms.

I chatted with Go Power tech support about 5 times as I was doing the video, as I didn't want to get anything wrong. :)

While reading the manual, I came across their "Power Share" feature. While I have not tested this yet (plan to at the PNW Rally in 2 weeks) the feature will combine the 2000w from battery inverter, along with the 2000w from my small Yamaha generator and will then run the AC unit. I know the starting of the AC unit is the big power drain, so I'm hoping once it is up an running, that the generator can handle most of the power needs. Time will tell on how this works and how much it will drain my 3 Trojan batteries.

SNOKING

IMHO...I'd think you'll be better off, especially while dry camping, by just using your Honda generator and allowing the IC2000 to handle all the charging and inverting algorithms.

I chatted with Go Power tech support about 5 times as I was doing the video, as I didn't want to get anything wrong. :)

While reading the manual, I came across their "Power Share" feature. While I have not tested this yet (plan to at the PNW Rally in 2 weeks) the feature will combine the 2000w from battery inverter, along with the 2000w from my small Yamaha generator and will then run the AC unit. I know the starting of the AC unit is the big power drain, so I'm hoping once it is up an running, that the generator can handle most of the power needs. Time will tell on how this works and how much it will drain my 3 Trojan batteries.

Have you tested that the 2000w generator will kickoff a 100 amp charger when the batteries are pulled down to 50 percent? Thanks Chris

Oregon_Camper

Have you tested that the 2000w generator will kickoff a 100 amp charger when the batteries are pulled down to 50 percent? Thanks Chris

No...I have not tested that. I just installed it this week. :cool:

And I don't have any plans to let my batteries get down to 50%....Yikes!!

You can adjust the charge, based on power you have coming in.

I know you read the user manual, but did you also read the manual for the remote display? If not, you can open it with this link. This panel offers all the configuration (soooo many) options for the device.
http://gpelectric.com/files/gpelectric/documents/PDF/Manual_GP-ICR-50.pdf

SNOKING

So, I do not believe that it would transition from Inverter to generator or vice-versa without causing the Sat box to restart, I may be wrong however. The way our old SOB worked we had a serial setup with the generator/inverter charging the batteries while the Freedom 10 power the TV and Sat box without interruption. While on shore power we always used the 50 amp 4 stage charger in the Freedom 10.

Chris

tlc

You guys might have seen my earlier topic on how to increase my 50amp power line into our RV. Well...that was to power this new toy. :cool:

If you've ever considered adding a 2000w Pure Sine Wave Inverter to your RV, you might consider this as an option. By using this device you can avoid having to wire in a sub-panel and transfer switch...plus you don't need to remember to turn off your converter if you're using this while the inverter on (avoiding power loop cycle). It will also replace your current converter.

Oh...I'm having a blast with my new "green screen"...you'll see that put to use in the opening segment of the video. Yep..I'm kinda geeky, but I know it. :)

Anyhoot....here is a link to our Blog if you want to read more about it, but if you'd just like to watch the YouTube video...click one the image below.

Hope you enjoy it.

View attachment 54337

View attachment 54338

Hope you enjoy it.

View attachment 54337

View attachment 54338

View attachment 54339
I have an Intel Power converter on my Cyclone 3600 and want to put in a MPPT controller. I am a total idiot when it comes to all this electrical stuff.
According to your setup I still have to have a converter where the Intel power is located in the system, correct? I plan on installing panels in the near future.

centerline

I have an Intel Power converter on my Cyclone 3600 and want to put in a MPPT controller. I am a total idiot when it comes to all this electrical stuff.
According to your setup I still have to have a converter where the Intel power is located in the system, correct? I plan on installing panels in the near future.
when installing solar, DONT MESS WITH the existing charging system, inverter, converter or other parts of a properly working system..... install the panels and the controller, with the wires from the controller directly to the batteries, using the proper fusing in the event of a short...

the mppt controller will have at least 4 connection ports/terminals PV+, PV-, B+, B-.... then FIRST, connect BOTH LEADS from the battery to the respective terminals of the controller....
now place a blanket or other covering over the panels so they arent producing voltage.... then SECOND, connect the panel voltage wires into their respective ports.... insure the lugs are properly tightened to prevent heat build up and insure dependability.... afterwards, remove the blanket from the panels..... instant power!!!. your done.

a lot of mppt controllers are equipped with a "load" terminal, which some controllers allow you reverse the operation of this terminal....
the most common use for this terminal is for automatically operating a night light.... as soon as the sun sets far enough for the panels to drop out, the load terminal becomes live, and will supply electricity... then, in the AM when the sun rises and starts the panels, the terminal shuts down it power to turn the night light off... this terminal can also be used with a switch in the line, to independently shut off the light when is not wanted....

reversing the operation so it comes ON in the daytime, and shuts down at night, is done in the user programming of some models of controllers, but most people in RV's dont use the "Load" terminal anyway...

Last edited:

tlc

Thank you! Didn't think about doing that. Do I need to turn off my converter when I am not plugged into shoreline or when Im on solar? Seems like it pulls a lot of juice when not plugged into shoreline.

SLO

You do not need to turn off converter. The converter does nothing unless it’s plugged into shore power. Your solar does not go through converter (converter has nothing to do with solar charging).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk